Bus Conversion Magazine Bulletin Board
June 22, 2018, 04:11:41 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription:  It will not get lost in the mail.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Bringing bus into Canada  (Read 2224 times)
Offline Offline

Posts: 12

« on: November 26, 2006, 07:47:34 PM »

We have the opportunity to buy a bus in Arizona U.S.A  We will be bringing it back to Canada to convert to a motorhome.  The bus is an MCI and is admissable for entry into Canada, but since it is still registered as a commercial vehicle and not a motorhome, how can I bring it into Canada? Has anyone had any experience doing this?
Hero Member
Offline Offline

Posts: 2427


« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2006, 08:09:54 PM »


The important points to watch are:
- letter of recall clearance from the mfr
- notify US customs at least 72 hours prior to arriving at the port - they have no sense of humour and no flexibility on this one
- depending on the state regs I believe you will be able to buy temporary tags to get the bus home
- check with your insurance carrier to see what you need to do to ensure you are insured but I expect you will need to buy trip insurance in Arizona from an Arizona carrier
- the trip to Ukrainian Tire is completely bogus but it is a Transport Canada requirement

IMHO you will still need to take the coach to an inspection station that is licensed to inspect buses prior to getting it registered in Canada.  Each province is different but similar - SK determines whether the coach is commercial or private based on what you want to pay for.  So register it as a private vehicle and get on with your conversion.  In SK you will definitely have to provide proof of inspection prior to obtaining a registration.  And they won't care 2 whits about the fact you took it to the morons at Canuckian Tire.  Unless you plan to use it during the conversion process, I would ask my insurance carrier about covering it while unplated.  That could save you a lot of money until you are ready to put it on the road.


R.J.(Bob) Evans
Used to be 1981 Prevost 8-92, 10 spd
Currently busless (and not looking)
My website
Our weblog
What's behind you doesn't matter - Enzo Ferrari
Jr. Member
Offline Offline

Posts: 50

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2006, 08:16:09 PM »

Hi Les
sounds like you have some knowledge of importing; www.riv.ca us the Canadian web site will tell you how to "import"
some of the things are MCI can be imported, you will need a letter from MCI that all safety recalls have been complied with, coach has to be in original condition, all seats and NO modifications prior to importing,  it will have to be "inspected" by an authorized inspection facility (Canadian Tire is one)

to Export from the US you will need the "TITLE" showing it is clear and other documents that their customs require [contact US Customs] and fax it all to the border crossing you will be exporting the coach to Canada at, 72 hours before arriving IE fax Monday arrive Friday--- fax Thursday arrive Wednesday -- 3 clear days


If you are a BC resident you can get an "Insurance binder" from ICBC before you leave to get the coach

I brought one in 2 years ago it is quite easy when YOU know the rules, so chin up and keep plugging along, it will happen
Les R
Langley BC Can
Jr. Member
Offline Offline

Posts: 53

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2006, 08:24:07 PM »

I just brought a commercial bus into Canada to convert to motorhome, and it is pretty easy. The first thing is the Bus must enter the country for its original intended purpose, this means do not remove any seats or interior until you have it registered in Canada.You have to do some work ahead of time. US border Patrol needs to inpect the bus before it leaves the US the have to get notification 48 hrs in advance. I put insurance on my bus and the bought a trip permit in the state I bought it. When you perchase it you will need the title, and it must be signed off by the current owner.You will need to contact MCI and get a letter of compliance.Plus you will need to enter the RIV program, www.riv.ca is the web site I think. They will giude you through most of the steps.I wasn't until I registered in Alberta. Be prepared to pay the GST at the Border

That is the most of it

Hope this Helps



1988 102C3 8V92
Hero Member
Offline Offline

Posts: 4568

'75 MC8 8V71 HT740

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2006, 07:08:50 AM »


All good info.

As over on BNO, I'm available for a drive-away service!!!

And at Crappy Tire, you'd better already have the list of stuff, and YOU guide the tech around ticking everything off.... If he doesn't know, he marks it as incomplete or missing, or......

happy coaching!

Frozen North, Greater Toronto Area
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to:  

Powered by MySQL Powered by PHP Powered by SMF 1.1.18 | SMF © 2013, Simple Machines Valid XHTML 1.0! Valid CSS!