Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 30, 2014, 11:59:09 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: 500 Members as of May 5th, 2006.  Smiley  3,499 Members as of October 21, 2012 Cheesy

Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How much oil in an 8V71? (and other questions)  (Read 6630 times)
HB of CJ

Ignore
« Reply #60 on: April 23, 2013, 07:52:04 PM »

It might be awhile before you change oil again and doing an oil analysis with the existing used oil in the pan MIGHT give you a good idea what kind of condition the engine may be in.  Be sure to warm up the oil first with a nice long drive, then following directions for a "clean catch" sampling of the used oil. 

You will only loose about one or two quarts doing this.  Might be money well spent.  Don't change the oil....it might still be $very good$.  You just want to sample it.  Good luck and welcome aboard.  Full speed ahead and all that stuff.  HB of CJ (old coot) now bus less but still a Bus Conversion person. Smiley Smiley
Ed Hackenbruch

Ignore
« Reply #61 on: April 24, 2013, 04:57:34 AM »

If you replace your pan plug with a Fumoto valve you can get a sample or do an oil change without spilling a drop!

1968 MCI 5A with 8V71 and Allison MT644 transmission.  Western USA
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #62 on: April 24, 2013, 05:49:05 AM »

Buy the Cat sampling system and you don't even need a Fumoto and you can do it wearing tux Ed lol

Life is short drink the good wine first
Lin

1965 MC-5a

Ignore
« Reply #63 on: April 24, 2013, 08:30:05 AM »

Clifford, the Fumato valve is cheaper the a tux!

You don't have to believe everything you think.
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #64 on: April 24, 2013, 09:10:10 AM »

Yea but you crawl under the bus Lin fwiw Cat calls it a "Live Sample" figure that out does that mean the oil is dead or what
« Last Edit: April 24, 2013, 09:16:56 AM by luvrbus » Logged

Life is short drink the good wine first
Barney Five
Expert

This world is not my home--just a-passing thru.

Ignore
« Reply #65 on: May 06, 2013, 01:43:36 PM »

I got the analysis. The guy came to my house and with the bus warmed up and running, he stuck a tube down the dipstick hole and sucked up about a half-cup of oil. Filled out a form and I sent it off to the lab. Just got it back yesterday, and with the exception of saying the oil was a little thin, everything checked out ok. No filings, no glycol, only a trace of water. The only oddity was they said it had 15W40 in it. How they could tell at that stage I don't know. Anyhow, the guy that pulled it called me this morning and said he'd go ahead and run it a couple more trips, then change it (to straight 40) and get another analysis 5000 miles after that, which would give a better idea how the system was doing.

I am intrigued by your mention of the Cat system and the Fumoto valve. I tend to agree with luvrbus that crawling under the bus might better be avoided, but being able to change oil without oil all over the yard, the bus and ME might also be desireable. Can you change the oil with the Cat system or is that just for small samples? I suspect the "Live Sample" they mentioned might mean taking it with the bus running like this guy did. It keeps the particles of whatever is in there suspended so you get a true sampling.

Clifford, I checked out the dipstick you sent, and both the tube and the stick seem to be exactly like what came with it, EXCEPT that someone has cut about two inches off the end of the old one and moved the marks up just over an inch. That made it about a gallon overfull when I picked it up in San Antonio. And most of that gallon was on the back of the bus and the front of the car I towed back. So now I'm wondering why? I've read that some people like to run overfull for the cooling power, but it seems like a waste unless there is some other good reason.

I just spent a couple of days repairing some water pipes that burst over winter when my basement heater failed. Also checked out the propane system and discovered this thing was very much a work in progress that stalled out at some point. There were three loose ends in the propane line that I had to close off before I could use the cook stove! And three lights in the basement had wires just hanging, not connected. I have discovered that the best way to find out how a system works is to start repairs on it! One of the propane lines ended up under the bathroom lavatory, spewing gas out in the open air. Does anyone make a ventless propane heater that would fit in an enclosed space about 18 inches on a side?

Haven't completely read all the replies, but if it wasn't covered yet, 5.5 gallons is spec for a stock  4106.
Total, filter can and all.

Well, actually it has been covered, at length, but the prevailing *opinion* was 7 gallons, which makes me wonder where you found the specs in question. I would prefer 5.5 to 7 if it's true. That's a lot cheaper, but I'd be very interested in something on hard copy or at least somewhere in a specification table. Nice to know there is a possibility of less, so I can watch it on the stick before I get too much in there.

Same vehicle, different component: I mentioned the transmission went low and wouldn't pull our driveway. Well, I filled it and now the Transmission light on the dash stays on, flickering a little. This is after warming up good. Any clues? Could running low have ruined the sender?

Bern LaLone
Gerrardstown, WV
1964 GM 4106 - 8v71 - Allison V-730-D
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: