Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
July 30, 2014, 06:12:13 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: You will not have to go out in the rain, sleet, hail, or snow to retrieve it.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What parts for the bus do you carry with you on the road?  (Read 3015 times)
lorna

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: June 14, 2013, 02:18:08 PM »

I have a good spare radiator<it takes up a lot of room<but It would save me a lot of money if I needed it!
we paid right at $900 to have our radiator on our skoolie pulled and all the rocks, gravel, sand & a couple pounds of soldier removed, cleaned, crack repaired, reinstalled and fluids plus radiator cap replaced. This was near Longview Tx... East Texas Radiator. Only real repair, other than a single flat tire on the towed jeep. Not bad for a 1700+ mile trip in temps over 100F.
Mex-Busnut

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: June 28, 2013, 03:30:09 AM »

we paid right at $900 to have our radiator on our skoolie pulled and all the rocks, gravel, sand & a couple pounds of soldier removed, cleaned, crack repaired, reinstalled and fluids plus radiator cap replaced.
Among the preventive maintenance things we did on ours was put in a brand new radiator core. The old one was quite rotten, after 31 years of heavy use. Total cost parts and labor: Less than $750 U. S. labor here is a lot lower than in the U. S.

Dr. Steve, San Juan del Río, Querétaro, Mexico, North America, Planet Earth, Milky Way.
1981 Dina Olímpico (Flxible Flxliner clone), 6V92TA Detroit Diesel
Rockwell model RM135A 9-speed manual tranny.
Jake brakes
100 miles North West of Mexico City, Mexico. 6,800 feet altitude.
jd_boggs

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: June 28, 2013, 09:30:58 AM »

I carry a full set of tools including 3 air assisted hydraulic jacks, 1" drive air wrench 1400 lbs torque. One 5 gallon bucket of 40 w diesel motor oil, 12 and 14 gauge wire, crimpers and terminals etc.. air governor. Full set of bus manuals and I'm trying to find an left handed air compressor as a spare. Also carry an assortment of brass fittings and valves. Full set of filters minus the air filter. Nylon air DOT hose, 3/8, 1/2, 1/4".....
belfert

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: June 28, 2013, 09:42:26 AM »

Among the preventive maintenance things we did on ours was put in a brand new radiator core. The old one was quite rotten, after 31 years of heavy use. Total cost parts and labor: Less than $750 U. S. labor here is a lot lower than in the U. S.

You got by cheap.  I installed a new radiator core in my bus and just the core alone with labor to move the old tanks to the new core was almost $1800 in 2007.  I did all the labor to remove and install my radiator myself with a friend.

It was worth it to install a new radiator as my bus was overheating on almost every grade.  Now my bus runs at the same temp all day long.  My radiator may be bigger than yours thus making it more expensive, but I still think you got a heck of a deal.

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
TexasBorderDude
Founder - Texas Curmudgeon Society

Nothing simple is ever easy...

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: June 28, 2013, 10:55:37 AM »

Clifford   Tell Doyle that i took sam back down to Genes rally at Wade . He looked and looked for Coffee but had no luck. He is heart broken.
lel
A heart broken poddle is a site to see. Tell Doyle hello from all of us in NC

uncle ned

I haven't told Coffee there are other rallies, or she would just get in the car and drive herself.

Clifford - When are you ever gonna finish w/ Doyle's Bus - Ain't seen hide nor hair of him since he went out west many a year ago - tell him 'n coffee we said hi - FWIW

She's trying to oversee all the work and hurry it up as best she can.

Don't let him near the wire cutters Clifford.

Bob, we got down to Mexico and she loved the view.  Hadda murder at the marina in San Carlos the week we were there.  I tried to get jumbo shrimp to bring back to Clifford's.... but no one could cook 'em like you did!

A curmudgeon's reputation for malevolence is undeserved. They're neither warped nor evil at heart. They don't hate mankind, just mankind's absurdities. They're just as sensitive and soft-hearted as the next guy, but they hide their vulnerability beneath a crust of misanthropy.
tom120

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: July 02, 2013, 03:04:55 PM »

Spare parts we carry in out 47 Clipper:  water pump, fuel pump, fan blade, starter, distributor, ignition parts, full gasket set, axle shaft, alternator, belts, hoses, push rods, filters, fluids. went over 4000 miles last July. only thing I needed was the starter. it crapped out on the 2nd to the last day.
Ed Hackenbruch

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: July 07, 2013, 07:33:01 AM »

Well its not a part for the bus but i do carry a couple of different hand saws. Have used them twice now, (July 20th 2012 and again last nite), to cut up trees that have fallen on the bus and the jeep......No damage either time luckily.

1968 MCI 5A with 8V71 and Allison MT644 transmission.  Western USA
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: