Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
April 20, 2014, 01:51:23 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: New ownership began September 1st 2012!  Please send any comments to info@busconversions.com
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Solar charging advise  (Read 611 times)
Seayfam

Ignore
« on: May 01, 2013, 05:10:14 PM »

To all my fellow solar techies.
I just wired in three 75w solar panels and my morning star controller. This setup is for charging a 12v system. My battery bank is a 24v system with a 12v wire tap going to a equalizer. I have the controller/charger going to the 12v side of the equalizer. Everything seems to be working fine. My question is.... will this set up charge all four 8D batteries evenly? If not... should I add another panel and set it up for 24v?
Thanks
Gary

Sent from my GT-I9300

Gary Seay (location Alaska)
1969 MCI MC-6 unit# 20006
8V92 turbo 740 auto
more pics and information here     "  www.my69mci-6.blogspot.com  "
Ralph7

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2013, 08:01:56 PM »

1 depends on how your batterys are connected
      2  are the pannnels 19.5V or 29.5V?Huh?
      3  is the controller capeable of multi voltages  input n output
     4 I konw nothing about running back through a equalizer!!!!
     5 personally series 2 @ 19.5V pannels on the input of the controller and set the output to 24V
       6 carefully check the V. of all the batts

# 3 is very important
      Wire size is a big deal, also and fuses on each side of controller
      this is just a start
Seayfam

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2013, 11:06:54 PM »

1 depends on how your batterys are connected
      2  are the pannnels 19.5V or 29.5V?Huh?
      3  is the controller capeable of multi voltages  input n output
     4 I konw nothing about running back through a equalizer!!!!
     5 personally series 2 @ 19.5V pannels on the input of the controller and set the output to 24V
       6 carefully check the V. of all the batts

# 3 is very important
      Wire size is a big deal, also and fuses on each side of controller
      this is just a start

I have two battery banks, each have two 8D's wired in series to make 24V. The 24V then goes to the 24V side of my Ventron 100A battery equalizer. Then each battery bank has a 12V tap from between them and that goes to the 12V side of the equalizer.

My three panels are wired parallel and are 21V.

My controller is a ProStar 30M that will switch to 12V or 24V automatically depending on the battery input.

Because my solar panels are putting out 21V, I connected the 12V side of my equalizer to it. Its showing a good charge and everything seems ok. My main concern is if the equalizer will keep all my batteries in check with this setup. Or will I just be charging one battery on each bank? If this isn't the proper way to do this, I can just hook up two of my solar panels in series and power up my ProStar with 24V from the 24V side of my equalizer. But I am hoping to use all three of my panels because they are already up there and paid for.
Thanks again

Sent from my GT-I9300

8V92 turbo 740 auto
Mex-Busnut

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2013, 05:12:27 AM »

You might want to do some reading on this website. This guy has a lot of info and solar powered RVing.

http://handybobsolar.wordpress.com/about/

Dr. Steve, San Juan del Río, Querétaro, Mexico, North America, Planet Earth, Milky Way.
1981 Dina Olímpico (Flxible Flxliner clone), 6V92TA Detroit Diesel
Rockwell model RM135A 9-speed manual tranny.
Jake brakes
100 miles North West of Mexico City, Mexico. 6,800 feet altitude.
bevans6

1980 MCI MC-5C

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2013, 05:45:00 AM »

The main question is will your equalizer convert 12 volts to 24 volts - some do, some don't.  An equalizer, by design, either splits the voltage perfectly, or doubles it perfectly (within a few tenths, anyway), so if your 24 volt is reading twice what the 12 volt is when the charging is taking place, then it's working right and the 8D's are being charged.  In other words, if the output of your controller is 14 volts, the output of the equalizer should be 28 volts, and therefore the 8D's are getting a charge.

I have one equalizer that I use for exactly this purpose.  It's sold as a combination equalizer, 12 to 24 volt converter and 24 volt to 12 volt converter.

Brian

1980 MCI MC-5C, 8V-71T from a M-110 self propelled howitzer
Spicer 8844 4 speed Zen meditation device
Vintage race cars -
1978 Lola T440 Formula Ford
1972 NTM MK-4 B/SR
Seayfam

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2013, 03:18:44 PM »

Thanks for that website Mex-Busnut! Some good reading there.

Brian, Thanks for the info! I went and did some testing including all the batteries. After a good day in the sun, I tested all the batteries separately and got really close to even readings. So I think my equalizer is keeping things even. I really wasn't sure about my equalizer and couldn't find any information on the Ventron, it almost looks identical to a Vanner.

Sent from my GT-I9300

8V92 turbo 740 auto
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: