Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
December 18, 2014, 01:29:36 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: By clicking on any ad, a hotlink takes you directly to the advertiserís website.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New Favorite Bus Tool  (Read 1556 times)
Debo

Ignore
« on: April 27, 2013, 05:45:58 AM »

Hi guys, first post as a new member to this board. I've had my '81 MC9 for about 5 years and have been a member over at the other board but just joined here. The archives at both places have been invaluable. But enough of that...

Three words - Electric Impact Wrench

I'm just completing a complete suspension overhaul of my bus - new air bags, radius rod bushings, shocks, etc. and this thing has been amazing. It's a Hitachi WR22SA. It's a 3/4" drive corded tool that develops about 500 ft/lbs of torque and draws about 7 amps. I say "about" because it will spin off lug nuts that I've torqued to 500, so I know it must be conservatively rated. Not cheap - around $360, but I wanted something I could use to remove wheel lugs on the side of the road (and other jobs) without worrying about air capacity or proximity to a compressor. Yes I know, now I need to worry about proximity to a power outlet, but those are a lot more common and I have a generator. I've bought a bunch of adapters so I can go to just about any size drive socket and get the job done. Make no mistake, this is a serious tool. Used on too small a fastener, it'll twist that sucker off like it ain't even there.

I wanted to post this because when I was considering impact guns, I immediately started thinking "air tool" without considering that there have been a lot of new technological developments. For me, this is a perfect solution. When re-installing my wheels, I start the nuts by hand, then spin 'em till the gun slows down, then torque them with a torque wrench. Takes about 5 minutes a wheel. It's also been a lifesaver with this radius rod bushing project.

For the record, I have no association with Hitachi or any interest in trying to sell anybody anything. Turns out they just make my new favorite bus tool.

Tailwinds...

1981 MCI MC9
Detroit 8V-71N
Spicer 4-Speed Manual
Outer Banks, NC (Nags Head)
Nineforever
Nineforever

100 klms south of Yellowknife NWT Canada

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2013, 07:37:23 AM »

Makati makes a electric impact 1100 psi great for wheel nuts etc owned it about 5 years , just sent it out for repairs its been trouble free up till know.

Hyway 3 100 klms south of Yellowknife NWT Canada
Lin

1965 MC-5a

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2013, 11:08:06 AM »

I have had an electric impact wrench for about 25 years or so, it still works but is only good for 250-300 ft/lbs.  The one you have would be a nice upgrade.

You don't have to believe everything you think.
gus

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2013, 01:19:29 PM »

I have a 1/2" drive air wrench that peaks at 600 lb-ft so I can't over torque the wheel nuts. I make the tire guys use it instead of their monsters since one stripped most of my studs on one wheel.

For nut removal I have a manual torque multiplier, works every time.

PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR
wg4t50

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2013, 01:54:26 PM »

Nice to have good tools, me, I use a 3/4" air @ 180 psi, you guessed, it gets er done now.
Dave M

MCI7 20+ Yrs
Foretravel w/ISM500
WG4T CW for over 50 wpm for ever.
Central Virginia
belfert

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2013, 04:55:45 PM »

I have a 1/2" drive air wrench that peaks at 600 lb-ft so I can't over torque the wheel nuts. I make the tire guys use it instead of their monsters since one stripped most of my studs on one wheel.

Why not make them use a manual torque wrench instead?  I saw one at the tire dealer last year when I got two new steer tires.  I have my own 600 pound manual torque wrench I got for a steal from an online pawn shop last year.

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
Jnbroadbent

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2013, 05:11:47 PM »

I've got a dewalt 1/2" impact, headache saver for sure. Only has 300 ft lbs or so. I need to upgrade before I get into the airbags.

Jon
1980 Mc9 w/ veg oil
8v71
Jacksonville Fl
gus

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2013, 07:50:01 PM »

Most of the tire guys around here don't even own a torque wrench!

My air wrench is not capable of over-torquing the nuts and I check them when I get home. Unfortunately my torque wrench won't read CCW so I stand on a 2' wrench pipe for those!

PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR
Debo

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2013, 08:37:41 AM »

Funny you should say that. I discovered that my torque wrench doesn't read CCW either, so I have the same thing.

1981 MCI MC9
Detroit 8V-71N
Spicer 4-Speed Manual
Outer Banks, NC (Nags Head)
Lin

1965 MC-5a

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2013, 08:52:35 AM »

What is CCW?

belfert

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2013, 09:06:24 AM »

What is CCW?

Counterclockwise.  Some buses have left hand threaded studs on one side.  I have a Tireman torque wrench that you can change which side of the wrench the socket is on to handle left hand and right hand threads.

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
Lin

1965 MC-5a

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2013, 01:35:34 PM »

Oh.  The left side of mine has that.  I always have called it left handed threads.  Although my torque wrench can be reversed with a little dis-assembly, it doesn't go high enough anyway.  My weight three feet out on the bar seems close enough.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: