Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
September 02, 2014, 11:56:14 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: It takes up much less space in your bus.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 95 North Richmond to Boston need alt suggestions  (Read 991 times)
Seangie
www.herdofturtles.org

And We're Off... Like a Herd of Turtles

Ignore
« on: May 23, 2013, 03:27:16 AM »

Hey all,

We are taking our maiden voyage in the bus leaving traveling all day Frriday to get to Boston.

Looking for suggestions for the quickest route off 95 around the cities (Baltimore, DC, NYC) as Friday holiday weekend traffic seems impossible to dodge at this point. 

We are trying to get started Thursday night and at least get to Richmond to give us a head start.

Thanks!

-Sean

www.herdofturtles.org
1984 Eagle Model 10S

'Cause you know we,
we live in a van (Eagle 10 Suburban)
Driving through the night
To that old promised land'
Emcemv

1973 MCI MC-7 Combo

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2013, 04:29:39 AM »

Sean

We always use RT 81 north to Scranton PA and then RT 84 east through CT.(you can stop and see us, we are 5 miles from RT84). RT 84 will take you up to RT 90 which is the Mass Turnpike and this will go right into Boston. I hope you are not taking the bus right into Boston!!

Bruce

Bruce & Nancy Fagley
1973 MCI MC-7 Combo Freighter
450HP DD 8V-92T 2000 Reman
HT 740 Allison
Woodbury CT.
Mike in GA

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2013, 05:43:54 AM »

Ditto. We use the I-81 route to I- 84 to I-90 every year when we spend our summers in New Hampshire. That eliminates Washington and New York with their intolerable congestion.
       'Nuff said.
Mike in GA

Past President, Southeast Bus Nuts. Busin' for more than 12 years in a 1985 MC 96a3 with DD 8v92 and a 5 speed Allison c/r.
chessie4905

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2013, 07:28:27 AM »

that 81 and 84 up around Scranton to Ct. is getting very busy anymore, and road is getting very rough.

GMC h8h 649#028
Pennsylvania-central
Oonrahnjay

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2013, 08:29:49 AM »

Ditto. We use the I-81 route to I- 84 to I-90 every year when we spend our summers in New Hampshire. That eliminates Washington and New York with their intolerable congestion.
       'Nuff said.
Mike in GA

Same here.  I-95 to the DC beltway, beltway to I-270 to Frederick MD, then US 15 to Harrisburg, I-81 north (up to Baltimore to I-83 to Harrisburg is a little shorter but much worse driving) .  Also avoids mucho dollero in tolls.

Bruce H; Wallace (near Wilmington) NC
1976 Daimler (British) Double-Decker Bus; 34' long
6-cyl, 4-stroke, Leyland O-680 engine

(New Email -- brucebearnc@ (theGoogle gmail place) .com)
Emcemv

1973 MCI MC-7 Combo

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2013, 09:16:18 AM »

Chessie, agreed, there is some construction around Scranton PA and some traffic but it is still better than 95 in my opinion. Sean, Also, stop in Port Jervis NJ for fuel. You don't want to buy fuel in CT, it is one of the highest in the country.

Bruce & Nancy Fagley
1973 MCI MC-7 Combo Freighter
450HP DD 8V-92T 2000 Reman
HT 740 Allison
Woodbury CT.
stevet903

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2013, 10:26:38 AM »

Sean - where are you planning to stay in the Boston area?  Not many options for RV parks that will fit a bus close to Boston.  Also be careful around Boston and in most of New England - There are many low clearance bridges that are not well marked before you get to them!! - Steve
wg4t50

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2013, 10:37:13 AM »

Anything to get away from the hassle on 95, just beware that I-81 above Carlisle at Cameron St is closed due to tanker trailer burnt bridge requiring replacement, is closed, get off on US 11 to I-83 then north to 81.  Better check local info too.
Dave M

MCI7 20+ Yrs
Foretravel w/ISM500
WG4T CW for over 50 wpm for ever.
Central Virginia
OneLapper

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2013, 11:57:49 AM »

Ditto again!   I'm only 20 minutes from Worcester.  Lmk if you need a hand while you're in this neck of the woods. 

Mark

OneLapper
1964 PD4106-2853
www.markdavia.com
Seangie
www.herdofturtles.org

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2013, 07:06:21 PM »

Thanks guys.....I've been at it all day trying to get a bunch of last minute things squared away. Ill check the routes before we leave tomorrow.

Was born & raised in Boston so very familiar with the area.  My mom just bought a house next to my brother on a cul de sac so we will be parking the bus there.  Sister got married and having a reception on Sunday. 

Kids and momma are loading up the beds and linens now.

I'm going to bed.  Leaving in the am.  Ill reply in more detail in the am.  Will try and visit if it works out.

-Sean

www.herdofturtles.org
1984 Eagle Model 10S

'Cause you know we,
Charles Seaton

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2013, 05:20:10 AM »

Wow,

No one like to drive through New York.  I live in New Rochelle and my bus is parked in Queens.  I have no choice, but I know what everyone means.  On my trips to NC, I usually leave about 11 p.m. just to stay out of traffic.

Good Luck on your drive

- Seaton
Seangie
www.herdofturtles.org

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2013, 04:05:58 AM »

We made it to New York State.  Route has been nice so far.  Weather was great until last night.  Now its New England like I remember as a kid, freeze warning, cold rain all day. 

Not too far out of the way,  added only about an hour and a half total to the trip.  Got through the construction areas at night so that wasn't bad.  Definitely learning to drive this bus over some good sized hills.  I think what I saved on tolls I paid in Diesel Smiley

Our biggest problem so far has been the windows fogging.  I have not hooked up any defrosters for the windows yet and now its super foggy and I have to wipe the windows down every 2 minutes.  I'd wait until the weather passes but its supposed to be like this all day and we are only 3 hours away.

Any suggestions for defrost?

Thanks guys. 

-Sean

www.herdofturtles.org
1984 Eagle Model 10S

'Cause you know we,
sledhead

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2013, 04:32:46 AM »

Do you have a inverter or a gene to run a 120v fan or heater at the front window? If not we have used a full roll of paper towel to wipe the window (use the whole roll like a large rag )

dave

1990 mci 102c  6v92 ta ht740  kit,living room slide . home base huntsville ontario canada
Seangie
www.herdofturtles.org

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2013, 02:30:22 PM »

Dave,

Had a cube heater stored below.  Pulled it out and it worked great.

Thanks.

-Sean

www.herdofturtles.org
1984 Eagle Model 10S

'Cause you know we,
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: