Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 25, 2014, 02:20:39 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It will not get torn up or crushed if you back over it with your bus.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: clutch in 4106  (Read 3588 times)
jimsflx

Ignore
« on: May 08, 2013, 02:39:49 PM »

just put new clutch in 4106 and it will not go into gear when it is ideling but shut it off and put in gear and restart it shifts great when it is setting still and running it does not release. put it in gear and it will not come out of 1 st gear. or go into reverse. eny thoughts? thanks jim

jim&roenie seagraves sebring fl. 4106-3083
Utahclaimjumper

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2013, 03:44:31 PM »

Obviously its not releasing properly,, are you using a "mousetrap" or other "helper" devise?? >>>Dan  (Did you install a "spot clutch",,full face type or a wet clutch??)

Utahclaimjumper 
 EX 4106 (presently SOB)
Cedar City, Ut.
 72 VW Baja towed
jimsflx

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2013, 04:36:30 PM »

no mouse trap or other device. got the clutch from tampa cluctch they have done these before. a friend of mine put it in that might have been a mistake? he has done gm and eagles before. you are right it is not releasing.my friend swares he put it in right i did pay him for doing this. if you start it in gear and start moving it shifts fine. will not goe into gear when idling. thanks jim

Utahclaimjumper

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2013, 05:13:17 PM »

If you have the engine running and push the clutch to the floor,, at what point does it begin to "take up" or ingage??
 If its near the floor, than it can be adjusted up for more release,, if at the top of the stroke that you have another problem.>>>Dan

Utahclaimjumper 
 EX 4106 (presently SOB)
Cedar City, Ut.
 72 VW Baja towed
OneLapper

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2013, 05:33:36 PM »

The clutch finger heights are off.  BTDT.  I measured twice and STILL got it wrong!!  I finally converted the measurements into millimeters and, yup, it was off. 

I don't know if you can adjust the finger heights while the tranny is installed.  I'm sure anything is possible, but measuring would be the challenge.

Mark

OneLapper
1964 PD4106-2853
www.markdavia.com
jimsflx

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2013, 06:41:27 PM »

dan we ajusted the peddle so it would engage both ways,doesnt make any differants. mark we have done the ajustment,yes you can do the fingers from the bottom. luke says 1&38ths from the finger tips to flywheel. so we have tryed to get maesure but still will not release. thanks jim

Utahclaimjumper

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2013, 05:35:30 AM »

Are the parts you have installed now the previous parts?? or have you replaced with new parts??  Were the fibre plates relined, and with what??(Heavy duty organic or Kevlar??)  The center driven plate could be binding in the splines and the fibre plates can be installed only one way.>>>Dan  ( I just installed a new clutch in Red Riders 4106 two weeks ago and it works like butter) You may have a trans removal in your near future     YUCK OUCH !!
« Last Edit: May 09, 2013, 05:40:13 AM by Utahclaimjumper » Logged

Utahclaimjumper 
 EX 4106 (presently SOB)
Cedar City, Ut.
 72 VW Baja towed
OneLapper

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2013, 10:12:20 AM »

Did you measure the discs and center plate?  IIRC I measured everything after the machine shop resurfaced the flywheel & plate.   That affects the stacked height, which I had to determine if it was all within spec.   I took careful notes when I put all together, just don't recall what I did with those notes!!!  Must be in my bus receipts pile.   

OneLapper
1964 PD4106-2853
www.markdavia.com
Len Silva

Angle Parked in a Parallel Universe

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2013, 10:25:46 AM »

If the pressure plate was resurfaced, it will need to be shimmed.

Hand Made Gifts

Ignorance is only bliss to the ignorant.
Utahclaimjumper

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2013, 10:49:15 AM »

If the pressure plate or the flywheel had been resurfaced, his problem would be the opposite,, slipping for lack of pressure..
 The entire clutch must be assembled, then adjust (if necessary) the release fingers. This process assures the correct clutch pressure and release movement.>>>Dan  ( It appears the mechanic has not done this job in the past,, time to have a talk with him)
« Last Edit: May 09, 2013, 10:51:16 AM by Utahclaimjumper » Logged

Utahclaimjumper 
 EX 4106 (presently SOB)
Cedar City, Ut.
 72 VW Baja towed
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2013, 10:53:45 AM »

I really have a hard time with people fighting the 4106 clutch me I would toss the flywheel and use a different flywheel and change over to a mushroom type clutch they work good in a 40 ft bus one should be fine in a light weight 4106 would make life so much easier for you GM and no Luke or Ted don't agree lol

Life is short drink the good wine first
OneLapper

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2013, 11:10:02 AM »

I really have a hard time with people fighting the 4106 clutch me I would toss the flywheel and use a different flywheel and change over to a mushroom type clutch they work good in a 40 ft bus one should be fine in a light weight 4106 would make life so much easier for you GM and no Luke or Ted don't agree lol

I have to agree, the dual disk setup is less than elegant solution nowadays. The South Bend clutch on my Dodge dually is rated to 1100lbft and its as smooth as silk.  You would think someone has made an improved design in the last 50 years!

The thought of switching to a completely different setup never even occurred to me.   Next time! 

OneLapper
1964 PD4106-2853
www.markdavia.com
Utahclaimjumper

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2013, 12:47:30 PM »

The one & three eighths inch measurement is from the finger contact points to the OUTBOARD FACE OF THE PRESSURE PLATE HOUSING,,,,not the flywheel... and that measurement is made with the clutch fully assembled to the flywheel.>>>D

Utahclaimjumper 
 EX 4106 (presently SOB)
Cedar City, Ut.
 72 VW Baja towed
RJ
Former Giant Greenbrier Owner

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2013, 04:31:39 PM »

Fine, Clifford.

Now really help us out by providing part numbers and sources for all the components necessary to make the change-over.

Wink

RJ Long
PD4106-2784 No More
Fresno CA
jimsflx

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2013, 05:28:35 PM »

thanks guys. he is pulling the trans tomorrow,these where all knew parts. we replaced everything. i am with you rj i had no idea you could change to a newer type clutch, i would do that in a heartbeat.

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: