Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
August 22, 2014, 12:42:11 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: The dog will not eat it.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Need help with drivers AC  (Read 956 times)
paul102a3

Ignore
« on: May 09, 2013, 04:58:38 AM »

2000 Prevost XL II with a York style AC compressor for the drivers AC unit. Driving through TX and snapped the compressor drive belt.

The compressor crankshaft will freely rotate either direction about 3/4 of a revolution and then stops with a metallic thunk. I assume this mean the compressor is toast???

Anyone know some good repair shops in the San Antonio area that can diagnose and resolve the issue.

Been looking at some old posts and see that some have switched to a different compressor. Any real benefit to changing style of compressor other than cost?

Just starting out a long trip and don't want to be without drivers AC for too long.

Thanks in advance for any advice,

Paul

2001 Prevost XL II
muldoonman
1991 Prevost 8V92TA

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2013, 05:49:59 AM »

Might call Alamo City in San Antone. 800-510-8322. Never used them but I know they work on bus ac's.
paul102a3

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2013, 06:44:51 AM »

Appreciate the info. Called them but was told they don't service drivers AC systems any longer.

Paul

2001 Prevost XL II
Boomer

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2013, 08:23:03 AM »

Time to switch to a Sandin compressor.

'81 Eagle 15/45
'47 GM PD3751-438
'65 Crown Atomic
Vancouver, WA USA
Zeroclearance

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2013, 08:57:19 AM »

Paul,  I replaced mine two years ago.   Prevost was running a Summer A/C special.  It was really inexpensive.  I would call Prevost parts and ask them.    With that said, I replaced the filter dryer, and another components up front.   I should have made the switch to the Sanden units.   They are more efficient,  I just didn't have enough information to make the switch..    Most A/C shops will look at the York and make a similar suggestion.
muldoonman
1991 Prevost 8V92TA

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2013, 10:34:44 AM »

You might call Iron Horse Rv, 6414 Randolph Blvd, San Antonio. They had a MCI in there working on engine ac when I had my Aqua Hot worked on.
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2013, 03:20:56 PM »

Nothing wrong with the York compressor-they still make them and are installed on new builds. Sandens will take less power-course it depends on the model you get. I would install the largest compressor (in cu/in displacement) that you can. Then you'll have better cooling at low speeds. The throttling expansion valve will take care of over pumping. Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
paul102a3

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2013, 08:14:00 PM »

Thanks everyone for all the information.

A little more research on my part shows that this is the second unit to fail on this bus and I gather the primary cause is not checking the crankcase oil. I was always under the impression that AC compressors used the oil in the cooling charge to lubricate everything.

The service manual for the York/TCCI unit I have shows how to make a dipstick for virtical, horizontal and angle mounts for checking the oil level.

Unbeknownst to me, there has been a small oil leak from the crankshaft seal and I suspect we will find low oil caused a thrown rod.

Is there a retrofit kit to install the Sandin unit or do you just make up new custom mounts?

For the record, the York unit cooled extremely well and we were very happy with that aspect. I have only had to run the forward roof unit in conjunction with the dash air one time for better comfort

Thanks again.

Paul

2001 Prevost XL II
paul102a3

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2013, 05:41:36 AM »

Stopped in at the new Prevost service facility in Houston, TX yesterday. New compressor was installed, receiver/drier replaced, new expansion valve installed and flushed coils and lines.

While at the service center, they spotted a couple of small issues and fixed them at no charge.

Also, they had a brand new H3 Liberty conversion in the shop. While not allowed on board, I could see through the front windows and all I can say is WOW. The paint job on this thing supposedly cost $120,000 dollars. It was spectacular!

Short run 32 miles to campground and the A/C system performed better than ever.

I would have liked to switch to the Sandan compressor as suggested by many but that was not an option on the road. If I was home, I would have made the conversion.

We can now continue our planned trip through TX and LA before heading home to Florida.

Paul

2001 Prevost XL II
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: