Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
July 22, 2014, 04:35:31 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: The dog will not eat it.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Anyone used a Powertech generator slide tray? Any good?  (Read 861 times)
belfert

Ignore
« on: May 22, 2013, 04:46:10 PM »

I am considering ordering a slide tray for my Powertech generator from Powertech.  They want $750 plus $80 shipping.  Anyone used one from Powertech?  Are they any good if anyone has bought one?  Yes, I possibly get something made for less, but I really don't have a lot of time in the next 8 weeks to shop around for something.  I know some have used Joeybed, but they went out of business in 2009.

I need to replace the brushes on the generator head again and it basically takes me a full weekend to get the generator unbolted and moved enough to get to the brushes and then put the generator back.  I'm also looking at one other option for getting to end of the generator that won't involve having to move the generator at all.  I really want to be able to service the brushes on the road if need be.

The fine talcum like dirt out in the Blackrock desert is not good for the generator head.  I'm also looking at some ways to keep some of the dirt out.

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
Sam 4106

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2013, 05:28:56 PM »

I don't know how much you could sell your generator for, but it would seem to me you would be better off selling it and getting one without brushes. I know that I wouldn't want to have to be working on a generator when on the road. YMMV The cost of working on generator plus the slide tray would offset some of the cost of switching generators.

Good luck, Sam

1976 MCI-8TA with 8V92 DDEC II and Allison HT740
chessie4905

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2013, 06:15:08 PM »

My Powertech is on a slide out tray, which slides out sideways, giving nice access. Is in 3rd bay on drivers side. Bulkhead is installed right behind unit, leaving the rest of bay usable and accessible from curb side. Generator is installed parallel with side of coach. I don't know if the slide is actually Powertech's though. One lever latching handle releases it to slide out.Was installed by Texas Custom Coach during conversion, before I purchased from original owner. I like this setup much better than the one in our previous 4104 which had a 12kw perkins diesel unit (Koehler) which was installed perpindicular to the side on curb side on a homemade slide out, which worked ok, but generator end was still somewhat difficult to access. I can post a pic of Powertech slideout if you  wish to see it.

GMC h8h 649#028
Pennsylvania-central
belfert

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2013, 07:26:00 PM »

I don't know how much you could sell your generator for, but it would seem to me you would be better off selling it and getting one without brushes. I know that I wouldn't want to have to be working on a generator when on the road. YMMV The cost of working on generator plus the slide tray would offset some of the cost of switching generators.

So far, I have never had to work on the generator on the road.  I would like to be prepared to do so if necessary.  I'm hoping that if I replace the brush assembly and blow the dirt out daily in the desert that I won't have further issues.  I made it from 2006 until 2011 with no issues.  I blew out 1/2 inch or more of dirt last year.

I did talk to Wrico today to see if they make a slide that might work and the gentleman I talked to was recommending a brushless generator head.  Generators have gone way up in price since I bought mine so a swap for another generator isn't in the budget.

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
akroyaleagle

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2013, 06:31:29 AM »

Brian,

Seems like a lot of money for something rearely needed.

I haven't seen your configuration but mine is in the usual Eagle location, (old condenser compartment) and I have never need to slide it out for over 17 years. I have a Kubota 10KW. I could get the generator head off without moving the generator though, I believe.

A couple of years ago, I had to replace the low pressure switch on the back side. It was no big thing, just reached over.

Joe Laird
'78 Eagle
Huron, South Dakota
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2013, 08:21:19 AM »

I have a Powertech 10kw brushless generator. Granted I have only 1,100hrs on it, but have not done anything with the generator end. I highly recommend you exchange the alternator head for a brushless design and be done with it. Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
belfert

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2013, 10:41:53 AM »

I checked with Powertech and they claim no brushless head will fit my generator because of the space limitations inside the enclosure.  The head is a Marathon pancake model.  The last time I had the generator apart I tried to find the part number on Marathon's website and was unsuccessful.  Once I have the part number I will do some research to see if there is a brushless alternative.

The generator is in a quiet enclosure from Powertech.  The generator head end is shoved up against the side of the compartment to leave enough room for the radiator to have ventilation.

TomC

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2013, 11:45:11 AM »

If you want to really get it quiet, remote mount the radiator with a squirrel cage blower. I have a 1/2hp 2spd belt driven single inlet squirrel cage blower from Graingers that sucks the air through the radiator then the hot air is expelled out the side right under the driver's seat. High speed for during the day an low spd that is nearly silent for night time use. Then you'll have enough space in that cabinet to slide the generator over to make room for a brushless alternator. Good luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
belfert

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2013, 07:17:15 PM »

I don't really have a place to remote mount a radiator.  A big reason I bought the Powertech Ultimate series generator is because it comes in a nice enclosure all ready to go.  I'm not anxious to rebuild my entire generator setup.  I forgot to check my generator head model this evening so I can see if anyone has a replacement brushless head that will fit.

wg4t50

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2013, 03:49:25 AM »

Having both a non slide and now a slide, I look at it like a spare tire, you only need it when you need it, the rest of the time it is just more junk to pay for and carry around, BUT when you need it, you forget all about the cost .
Dave M

MCI7 20+ Yrs
Foretravel w/ISM500
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: