Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
December 21, 2014, 11:39:30 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It will not turn yellow, get musty, dusty, and mildewed or fade.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: MC-7 defroster motors  (Read 533 times)
Emcemv

1973 MCI MC-7 Combo

Ignore
« on: May 19, 2013, 11:19:29 AM »

I've started working on our defroster motors, they have been quite noisy and I'm pulling them both out to see if I can get some lube into the motor bearings.  I also found a couple of small rubber hoses connecting the defroster heater core to the pipes and these look like they are 40 years old so will replace those. Anyone know if the motors are still available or if there is a substitute?  I'm hoping a little lube will improve things but I am going to look around on the web to see if anything is available to replace them with.

I also discovered that you can't remove the left hand blower without removing the rubber hoses, you need to slide it to the right to get it out and it hanges up on the hoese and clamps.  I'm going to modify the blower outlet housing to fix that once I get it out.

Next, I have to get the front end of the bus up in the air so I can take the wheels off and go through the brakes and wheel bearings etc.  Got to learn how to adjust the brakes and check everything over.

Bruce & Nancy Fagley
1973 MCI MC-7 Combo Freighter
450HP DD 8V-92T 2000 Reman
HT 740 Allison
Woodbury CT.
Ed Hackenbruch

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2013, 11:58:59 AM »

Find a place that fixes small electrical motors and see if they need new bearings or brushes. Did mine a couple of years ago and i think it was something like 46 or 54 bucks for both motors.

1968 MCI 5A with 8V71 and Allison MT644 transmission.  Western USA
Seangie
www.herdofturtles.org

And We're Off... Like a Herd of Turtles

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2013, 12:16:05 PM »

Bruce -  I'd be surprised if an Alternator rebuild shop wouldn't be able so clean those up.

www.herdofturtles.org
1984 Eagle Model 10S

'Cause you know we,
we live in a van (Eagle 10 Suburban)
Driving through the night
To that old promised land'
Emcemv

1973 MCI MC-7 Combo

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2013, 06:43:05 PM »

Thanks Sean and Ed, we have a motor shop near us, may give that a shot.

Bruce & Nancy Fagley
1973 MCI MC-7 Combo Freighter
450HP DD 8V-92T 2000 Reman
HT 740 Allison
Woodbury CT.
Boomer

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2013, 08:21:29 PM »

You can unscrew the brush retainer (the small round knurled knobs) and check the brushes and commutator for that part of it.  It will probably produce a lot of cussin' to get the scroll off the shaft so be ready for that. Remove set screw and soak with penetrant. Mohawk, MCI or Kirks Automotive should have reman exchange motors, probably the best way to go.  My bet is the brushes have not been changed for years.

HTH

Mark

'81 Eagle 15/45
'47 GM PD3751-438
'65 Crown Atomic
Vancouver, WA USA
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: