Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
September 02, 2014, 10:04:48 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: You will not have to go out in the rain, sleet, hail, or snow to retrieve it.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Anyone use any CAD for interior design? (or in my case, google sketch up)  (Read 1895 times)
Jnbroadbent

Ignore
« on: May 06, 2013, 06:56:37 PM »

Been working on this for several weeks when I get some spare time. Pretty cool you can really visualize where things are going to be. I'll probably start finalizing dimensions and materials in the upcoming months and finish it in september. This might be overkill but it makes sense to me

If anyone else uses sketchup, I can provide the frame which is more or so an MC9.

Jon
1980 Mc9 w/ veg oil
8v71
Jacksonville Fl
Dave5Cs

1979 MCI MC5Cs 6V-71 HT-740 Allison, Roseville, CA

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2013, 07:05:12 PM »

Thats pretty neat. I have used it a few times to design some buildings to see what could be done.

Dave5Cs

NonHippieBus

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2013, 07:33:43 PM »

I've used www.floorplanner.com

If you don't have any Autocad skills its a nice visualization tool
OneLapper

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2013, 07:37:05 PM »

If anyone else uses sketchup, I can provide the frame which is more or so an MC9.

I'd be interested in that file.  I have used Sketchup, it's neat.

OneLapper
1964 PD4106-2853
www.markdavia.com
Seangie
www.herdofturtles.org

And We're Off... Like a Herd of Turtles

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2013, 08:07:52 PM »

I used sketchup to design layouts and different areas of my bus.  It really helps in planning and makes the execution go much smoother as you figure out a lot of the things before you get to them.  These are excellent drawings.  Much better than what I did.  It also gives wifey a better idea of what you are talking about Wink

-Sean

PS - a link to a previous post showing sketchup drawings that were quickly done (within a few hours) http://www.BusConversions.com/bbs/index.php?topic=24490.msg268395.msg#268395

Blog post with sketchup -http://www.herdofturtles.org/2012/02/21/step-2-the-bedroom/

www.herdofturtles.org
1984 Eagle Model 10S

'Cause you know we,
we live in a van (Eagle 10 Suburban)
Driving through the night
To that old promised land'
Jnbroadbent

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2013, 08:27:30 PM »

I used sketchup to design layouts and different areas of my bus.  It really helps in planning and makes the execution go much smoother as you figure out a lot of the things before you get to them.  These are excellent drawings.  Much better than what I did.  It also gives wifey a better idea of what you are talking about Wink

-Sean

PS - a link to a previous post showing sketchup drawings that were quickly done (within a few hours) http://www.BusConversions.com/bbs/index.php?topic=24490.msg268395.msg#268395

Blog post with sketchup -http://www.herdofturtles.org/2012/02/21/step-2-the-bedroom/

[url=http://www.herdofturtles.org]www.herdofturtles.org [/URL]
1984 Eagle Model 10S

I love the sketch look! I need to start adding color/textures to get a better idea.

Jon
1980 Mc9 w/ veg oil
8v71
Jacksonville Fl
NEO/Russ
NEO/Russ

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2013, 10:55:10 AM »

Pre-retirement I was head of one of the Brunswick Corp. boat groups.  One of our activities was for engineering staff to get together and see what other teams were doing.  We were a small group designing bass boats so while we used CAD it wasn't as integrated into our work as the teams at Sea Ray or Bayliner.  I remember going to their operations and seeing how they did interiors on yachts.  Yes, like you they used CAD, but then to be sure the proportions were correct and really fit the human needs they mocked up the entire interiors in cardboard.  That made things change that looked good in CAD, but when you made them things were dark, you bumped elbows, the flow wasn't what you expected, etc.  Do it your way, but I wanted to pass along what has been done before in groups that had dozens of CAD stations and could have laid out the entire boat and never done a mock-up, but learned the hard way that it didn't always work the way you expected.

I moved from my bus project to a HDT hauling a fifth wheel, but for the redesign of the truck cab I cut up a lot of boxes so that I made sure that things worked, and I changed things.

Russ

Well no longer a bus nut, but over the years I learned a lot here and still come back to see what I can apply to the conversion of my KW T2000 for hauling my Teton fifth wheeler.
joel_newton

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2013, 04:47:24 PM »

I've used Adobe Illustrator and a few other dedicated architectural CAD programs.  I like SketchUP.  You can do a lot of neat things easily and quickly.  However - sometimes - you go to do something you think should be really easy and it isn't!  Perhaps because I'm "old school" it seemed to have a bit of a learning curve.

I did the floor plan for my bus and overall the results were great.  Can't beat the price!!!

Near Santa Rosa, California
Paramount Studios converted Gillig
Jnbroadbent

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2013, 05:45:01 PM »

I'd be interested in that file.  I have used Sketchup, it's neat.

I've uploaded it to the models section

http://sketchup.google.com/3dwarehouse/details?mid=13f70ebc4e721407f532472d72e6e4cc

Jon
1980 Mc9 w/ veg oil
8v71
Jacksonville Fl
Jnbroadbent

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2013, 05:46:59 PM »

Pre-retirement I was head of one of the Brunswick Corp. boat groups.  One of our activities was for engineering staff to get together and see what other teams were doing.  We were a small group designing bass boats so while we used CAD it wasn't as integrated into our work as the teams at Sea Ray or Bayliner.  I remember going to their operations and seeing how they did interiors on yachts.  Yes, like you they used CAD, but then to be sure the proportions were correct and really fit the human needs they mocked up the entire interiors in cardboard.  That made things change that looked good in CAD, but when you made them things were dark, you bumped elbows, the flow wasn't what you expected, etc.  Do it your way, but I wanted to pass along what has been done before in groups that had dozens of CAD stations and could have laid out the entire boat and never done a mock-up, but learned the hard way that it didn't always work the way you expected.

I moved from my bus project to a HDT hauling a fifth wheel, but for the redesign of the truck cab I cut up a lot of boxes so that I made sure that things worked, and I changed things.

Russ

Excellent point. Kind of one of those things where it looks great 'on paper' but not so great in real life. I will still be masking off and as you said, using cut up boxes to give a better idea of what it will look like. Invite some friends over to have a drink in the 'completed' bus.

Jon
1980 Mc9 w/ veg oil
8v71
Jacksonville Fl
OneLapper

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2013, 06:37:31 PM »

Thank you!

OneLapper
1964 PD4106-2853
www.markdavia.com
TomsToy
Tom Turner

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2013, 06:55:43 PM »

Jon, did you get my file?
TomsToy

1984 TMC MC-9 6V92T HT740
La Grange, Georgia
Jnbroadbent

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2013, 07:03:19 PM »

Jon, did you get my file?
TomsToy

I was just poking through it! Love the attention to detail, spare tire, basement plumbing.

It acts kinda crazy for some reason...

Jon
1980 Mc9 w/ veg oil
8v71
Jacksonville Fl
Jnbroadbent

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2013, 06:58:20 AM »

Little update

Incase anyone is wondering what's between the kitchen and sofa... it's a guitar stand. Must have when you spend months on the road.

Jon
1980 Mc9 w/ veg oil
8v71
Jacksonville Fl
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2013, 07:25:25 AM »

Always looks good on paper. But any can tell you, there is always something in the way, or something has to be modified that the interior plan will morf between initial drawing and what results at the end. I use the old fashion drafting table, drafting machine, pencil and eraser. Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: