Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 02, 2014, 07:23:25 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This BB is intended for the sole purpose of sharing conversion and bus related information among visitors to our web site. These rules must be followed in order for us to continue this free exchange of info. No bad mouthing of any business or individual is permitted. Absolutely no items for sale are to be posted, except in the Spare Tire board. Interested in placing a classified or web ad, please contact our advertising dept. at 714-903-1784 or e-mail to: info@busconversions.com.

Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fuses on Circuit breakers....  (Read 647 times)
wildbob24

Ignore
« on: May 24, 2013, 08:04:46 AM »

This one is for the electrical gurus in the room.

My Buffalo has 6 circuits up front that have glass fuses connected between the wire and the circuit breaker. All of these circuits are for the various lamps and lights on the bus. The glass fuses are all 30amp and the circuit breakers vary with one being 5amp, 2 are 8amp and 3 are 10amp. See attached image.

I'm hoping someone more knowledgeable than I can explain the logic of this set-up because I'm not seeing it.

Thanks,

Bob

P8M4905A-1308, 8V71 w/V730
Custom Coach Conversion
Duluth, GA
bevans6

1980 MCI MC-5C

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2013, 04:16:09 PM »

I tried hard to come up with a legitimate reason for having high amp fuses in the load path with a low amp breaker.  All I could come up with is the obvious - minor overload, resettable breaker so you can change a lamp or whatever, major overload the fuse blows and you can find the short.  The problem with that is the breaker will blow before the fuse every time.  So the fuse becomes a last ditch protection for the major overload and the breaker failing.  \maybe the fuse is fast blow while the breakers are slow blow.   Maybe that is the answer but it's all I can come up with.

Brian

1980 MCI MC-5C, 8V-71T from a M-110 self propelled howitzer
Spicer 8844 4 speed Zen meditation device
Vintage race cars -
1978 Lola T440 Formula Ford
1972 NTM MK-4 B/SR
TedCalvert

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2013, 05:34:49 PM »

Breakers have a quality known as interrupting capacity. Fuses do too. If the available fault current exceeds the interrupting capacity of the breaker the contacts may weld together. Guess what happens then?
Uglydog56

I'd rather be lucky than good.

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2013, 08:36:51 PM »

The problem with those resettable breakers is they keep resetting even though your fault hasn't necessarily cleared.  Eventually the breaker fails and you have a fire. The fuse prevents that. Manually resettable breakers would be a simpler solution, bit it works as is.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Rick A. Cone
Silverdale, WA
66 Crowny Crown "The Ark"
gus

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2013, 10:58:07 PM »

These auto resetting type breakers were once used on older light aircraft and later banned and replaced by fuses for the above posted reasons.

However, that doesn't explain the huge different differences in ratings on your bus.

PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: