Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
July 23, 2014, 09:29:22 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: You can zoom in to make the text larger and easier to read.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Reason #26 for parking @ Walmart  (Read 5432 times)
lostagain

MC5C

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2013, 05:06:10 PM »

Love staying at WM. Always entertaining. Prefer Super Centers open 24hrs for the security and lights. Always spend money on groceries, etc. Never a bad experience. Tough to see the homeless sleeping in their cars in the summer. One time in Idaho, in comes this old run down class C and park beside us. 3 teenagers and their dad, obviously living out of it, not on vacation. The kids got out to throw a basket ball to each other. They wore dirty old clothe... Dad went in the store to get groceries. My heart still aches thinking about those kids, compared to ours, about the same age at the time... Cry Another time in Spokane, WA, these 2 rigs from Alberta were at the WM camping, awnings out, lawn chairs, BBQs, and a bit loud. I was ashamed to be Canadian that night...

JC

JC
Invermere, BC
1977 MC5C, 6V92/HT740
robertglines1
steam nut

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2013, 07:59:20 PM »

I was wrong about voicing my opinion about Walmart building labor policy.  My appologies to this forum for that: this was not the place!!! Everything else is 100% accurate . It seems like the more upscalled area stores are being targets of gangs from out of area crooks in our area. Lots of news coverage of them caught on camera doing the act.  Warnings of checking your register reciepts to make sure it doesn't have a cash back added.  A few years ago things were not this bad in our area and I would have felt safe. Just would say if it feels bad or looks bad beware.  The shooting was at a supper center two blocks from a sams club.  I wish it was the way the original founder wanted it to be.  Our world is changing ,I sure miss the old one.   Bob

Bob@Judy  98 XLE prevost with 3 slides --Home done---last one! SW INdiana
belfert

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2013, 10:43:34 AM »

I've not heard the stories on Walmart cashiers ripping off customers.  I almost always use the self checkout which would make that harder.  The two Walmarts I usually frequent are newly remodeled and in very nice condition.  On the other hand, I have been to two other Walmarts in lower income areas and they look run down even though one store is nine months old and the other was just totally remodeled.  The front entrances have gum and other crap all over the sidewalks and the inside of the store isn't much better.  Walmart could do a better job of cleaning.

I've never been bothered by anyone when parking overnight at Walmart.  At one Walmart I pulled in well after dark to stay the night.  I missed the no overnight parking signs until morning, but no bothered me as it was late December in Wisconsin and it was around 10 degrees outside.  I'm been shopping at various Walmart stores at 3 or 4 am in the morning and never felt unsafe, but it also helps that I travel with a large group of males.

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
Emcemv

1973 MCI MC-7 Combo

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2013, 11:05:56 AM »

This has been an interesting discussion, Being a newbie at all this, I have based my positive opinions on the 4 or 5 Walmarts we stayed at during the Blytheville trip and I can see now that was a bit Naive!!  Seems like the general consensus is that its a good place to spend the night but I can see now that we need to be careful.  There is a nice App for the iPad that shows Walmart locations and indicates if they allow overnight parking.  There is also a way to put review comments in.

So far, I have felt that the bus is a pretty safe place at night, the door is deadbolted and all the windows are up high and not very accessible from the outside..

These discussions are what makes this forum such a great resource!

Bruce & Nancy Fagley
1973 MCI MC-7 Combo Freighter
450HP DD 8V-92T 2000 Reman
HT 740 Allison
Woodbury CT.
Mike in GA

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2013, 07:05:05 AM »

We have stayed overnight at Walmarts in about 22 States and perhaps 50 times. During those times we have never had a security problem. The problems usually are too much lamp light and too much highway or truck noise.
For us the approach to Walmart parking involves a phone call to the store from a Walmart directory or Rand McNally before we have left the interstate, asking if overnight parking (not camping) is permitted. This saves the wasted effort of arriving at the store and finding the lot is posted. If there is no answer on the phone call and often that is the case we will take our chances but always go into the store and ask permission. This is usually done while pushing a grocery cart with the items we always seem to need. (Paper towels, french fries, roasted chicken, et cetera.
By saying all of the above I do not mean to imply that all Walmarts are safe. We always lock our bays and tow car, and certainly double lock our door. Sooner or later I suppose we will have a problem. I worry more about vandalism than any physical threat. But in this country in these times you just have to be expect the worst. Until then I'm happy too spend the occasional night in Walmart and pocket the 30 to 40 dollars in Saved camping fees. Just my 2 cents worth Mike in Georgia

Past President, Southeast Bus Nuts. Busin' for more than 12 years in a 1985 MC 96a3 with DD 8v92 and a 5 speed Allison c/r.
saddleup

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2013, 08:40:07 AM »

We dont stay in wallmarts to often, but have stayed at the one in Casper WY a few times and have been suprised be how many cars will be parked around us in the am, big empty parking lot and i have had as many as 10 cars parked around us with people sleeping in them, just think its kind of strange.

Box Elder,S.D.  Battle Mountain,NV

1974 Eagle 05 On the road, to Somewhere
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2013, 08:58:56 AM »

We always stay WM the wife will not spend the bucks for a camp ground,on this trip to TX we spent the night in Deming NM at the W/M security patrolled the area all night never know what one sees at WM in the way of RV there was a guy there with his wife and 2 grand kids in a new Newell

I was talking to him about looking out of place in the rig parked at W/M for the night he laughed and said how do think I afford this rig it's sure not by spending 50 to 100 bucks a night at a KOA as he said he was not a tight wad just conservative very nice guy had no problems letting people look at his pride and joy

Live each day like it was your last,one day it will be
John316

MCI 1995 DL3, DD S60, Allison B500.

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2013, 09:49:49 AM »

Bob, you bring up a good point. There are some WM we wouldn't stay at. I can remember two that we pulled into, then decided to move on.

However, we stay at a BUNCH of WM in cool weather. If we need to run the AC we will usually find a CG, if there is one that is close and easy. We have never had a time where anybody bothered us. Sure see some interesting and strange things there for sure. Of course, we always try to park under a light. There are some WM's that I won't go into shop until morning, because of the area. Even though I don't look like easy pickings, I still like to exercise common sense.

YMMV

John

MCI 1995 DL3. DD S60 with a Allison B500.
robertglines1
steam nut

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2013, 11:37:29 AM »

This is one thread I should have stayed out of.  Enjoy the ride! Safe and happy Bussin to all.

Bob@Judy  98 XLE prevost with 3 slides --Home done---last one! SW INdiana
Oonrahnjay

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: May 20, 2013, 11:45:40 AM »

This is one thread I should have stayed out of.  Enjoy the ride! Safe and happy Bussin to all. 

I appreciate your perspective and the fact that you shared your experiences, Bob.  I also have had no problems with WM (limited amount of times stayed) but it's good to know that other people have seen a range of different things.  I'll be keeping my eyes open a bit more in the future, and that's valuable.  Thanks.

BH  NC   USA

Bruce H; Wallace (near Wilmington) NC
1976 Daimler (British) Double-Decker Bus; 34' long
6-cyl, 4-stroke, Leyland O-680 engine

(New Email -- brucebearnc@ (theGoogle gmail place) .com)
Purplewillie

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: May 20, 2013, 01:14:10 PM »

I enjoy everyone's opinion on this so I am glad you didn't
Mark

Mark & Char
1976 P8M4905a 8v71 v730
British Columbia Canada
John316

MCI 1995 DL3, DD S60, Allison B500.

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: May 20, 2013, 01:23:06 PM »

Naw, Bob. That ain't it at all. Don't worry about it. The reality is, we might not stay in as many WM if we weren't on a schedule. Don't let this stop you from voicing your opinion. You are one of the posters that I really enjoy, so don't quit now.....

John

MCI 1995 DL3. DD S60 with a Allison B500.
Emcemv

1973 MCI MC-7 Combo

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: May 20, 2013, 01:53:53 PM »

Bob

Your comments were fine and productive in my mind, I think your comments produced more discussion on the topic and that's always a good thing.  It's perfectly OK to have a difference of opinion. Your thoughts helped me see that WM may not always be the best place to stay.

Bruce

Bruce & Nancy Fagley
1973 MCI MC-7 Combo Freighter
450HP DD 8V-92T 2000 Reman
HT 740 Allison
Woodbury CT.
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: May 20, 2013, 02:25:43 PM »

Years ago I heard a discussion with some W/M big wigs David Glass, was one he wanted all overnight parking in W/M stopped because by law they are responsible for your safety while on their premises the Walton family would have nothing to do with it because Sam before he died felt like he could shoulder the responsibility and law suits to furnish travelers a safe place to rest at night. 

Now you know the reason you can park at W/M and you can be sure there are at least 8 cameras scanning the parking lot in front of that store to insure your safety

Only a leased store from a developer will prohibit overnight parking and they usually give up after pressure from W/M then you have a few metro cities with dumb laws that W/M battles for your right to park there also

Believe it or not working for those people for 27 years they are not all bad, $#!% is going to happen at W/M,K/M,Lowes,HD or any of the box stores all I am trying to tell you guys and dolls W/M does put out a effort to insure your safety while sleeping in their parking lot for free 

I don't care for the direction the stores are headed now but times are changing everyday nothing any of us can do about that 

You didn't do any thing wrong Bob why would you not want to join in and express your opinion like the rest of us

good luck

Live each day like it was your last,one day it will be
Roger4106

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: May 20, 2013, 05:23:57 PM »

A bout a month ago
we stopped at a walmart in Albuquerque NM. Been there many times before. Security came around and informed me that no longer can stay overnite. He was very nice about it said campers were leaving garbage There was a sign but I missed it. Went back to the FlyingJ I  had just bought fuel there but didn't want to stay there as it is pretty noisy. Next stop was Pratt KS same thing, this time I saw the sign. Went back found a RV park (35$) Used  truck strops rest of the way home.  None of the local Walmarts in my area have no over nite parking  signs. I have heard ,after asking around that the locals are dumping there garabage as a tag costs 3 to4$ so just use Walmart  Any body else have this problem?
                                                                                                                  Roger 4106
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: