Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 01, 2014, 09:38:39 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: You can zoom in to make the text larger and easier to read.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Could use wheel lug replacement tips  (Read 1219 times)
gus

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2013, 04:53:09 PM »

I got mine loose by soaking with pen oil and tapping a couple of times with a hammer on a large screwdriver (steel all the way through the handle).

PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR
MCIGenes

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2013, 06:45:00 PM »

A few years ago I posted the same question on the board. I got some very good advice and some not so good. The best advice I got is when Tom H sent me a link to a web site that sells stud removing equipment. I really liked their equipment but, I did not like the $2700 price tag. So I looked at the photos of their professional model and I sat down with my auto cad and designed an adapter for my 4 ton Porta Power. With $40 of steel and a little time in the shop I had a Stud press that worked good for removing and installing studs on the tag axle of my MC9.
    More recently I wanted to replace studs in my rear hub on the MC5B. I knew the 4 ton may not be heavy enough to push the studs out of the rear hubs so I used the same design and built it for a 10 ton Porta Power. It works great.
      With the brake drum off you just remove the back nut and then press out the stud, with the hub still installed on the axle.  You are not hammering your bearings and damaging your seals. It takes about 5 minutes a stud once you have the drums off.
      I did not notice where you are located before I started this responce, but I will be replacing all my stock front studs with longer studs for the Alcoa Wheels this next month. God willing and the creek don't rise.
I have lots of photos of the press construction and stud replacement if you are interested.   Gene

1975 MC5B   Dew Drop Inn
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: