Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 30, 2014, 08:21:35 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: New ownership began September 1st 2012!  Please send any comments to info@busconversions.com
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Recommendations for Generator Enclosure and Fire Proofing  (Read 936 times)
Zeroclearance

Ignore
« on: May 26, 2013, 11:34:23 AM »

I am removing my faithful 20KW Genset and replacing it with a 7KW unit.   Dropping down from the 4 cylinder Kubota to a 3 cylinder Kubota D950.    The footprint is a lot smaller.   I would like to remote mount the radiator, but would really like idea's for a heavy duty stainless enclosure.

Thanks in advance.
jjrbus

MCI5C/N Ft Myers FL

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2013, 03:44:52 AM »

When doing my enclosure I used 3/4" plywood and fancy  $$$$$ lead lined foam, with lead sheeting on the floor. The lead sheeting was obtained at the local scrap yard.

Doing it today, if room permitted I would use plywood and 2 layers of 5/8" fire rated dry wall.

Why stainless? Are you referring to the radiator?                                             HTH  JIm

Remember, even at a Mensa convention someone is the dumbest person in the room!

http://photobucket.com/buspictures

luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2013, 06:21:57 AM »

Lead lined sheetrock gives the best for fire protection and noise only draw back is the weight,they also sell lead lined plywood with a good fire rating both are easy to cut and handle as the lead is sandwiched between the layers and the lead comes in different thickness. 

I went the $$$ lead foam on the Eagle but over the years it started to flake off and will soak up any type fluids impossible to keep clean

good luck

Life is short drink the good wine first
Zeroclearance

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2013, 11:58:13 AM »

I was planning on welding a stainless steel outer enclosure.    In the high dollar rigs they have that sound-fire blanket fastened to the enclosure.   I really don't want to introduce wood into the box.   The 5/8 sheetrock turns to powder over time.    Is there a tile backer board that is fire resistant rated?
gus

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2013, 03:58:43 PM »

My Honda EV6010 gen is gas and gets hotter than diesels. My 3/4" plywood box with two lightweight 1/4" EHP liners and a 1/4" metal floor heat sink works very well.  All sides and top are easily removable for maint access.

Plywood is easy to work with and sound absorbing.

Any metal is noisy.

SS is overkill but it looks nice.

Lead is expensive and heavy.

PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR
jjrbus

MCI5C/N Ft Myers FL

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2013, 06:11:51 PM »

Tile backer board aka cement board,  Hmmm I wonder??    JIm

Remember, even at a Mensa convention someone is the dumbest person in the room!

Jnbroadbent

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2013, 08:43:06 AM »

Depending on where you are in the country (because being in Florida, I CANNOT get my hands on this stuff)

But home depot carries this stuff called QuiteBrace and it's a sound dampening wood product that has good fire resistant qualities. It's SUPER cheap too (8 bucks for a 4x8 sheet)

I suggest anyone to try it out.

Jon
1980 Mc9 w/ veg oil
8v71
Jacksonville Fl
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: