Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
August 01, 2014, 05:00:07 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: You will not have to go out in the rain, sleet, hail, or snow to retrieve it.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What parts for the bus do you carry with you on the road?  (Read 3036 times)
Mex-Busnut

Ignore
« on: June 12, 2013, 07:35:38 AM »

Dear Friends:

We aren't on the road yet, but soon!

I would like to learn from you experienced busnuts what would you consider to be the minimum in PARTS you take on the road with you for bus maintenance and repair? I started a separate thread for minimum TOOLS you carry on the road.

In our case here in Mexico, we can very easily find ourselves literally 150 miles from the nearest parts place.

I am considering for starters oil, air, fuel filters, belts and hoses.

I hope to become brilliant from this thread! :-)

Thanks in advance!

Dr. Steve, San Juan del Río, Querétaro, Mexico, North America, Planet Earth, Milky Way.
1981 Dina Olímpico (Flxible Flxliner clone), 6V92TA Detroit Diesel
Rockwell model RM135A 9-speed manual tranny.
Jake brakes
100 miles North West of Mexico City, Mexico. 6,800 feet altitude.
ol713

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2013, 08:01:52 AM »

Hi;
    In addition to what you mentioned, I carry one
    fuel injector and one governor for the air
    compressor.  I also carry a jack and tools to
    change a tire.  (in the middle of now where.

Good luck,   Merle.
belfert

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2013, 08:32:10 AM »

I have an 18 gallon Rubbermaid tub of spares.  I have fuel filters, oil, tranny fluid, antifreeze, a few pieces of hose, hose clamps, spare headlight bulbs, belts, and probably a few other things.  I had Dexron for the power steering, but the bottle sprang a leak.  

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
Mike in GA

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2013, 09:08:23 AM »

Two of the items that bring me the most peace of mind are a credit card and my PC with access to this website.  LOL.
     No, seriously, this board has been a lifesaver to so many stranded and broken down Bus Nuts that I wouldn't leave home without access.
Your usual assortment of filters and spares is a must, too. Along with a spare tire and a run-up block.
Mike in GA

Past President, Southeast Bus Nuts. Busin' for more than 12 years in a 1985 MC 96a3 with DD 8v92 and a 5 speed Allison c/r.
Cary and Don

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2013, 09:08:28 AM »

All the stuff mentioned so far. Enough air fittings and air line to fix a major leak. Brake diaphrams.  Some extra relays, switches, breakers, and fuses.  At least one magnetic switch.  Fluids for every system.  A roll of #10 wire, a box kit of electric connectors, a roll of good electrical tape, zip ties in all sizes, plumbers tape, a selection of bolts and nuts, soap bottle, knock loose, WD40, and grease.

A house system water pump, fittings to fix water leaks, and two 5 gallon gas cans.  

We spend a lot of time in the middle of nowhere also.

Don and Cary

1973 05 Eagle
Neoplan AN340
robertglines1
steam nut

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2013, 09:43:25 AM »

duct tape

Bob@Judy  98 XLE prevost with 3 slides --Home done---last one! SW INdiana
belfert

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2013, 10:26:00 AM »

I forgot I also carry wires, a full set of terminals and butt connecters, fuses, a spare house water pump, and some parts for the house electrical system.

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
Dreamscape
Dreamscape
Global Moderator

1968 Silver Eagle Model 01 8V71 Allison 740 #7443

« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2013, 10:45:05 AM »

Clifford's phone number on speed dial!

Grin

Seriously.......We carry extra belts, even worn out ones that are not broken in half. Spare filters, lots of rags, overalls, something smooth to crawl on when "Down Under", extra oils, fuel can of diesel, various nuts and bots, assortment of wire and connectors....The list is never complete, always adding to it. Just devote a place to put it all. We have 1 1/2 bays of tools and parts, but we also live in ours full time.  Wink

Becky and Paul Lawry, On The Road
Travel Blog - http://dreamscapetravels.wordpress.com/
Bus Blog - http://dreamscapesilvereagle.wordpress.com/

Our coach was originally owned by the Dixie Echoes.
bevans6

1980 MCI MC-5C

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2013, 11:08:10 AM »

Aside from the usual old belt, light bulbs, spare air regulator the only part I carry is a starter motor.  Why - because the bus came with a spare starter motor and I just left it in the bay and never thought about it.  Then, when my starter motor failed I had one!  Kismet.  24V starter motors are not in every truck stop shop.

Brian

1980 MCI MC-5C, 8V-71T from a M-110 self propelled howitzer
Spicer 8844 4 speed Zen meditation device
Vintage race cars -
1978 Lola T440 Formula Ford
1972 NTM MK-4 B/SR
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2013, 11:31:50 AM »

The ones that get towed to my place parts and tools are not much good to the owner lol,I never found a need for lots of tools and parts preventive maintenance is all one needs you never see a charter bus with $10,000 worth of parts and tools running down the road   

I still laugh when you see a Prevost or other bus owners with the $20,000 worth of Snap/On boxes and tools in a shop having a 5 dollar relay changed to me it is funny

I can't help but laugh when a owner shows me all his bright and shinny Snap/On box and tools taking up 1 side of a bay and has no idea how to use any of the tools except a screw driver and a pair of pliers but he will display his tools

My friend Doyle has a nice set of Snap/On still banded together but he is getting a lesson on what they are for now and doing a good job at it as I watch  Grin

Live each day like it was your last,one day it will be
lorna

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2013, 12:12:49 PM »

We are still converting and putting together our repair supplies.

Coachnet is a must since neither one of us wants to change a tire on this beastie. I don't think I have the strenght to change one of these huge tires and it would probably give David another heart attack.  So what we would carry would be along the lines of light bulbs, filters, belts and fluids. Basic maintenance stuff. Basic maintenance would pull from our stock and be replaced as used. Allows us the luxury to replace without paying higher "interstate" or "middle of nowhere" prices.

Plumbing: PEX straight connections, rings, short lengths of PEX, crimping tool (we have it, might as well keep it),  PVC glue, couplers, short length of PVC pipe for repairs, hose clamps of varying sizes, EU6000 (use to seal holes in stinky sewer hose until we buy a replacement), extra sewer hose, extra section of waterhose and repair fittings (we cut a long water hose into shorter sections, winterized the common length and can add another hose to extend for the rare times we need longer hose), 12vdc water pump

Electrical: electrical tape, crimp on electrical fittings, electrical wiring, duplex recepticles, wirenuts, 12vdc fuses, panel box breakers, extra light bulbs for interior lights.

LP Gas: gas fittings, gas pipe tape, flexible hoses

Misc: spray can of Rustoleum LeakSeal (it works for us), a good sticky duct tape, metal duct tape, Henry's 212 Clear Elastometric caulk (can be used on a wet roof), basic metric/SAE socket & wrenches (Jeep uses some metric), hammer, cordless circular saw, cordless screw driver/drill, flashlight, routerand other miscellaneous woodworking/carpentry tools left over from conversion and previous profession.

We have very little "RV" stuff in our conversion. Our parts came from big box hardware/lumber stores. Even our water filter housing accepts several different brands and levels of filtration. We can buy a filter from ACE, Home Depot, Lowes or Walmart, and have. Our plan was to be able to repair most anything in our "house" pretty much anyplace we travel. The extras we carry are to replace/repair on the holiday weekend or late at night when things tend to break.

Just to clarify...
We live in our Residential Vehicle 24/7/365-366. Because we treat our bus as a house on wheels, I have been informed several times on RV forums that we are not "real fulltime RVers". So our RV is a Residential Vehicle and we live everyday in our RV.
chessie4905

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2013, 12:54:56 PM »

air hose that connects to tank under driver that will reach to all wheels, tire chuck and an ACCURATE tire pressure gage.I think an ir gun would be useful now that they are so cheap.

GMC h8h 649#028
Pennsylvania-central
sledhead

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2013, 01:25:47 PM »

Small tool box 8" x 8" x 12" with filter wrench ,hammer ,vise grips and small tools.
 1 gal. of trans oil , 50/50 mix anti freeze ,2 fuel filters prim, sec.   2 gal of 40 w oil .

Other then that visa ,road service, cel phone , lap top ,cel internet stick .

oh ya my truck                                   dave

1990 mci 102c  6v92 ta ht740  kit,living room slide . home base huntsville ontario canada
uncle ned

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2013, 01:47:36 PM »

Clifford   Tell Doyle that i took sam back down to Genes rally at Wade . He looked and looked for Coffee but had no luck. He is heart broken.
lel
A heart broken poddle is a site to see. Tell Doyle hello from all of us in NC

uncle ned

4104's forever
6v92 v730
Huggy Bear
niles500
Niles500

ROSIE

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2013, 06:43:29 PM »

Clifford - When are you ever gonna finish w/ Doyle's Bus - Ain't seen hide nor hair of him since he went out west many a year ago - tell him 'n coffee we said hi - FWIW

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")  

- Niles
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: