Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
December 20, 2014, 07:04:43 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: By clicking on any ad, a hotlink takes you directly to the advertiserís website.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Skinning/covering window openings...ever try this?  (Read 483 times)
arutkow

Ignore
« on: April 26, 2013, 09:49:43 PM »

I saw this on another site, and I was wondering if anyone else had tried this or heard of it...

http://www.gypsyjournal.net/bus_conversion_page_3.htm

On the bottom of that page, it shows how the windows of their MCI were covered with Luan, foam insulation, and fiberglass sheets.

Looks good, but is it sturdy? I like the idea of less seams.

-Abram

Jeremy

1987 Bedford Plaxton

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2013, 01:50:12 AM »

I replaced my windows with foam-sandwich fibreglass panels which I made for the purpose, which is similar in principle to the approach described in your link. The only difference really is that my panels were laminated using wet fibreglass so became single homogenous units, rather than being three dry sheets of material held together with screws and glue. Mine are probably thinner as well - my panels are the same thickness as the original double-glazed window units, so directly replace them - but a thicker panel which matched the thickness of the steel tube of the window opening itself would have worked equally well, and would have a greater insulation value.

Here's one of my panels (with a 'bubble' in the middle to provide a few more inches of interior space in the bus):

There's a bit more info on my page in the projects section: http://www.busconversions.com/bbs/index.php?topic=21255.0

Jeremy

A shameless plug for my business - visit www.magazineexchange.co.uk for back issue magazines - thousands of titles covering cars, motorbikes, aircraft, railways, boats, modelling etc. You'll find lots of interest, although not much covering American buses sadly.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: