Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
November 25, 2014, 09:04:57 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It will not be stolen by your mailman or your neighbor who also may be into buses.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tachometer for series 50/60  (Read 1658 times)
afryer

Ignore
« on: November 27, 2006, 04:43:36 PM »

Does anyone know who makes a tach which is compatable with a Detroit Series 50?  The ECM puts out a signal which is 12/rev.
Dallas

« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2006, 04:47:59 PM »

Stewart Warner, Isspro, VDO, just to name a few.

Did you get your engine swap done? Do you have any pictures for us?

Enquiring minds want to know!  Wink Wink

Grumble, grumble. I still think a Mercedes  MBE 4000 would have been the cats meaow! Grin

I hope it went well.
luvrbus

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2006, 07:01:23 PM »

Go to the Dixson web site and you can find a dealer close to you and  they make nice stuff
rayshound

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2006, 10:45:33 AM »

Depends on your gauge set up. If you replaced the instrument cluster with a ddec compatable one it will talk to the whole gauge package off of the network, the entire gauge package over a twisted pair of wires.  Ray
belfert

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2006, 11:28:36 AM »

Depends on your gauge set up. If you replaced the instrument cluster with a ddec compatable one it will talk to the whole gauge package off of the network, the entire gauge package over a twisted pair of wires.  Ray

Tell me more about this please!

I have a Series 60 original to the bus and some of my gauges don't work all that well due to grounding and other issues.  I would love to have a dash that talks to the DDEC to get all the info.

Brian Elfert
rayshound

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2006, 05:06:33 PM »

Brian;
   THe DDEC3 & 4 and maybe others have two communications loops. One is called J1922 & the second J1939. These loops communicate with other divices on the vehicle. Gauge clusters, pro driver, electronic transmission to name a few. You might check Ronthebusnut.com web site. He lists two different instrument clusters and explains some info.
   Please understand I'm fairly new at this DDEC stuff and others on this BBS may have more info to offer.   Ray
H3Jim

1995 Prevost H3-41, series 60, B500 Allison

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2006, 05:31:53 PM »

For $400 you can hook up your PC up to the DDec brain and read anything / everything it has.  You can record data too, but you cannot change any parameters in the DDEc

http://www.simply-smarter.com/vmspc.html

Jim Stewart
El Cajon, Ca.  (San Diego area)

Travel is more than the seeing of sights, it is a change that goes on, deep  and permanent, in the ideas of living.
belfert

« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2006, 06:06:04 PM »

Brian;
   THe DDEC3 & 4 and maybe others have two communications loops. One is called J1922 & the second J1939. These loops communicate with other divices on the vehicle. Gauge clusters, pro driver, electronic transmission to name a few. You might check Ronthebusnut.com web site. He lists two different instrument clusters and explains some info.
   Please understand I'm fairly new at this DDEC stuff and others on this BBS may have more info to offer.   Ray

Interesting.  I have heard of the J1939 system, but I assumed it was new(er) diesel pushers only.  Any ideas where the hookup for this would be?  (I have a Dina.)  Maybe I'll call MCI/Dina support tomorrow and see what they know about where the connecters for this might be.

Brian Elfert
rayshound

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2006, 07:30:39 PM »

Brian;
        I'm assuming you have a ATEC or World transmission, if you do the communications would be already in the dash. My engine was out of a volvo truck and it had an 18 speed stick shift. The J1939 was not used. On the brain mounted on the side of the engine on the right side of the brain in the center is a 3 prong connector with a dummy plug in it. I removed the dummy plug and got a plug off of another wreck that had a autoshift and cut the plug off of the wrecked harness. Ray
H3Jim

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2006, 07:48:08 PM »

MIne is right beside the driver.  Its where the Prollink hooks up, if that helps any.

Jim Stewart

Travel is more than the seeing of sights, it is a change that goes on, deep  and permanent, in the ideas of living.
belfert

« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2006, 04:58:20 AM »

MIne is right beside the driver.  Its where the Prollink hooks up, if that helps any.

So basically it is the diagnotic connecter below the dash where the Detroit folks hook up their computer then?

If I am reading this thread right, I could hook up the right dash to this connecter and have a digitally controlled dash coming right off the DDEC?  Wouldn't the gauges be a lot more accurate than the analog ones I have now as everything is digital and no loss from 40 feet of wire?

Brian Elfert
H3Jim

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2006, 06:52:02 AM »

Thats correct, as long as the sensors are accurate.  Th cool thing about the software is that you can make a gauge for any input from the DDec.  You can make that gauge any size, ad in any location on the screen.  You can set alerts so if a parameter falls outside a range you specify, it alerts you.

I first saw this on  Jim Shepherd's bus, and immediatley bought one myself.  I think he's "sold" a lot of these units for the company.  Neither of us has any interest in the company.

Jim Stewart

belfert

« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2006, 03:21:15 PM »

Brian;

Are you sure on the DDEC 3 having J1939 and J1922?

I talked to MCI today about the communications buses in my 1995 Dina with Series 60 and DDEC 3 and they said J1939 didn't come out until 2002 or 2003 and that I only have J1702.

Brian Elfert
rayshound

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2006, 08:12:50 PM »

Brian,
       yes mine does have both loops. Mine is a 2001. a ddec 4 computer would also plug into the existing harness which tells me of the compatibility. Not that you need to swap. RV Safety Man went from a ddec 3 to ddec4 so his autoshift could communicate. He had trouble activating one of the loops while at detroit dealer. Mine had no trouble at all.
                                                                                            Ray
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: