Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
July 30, 2014, 06:36:12 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: It will not turn yellow, get musty, dusty, and mildewed or fade.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Help Trans will NOT go into reverse  (Read 1241 times)
4104bigred

Ignore
« on: November 25, 2006, 07:52:30 AM »

hey guys my 4104 with a 4 speed spicer all of a sudden will not go into reverse. the solenoid is working properly and I have disconected the shift rods and I still can not get the 1-2 shift fork rod to slide toward the rear of the bus to get the thing into reverse.

any suggestions

thanks

chris
231 846 0880
Dallas

« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2006, 04:07:13 PM »

Chris,

Have you chercked to see if you are stuck between gears, or if the transmission is actually already in second gear?

I believe on the 7141a that you have to have the shifter in neutral before the reverse solenoid will engage.

My 4103, (same transmission) will sometimes get stuck when I've tried shifting too quickly. It happens because the bushings are shot and I'm to lazy to replace them right now.

Good luck1

Dallas
gus

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2006, 07:31:27 PM »

Chris,

I'll state the obvious just in case, but Reverse has to be done just exactly like this;

1.  Place trans in First.
2.  Push Reverse switch (on bottom left side of front left          panel) to the right.
3.  Hold this switch to the right.
4.  Move the shift lever to the Second gear position
5.  Release the switch.
6.  This should be Reverse

Mine sometimes sticks too or just doesn't go into Reverse but I just start over and it always works

PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR
keithshotrodshop

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2006, 08:46:12 PM »

I had to hit mine with a hammer once to get it to work! I just had to tell it who the boss was Grin
Dreamscape

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2006, 10:04:23 PM »

I was told to put it in neutral, push switch then pull back to second to engage reverse. Otherwise you could burn up the solenoid.

Which way is correct?

Paul

Dreamscape

Len Silva

Angle Parked in a Parallel Universe

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2006, 05:36:47 AM »

I was told to put it in neutral, push switch then pull back to second to engage reverse. Otherwise you could burn up the solenoid.

Which way is correct?

Paul

Dreamscape

From the 4104 manual

Hand Made Gifts

Ignorance is only bliss to the ignorant.
Dreamscape

« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2006, 06:33:46 AM »

Len,

Thanks for the correct procedure.

Paul

Dreamscape
brojcol
Jimmy

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2006, 06:45:18 AM »

I had this happen to me once at a car wash.

I nearly panicked.  I had about three inches from the vacuum cleaners and it just wouldn't go into reverse.  So, I finally shut it down and started it up again.  Worked like a charm.  You might want to check on the reverse solenoid.

Jimmy

"Ask yourself this question...Are you funky enough to be a globetrotter?  Well are you???  ARE YOU?!?!

deal with it."            Professor Bubblegum Tate
4104bigred

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2006, 07:21:20 AM »

OK Guys  thanks for the replies,  turns out that the reverse solenoid has contacts on the back side under a cover. the small plunger at the rear (not the large plunger that pulls the tranny into reverse) was rusty and stuck also the contact point was burned off.
I put a stainless pop rivet in for a new contact and cleaned the plunger,bore and used corrosion x on and whalla perfect reverse

thanks again
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: