Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
August 28, 2014, 06:14:50 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: It will not get torn up or crushed if you back over it with your bus.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Writeups for Electronic engine installs with mechanical engines?  (Read 433 times)
coachconverter

Ignore
« on: May 02, 2013, 07:53:15 AM »

Hey guys,

I've decided to put a HT4060 I have in the shop, in front of a 6V92 mechanical engine on my 96A3.  Any links would be welcome that show what I need to get and have done.

I'm an interior and body guy, but I have a mechanic helping me, but he's not a big rig mechanic.  So any information could help.

Immediate questions are:

Bellhousing the same from a 5spd fit to a 4060?
TPS recommendations
Programming of Atec, are there profiles available or will my tranny shop have this?
Rearend combination, what's ideal?

Thanks in advance
Todd

forgot to mention, I squeak when I walk, so always looking to do things as cheap as possible (hence the 96A3 of mine sitting in the shop next to half-million dollar customer coaches :-) )
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2013, 08:08:54 AM »

To make the HT4060 work with a mechanical engine, the main thing you need is a throttle position sensor (and changing the oil pan to the low profile bus type). Putting an electronic transmission with the mechanical engine is done often. You also need the shift pad and obviously extend the wiring to the rear of the bus. If you now have a manual, then you need to also add a rather large trans cooler.
As to gearing-figuring that you are using 12R-22.5 rubber that is 485rpm, to obtain an ideal 75mph cruise at 1800rpm, you need a 4.63 rear end.

If you do have a manual transmission, instead of going through all the problems of changing to an electronic transmission, why don't you just drop in an Allison HT740 mechanical transmission? You'll have the same top speed since the HT740 is a direct drive top gear and the HT740 is probably the most dirt reliable transmission ever made (it is what Diesel hot rodders use). Plus it was the automatic transmission option on your bus in the first place.

When I changed my 13spd out for the HT740, I wanted to put in a HD4060 also. It would have cost almost exactly double the cost of the HT740. I did some figuring, and even with the two overdrives that the HD4060 has, I would only see 1, maybe 2 more mpg-and at the type of mileages we do, would never see a pay out. My truck has 3.55 rear gears with 11R-24.5 (476rpm) tires. So my 65mpg cruise is at 1800rpm-which is just perfect for the Caterpillar 3406B mechanical engine. I usually cruise a bit slower, so at 58mph I would be at 1633rpm which is in the economy range on this engine. Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
coachconverter

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2013, 08:35:40 AM »

I hear you Tom,  maybe I'm being lazy but I already have a HT4060 sitting in the shop with harness, computer and shift pad.

Maybe if someone wanted to trade me a fresh rebuild 740 with shiny paint, I'd swap them the 4060 cause I know I'll never utilize all the gears and its much more expensive to repair. 

Again, mostly from being lazy, it's sitting here wanting a home.

Todd
HB of CJ

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2013, 03:27:58 PM »

Is your later electronical tranny more $valuable$ than a 740 or smaller mechanical automatic?  It might actually be cheaper to trade off your HT4060 for an older Allison that will work behind your mighty 6V92?  All $things$ considered?

OEM installation.  No ring and pinion gear changes.  No electronical stuff.  Will certain mechanical 640 series Allisons also work?  KISS?  Just wondering.  HB of CJ (old coot)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: