Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
September 20, 2014, 09:06:03 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: 500 Members as of May 5th, 2006.  Smiley  3,499 Members as of October 21, 2012 Cheesy

Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Is there an official veg oil thread?  (Read 1756 times)
Jnbroadbent

Ignore
« on: April 28, 2013, 08:43:33 PM »

I've found a few posts around here but haven't seen anything else.

What are your guys setups? Mine was installed by PO but it's pretty simple.

Veg oil tank (100 gal), FPHE, 3 stage filtering. I can go into more detail as I redo the system in the next few weeks.

Jon
1980 Mc9 w/ veg oil
8v71
Jacksonville Fl
RJ
Former Giant Greenbrier Owner

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2013, 10:33:13 PM »

Jon -

I think the reason you don't see much here, or over on BNO, is because most of us still just pull up to the pump and fill 'er up.

As you're probably aware, there's lots of veggie-oil sites out there, altho it seems most are dedicated to VW-based systems.

There was a fellow at the recent Blytheville event that had a WVO set-up in his 4106.  I've got his name somewhere, he's from Auburn, CA, just up I-80 a bit from my sister in Roseville.  Very slick set-up, and he gave a seminar on his unit on Saturday morning (which I unfortunately missed).  If you'd like, I'll see if I can find his contact info.

FWIW & HTH. . .

Wink

RJ Long
PD4106-2784 No More
Fresno CA
Scott Crosby

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2013, 04:06:26 AM »

PeterZittere was at Blytheville.  He has a three tank set up which allows in bus filtration for direct pick up from a resturant, another tank for clean usable veggie, and the original stock diesel tank for diesel only.   He gave us info on sources for good parts, and info.  Is there something specific you have questions about? 

61 GM Fishbowl TDH 4516 102" 35'
1947 GM PD 3751
www.busgreasemonkey.com
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2013, 10:32:18 AM »

Not as popular now the WVO setup the restaurants now sell the stuff very seldom do you find a restaurant giving it away we get paid 165.00 a month for ours now and they furnish a lock container 5 years ago we paid to have it dispose of  

I prefer the pump and go that stuff stinks of fried food and some places like Phoenix require a license to pick it up also I  am sure Phoenix and Vegas are not the only places that have restrictions on WVO now the Bio diesel fuel refiners are making sure of that  

When the US Government advertizes for bids to buy WVO you can bank on something is going to happen with that market  Huh in the future and then all the work you guys have done over the years will be in vain IMO 

There are a few here that do it  

Wayne in Texas was big into it haven't heard much from him lately don't know if he gave up or not on WVO

good luck
« Last Edit: April 29, 2013, 01:12:30 PM by luvrbus » Logged

Life is short drink the good wine first
Scott Bennett
Scott & Heather MCI-9

Scott & Heather

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2013, 12:43:00 PM »

I have used WVO....but my favorite was black diesel...WMO (Waste Motor Oil). Study up on it alot before doing it...filtration and water removal are absolutely essential. By far, the best way to accomplish both is through the use of a centrifuge and heating the oil enough for the water to steam off. I have processed a couple hundred gallons and burned them successfully in our coach. Problem is, it's messy, and the smoke our coach bellowed out was so thick and black, I caused a hazard on the highway. But, it was free  Grin  I am selling my entire kit: 100 gallon poly tank with PA Biodiesel centrifuge, and pump/motor as well as temp gauge and water heater pipe and element this summer. Not because it doesn't work (it does) but because unless you're very poor, it's just not worth getting so filthy and blocking the highway with your smoke. But it does work...amazingly well too. Heather and I are financially much more comfortable than we were two years ago when I was doing this...so it's time to move on to other stuff for me. Here's some shots of my setup:

« Last Edit: April 29, 2013, 12:49:46 PM by Scott Bennett » Logged

Scott & Heather
1984 MCI9 6V92-turbo with 9 inch roof raise & conversion in progress.
http://www.scottmichaelbennett.com/p/our-bus.html
˙ǝɯoɔlǝʍ suoıʇɐuop ˙snq ʍǝu ɐ pǝǝu ʎlqɐqoɹd ll,ǝʍ 'sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı
Hobie

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2013, 01:21:10 PM »

Fellow busnut had a lousy experience with this company dealing with veg oil. 

Might want to check out this thread:

http://www.busconversions.com/bbs/index.php?action=post;topic=25582.0;num_replies=4

« Last Edit: April 29, 2013, 01:23:29 PM by Hobie » Logged
wal1809

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2013, 11:45:15 AM »

I am still around Clifford!  Still running WVO although I have not had the bus out in a long time. 

To the OP.  I use a two tank system with a surge tank.  I hole 125 gallons in the main tank that is not heated.  25 gallons in the heated tank.  I have a toggle switch to pump from the main tank to the heated tank.  I installed an extra fuel gauge so I could see when the heated tank is getting low.  When it hits 1/2 a tank I fill it up again by hitting the toggle switch to turn on the pump.

I have a heat exchanger in the surge tank, a very large heat exchanger outside the tank, another on the primary wvo filter and a flat plate exchanger just before engine entry.  I believe it is essential to heat it to 180 degrees F prior to engine entry. 

I can tell you this.  Replace your fuel lines with stainless steel or viton rubber.  It is expensive but the oil WILL destroy the fuel lines a lot faster than you think.  Mine went out within 1000 miles.  When that happened I barely made it home.

I used to be a big believer in WVO, I actually still am.  There is a lot of time devotion if you are getting into it.  I was making 400 gallons of bio diesel a month and that just got old.  I then stopped making bio diesel and switched to WVO.  I run a 50WVO /50 diesel mix in my excursion with 1 gallon of gasoline on top of a 45 gallon mixture to make a better bang.  If you have time it is a great hobby.  I am just flat out of time.  I have a career, two side businesses and I lke hunting and fishing.  So no more biod just wvo for me.  I want to get back to some fishing.

1984 Silver Eagle Model 10 6V92 Allison auto tranny
www.snakebreaker.com
Jnbroadbent

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2013, 06:12:33 PM »

I am still around Clifford!  Still running WVO although I have not had the bus out in a long time. 

To the OP.  I use a two tank system with a surge tank.  I hole 125 gallons in the main tank that is not heated.  25 gallons in the heated tank.  I have a toggle switch to pump from the main tank to the heated tank.  I installed an extra fuel gauge so I could see when the heated tank is getting low.  When it hits 1/2 a tank I fill it up again by hitting the toggle switch to turn on the pump.

I have a heat exchanger in the surge tank, a very large heat exchanger outside the tank, another on the primary wvo filter and a flat plate exchanger just before engine entry.  I believe it is essential to heat it to 180 degrees F prior to engine entry. 

I can tell you this.  Replace your fuel lines with stainless steel or viton rubber.  It is expensive but the oil WILL destroy the fuel lines a lot faster than you think.  Mine went out within 1000 miles.  When that happened I barely made it home.

I used to be a big believer in WVO, I actually still am.  There is a lot of time devotion if you are getting into it.  I was making 400 gallons of bio diesel a month and that just got old.  I then stopped making bio diesel and switched to WVO.  I run a 50WVO /50 diesel mix in my excursion with 1 gallon of gasoline on top of a 45 gallon mixture to make a better bang.  If you have time it is a great hobby.  I am just flat out of time.  I have a career, two side businesses and I lke hunting and fishing.  So no more biod just wvo for me.  I want to get back to some fishing.

Awesome! I was getting worried no one around here used it! When I got my mc9 it has new viton lines all around.

We have an 12v electric pump on wheels with sock filter on that (to retrieve oil from containers up to 100ft away) then it goes to a 30 and 20 micron filter w/ pump and electric gauge to show how many gallons you've pumped before it goes into a 100 gal tank (I'll be getting another 150-200 gal tank in the future) It has a coolant heat exchanger then goes to a 5 micron with heater, a HPFE then a 2 and 1 micron. I plan on getting a large (and by large I mean one suitable for the 8v71 fuel consumption) Fuel/water separator. Much like a commercial semi truck.

Maybe even use a fuel water filter funnel before the oil even goes into the holding tank. They are kind of slow but you could pump 5 gal/min

I'll be redoing the whole system here in the next month. I'll be adding pressure gauges after each filter and temp/flo gauges. I'll document and share as I get to it.

We use the mc9 as a tour bus so cheap fuel = more savings

Jon
1980 Mc9 w/ veg oil
8v71
Jacksonville Fl
wal1809

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2013, 07:28:24 AM »

I can save you a whole lot of time and filter expense.  Get you a 300 gallon tote in a cage.  Fill it up and leave it alone for a couple months.  Mother earth is a huge centrifuge.  Water and particulate matter will drop out from gravity.  I don't even filter it as I fill the totes.  You will drive yourself insane cleaning sock filters.  Remove oil from the top and send it through your filtering system and on into the bus holding tank.  If you are worried about oil simply draw a small sample off of the top in a beaker.  Place a piece of glass over the open top of the beaker and heat the beaker on a coffee cup warmer.  Inspect the glass covering the beaker.  If you see water condensing, then you have water in your oil.  If not then you can continue and not use an expensive water block filter.

I had no luck with 12v pumps for collection.  It simply took too long.  Look up super sucker on google images.  I bought an abandoned boat trailer after the flooing from one of the hurricanes.  I put a 150 gallon propane tank on it and chain boomed it to the trailer.  I bought a vacuum pump for $80 and hooked it to the tank and pull 29 inch vacuum on the tank.  My hose attached to the bottom side of the tank allows me to put the hose in the collection barrel, open a valve and collect 55 gallons of oil in 50 seconds.  Clean as a whistle too.  When I get home I charge the tank with pressure and force the oil out into a tote in about 2 minutes. (Note to whoever, don't ever open the valve all the way when offloading oil.  You can imagine what happens when the pressure pushes to hose off of the nipple at the valve.  Not fun, AT ALL!!!)

www.snakebreaker.com
wal1809

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2013, 07:33:37 AM »

This was the early stages of constructing the bio diesel making operation.  I have added to it and changed some things several times.  It is capable of making 400 gallons a day if you are prepared and stay after it.  I spent a lot of time on that project.  I love doing it.  I am going to keep it and will probably fire it up again when I retire.  I just don't have the time right now.

www.snakebreaker.com
Jnbroadbent

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2013, 07:51:14 AM »

That's great! Other then the blurriness it's one of the nicer BD setups I've seen. We've got a 300 gal fiberglass container (once used to holder water for a watering drunk/lawn service) THe 12v pump looks like it was taken from a commercial application as the motor is 25+lbs. I wanted to build/buy a centrifuge but I imagine the water/fuel separator + filters could theoretically get me in the same ball park.

The only problem we encounter is we need a portable system when we are on the road, not a home base as most WVO/BD users have. So that's why we have to use filters out the wazoo. Still much cheaper then diesel by any means. And we can't sit in the same spot for long to process WVO. Always on the go. 

My system still requires to start and stop on diesel, as well as any long idling in traffic. Maybe one day I'll have a biodiesel tank for this as well as the WVO and diesel.

Jon
1980 Mc9 w/ veg oil
8v71
Jacksonville Fl
Jerry32

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2013, 09:20:03 AM »

I have been using WVO several years now and it works great except for finding any when I'm away from home. I usually start with about 200 gallons and end up using diesel before I get back home. My main source just changed hands and the oil has not been as plentiful as before but it all helps. Jerry

1988 MCI 102A3 8V92TA 740
sledhead

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2013, 02:43:07 PM »

Just saw this on the news today ! Has anyone tried it !   http://flaxenergy.ca/products/biodiesel/                              dave

1990 mci 102c  6v92 ta ht740  kit,living room slide . home base huntsville ontario canada
Jnbroadbent

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2013, 05:26:47 PM »

I have been using WVO several years now and it works great except for finding any when I'm away from home. I usually start with about 200 gallons and end up using diesel before I get back home. My main source just changed hands and the oil has not been as plentiful as before but it all helps. Jerry

We pre plan where WVO will be picked up. Or if we buy clean VO from someone along the way!

Jon
1980 Mc9 w/ veg oil
8v71
Jacksonville Fl
wal1809

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2013, 08:27:12 AM »

I did not realize you were processing on the road.  You are definately going to need a centrifuge.

www.snakebreaker.com
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: