Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 20, 2014, 02:58:27 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It will not be stolen by your mailman or your neighbor who also may be into buses.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Jake Brakes repaired  (Read 519 times)
Utahclaimjumper

Ignore
« on: May 21, 2013, 05:33:37 PM »

Clifford,,as you know Mike and I have been working on his "Jakes".  After waiting for new seals for the four solenoids we have got everything readjusted and they are working great.. The problem, was non-commanded application of the system,, after looking up the problem on the Jake website, I determined the area of concern was the solenoid seals(three each per solenoid)  the manual says to look for broken or missing seals,,,,,,,,yep all seals were broken , missing, and three out of four solenoids were loose and leaking badly..  After adjusting the buffer switch and having to adjust the throttle cable to allow the engine to idle down correctly, we have lift-off... Just in time as we are headed up hwy 14 out of Cedar City to Cedar Canyon campgrounds for the holiday weekend (6-8 percent grades) and it will be a good test..>>>Dan
« Last Edit: May 21, 2013, 05:45:50 PM by Utahclaimjumper » Logged

Utahclaimjumper 
 EX 4106 (presently SOB)
Cedar City, Ut.
 72 VW Baja towed
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2013, 06:31:17 PM »

Yep seals the one on the master will blow and make the solenoids come loose but that will not make one engage look in the oil pan and you will find the other missing seals

BTW I had bought a new seal kit for Mikey glad you got it fixed now I can take that off my list lol you did good always check the solenoids and seals only area that can make a Jake engage without power,  

Me I would pull the master and the oil bolts on the one missing the o-ring and be sure the o-ring is not plugging a oil hole in the bolt, he should have good Jakes with the oil pressure that engine has lot better than he had for sure 

Where did you buy the o-ring kit and solenoids I get mine from a Pac Brake dealer at a good price DD has gotten stupid on prices for Jakes parts for the antique engines
« Last Edit: May 21, 2013, 07:06:19 PM by luvrbus » Logged

Life is short drink the good wine first
Utahclaimjumper

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2013, 08:38:24 PM »

Mike got them thru Williams in Vegas,, they had to search around the country for a set of 12.  I like the new style neoprene way better than the old hard phenalic  seals. they seal better, don't break,, and you can get the proper torque on the solenoids..This engine really gets the job done.>>>Dan (Now the goof wants to drive to New York just for the fun!!)
« Last Edit: May 22, 2013, 05:36:12 AM by Utahclaimjumper » Logged

Utahclaimjumper 
 EX 4106 (presently SOB)
Cedar City, Ut.
 72 VW Baja towed
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2013, 05:19:36 AM »

Dan, bookmark this place they have the new style tune up kits and jumper seals www.tecbrake.net it saves some bucks,time and chasing around looking for the stuff
« Last Edit: May 22, 2013, 05:27:07 AM by luvrbus » Logged

Life is short drink the good wine first
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: