Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
July 30, 2014, 06:23:17 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: It arrives at least two weeks before the First Class printed magazine.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: URGENT Technomadia - Overheated and stranded in SE Montana LOCKED DOWN 4 REVIEW!  (Read 20617 times)
Scott Bennett
Scott & Heather MCI-9

Scott & Heather

Ignore
« Reply #105 on: June 19, 2013, 06:12:16 AM »

Oh geez...not another one. Said a prayer for you guys...wish we could do more...

Scott & Heather
1984 MCI9 6V92-turbo with 9 inch roof raise & conversion in progress.
http://www.scottmichaelbennett.com/p/our-bus.html
˙ǝɯoɔlǝʍ suoıʇɐuop ˙snq ʍǝu ɐ pǝǝu ʎlqɐqoɹd ll,ǝʍ 'sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı
B_K

Ignore
« Reply #106 on: June 19, 2013, 06:28:42 AM »

Quote from: technomadia
Wait - is it even possible to run a DDEC engine without the rest of the computer control stuff?

What are the advantages (and disadvantages?) of going with an engine with the DDEC controls still integrated?

- Chris

If you go DDEC you'll need the ECM . Which those engines Don knows about are version 2.
But as I said an Don will also advise I'd go ahead and change it over to a version 4.

With your techie skills you won't have any problem making the conversion to throttle by wire or setting up a laptop as a dash to follow the DDEC gauge info.

On our older Setra's (the 88-95's I know of for sure!) they put 2 temp, and oil pressure sensors each in the engine one (ea) for the DDEC, and one for the dash gauges.
Grin  BK  Grin

Oh and if rebuilding it to turbo specs and having Don turbo it later why not have him ship you his custom pistons, cams and other goodies so it will be set up with his parts from the start. (remember he not only makes power, but passes emissions too!)
uncle ned

Ignore
« Reply #107 on: June 19, 2013, 07:01:11 AM »

I keep waiting for Ken Arnold to chime in here.  He has a  series 50 he started to install in a silversides.

That is my wish engine in the back of HUGGY.  Will happen when I hit the lottery.

Love my 6v92 turbo but the smoke and sometimes the heat worrys me.

Don pistons and liners are a work of art. If I were building my engine he is the person I want to tell me what to do.
he is also a pretty good cook.

uncle ned
Huggy a 4104 with a 6v92 and v730 
a real sports car of buses

4104's forever
6v92 v730
Huggy Bear
roadrunnertex

Ignore
« Reply #108 on: June 19, 2013, 07:03:56 AM »

I sort of have a very small little dog in this fight so to speak as I know these bus folks. Grin
It's called Money do you have enough? To let the shop repower your bus with a running take out 6V/92 turbo or rework the 8V/71 and go on down the road with a known warranty and know what has been done to the engine and other components.
Folks Nimco is no longer Nick Liberti has retired from Nimco so we have lost our good source of good used takeout engines and transmission's.
How many times we have seen Quote!
Oh I have a good low time engine that was running fine when it was removed from the bus!
Only to find out it's no better than what we had in our bus before it road failed.
My idea is rework the 8V/71 rod out and repair the radiator install a good Hayden Transmission oil cooler and go down the road from there.
So you go up the hill's a little slower and have less power Than a Silver 6/V92 but you still get there and perhaps have a little money left over for repairs on down the road.
Remember your Kitty Cat knows the best way to solve the problem it's called I think I will take a cat nap and hope for the best. Roll Eyes
Good luck on which ever option you go with.
jlv
technomadia

Zephyr - 1961 GM PD-4106-446

Ignore
« Reply #109 on: June 19, 2013, 07:25:25 AM »

Remember your Kitty Cat knows the best way to solve the problem it's called I think I will take a cat nap and hope for the best. Roll Eyes

jlv

JLV - Thank you for your call last night! Your wise and logical reasoning made our blog post today:

http://www.technomadia.com/2013/06/decisions-decisions-decisions/

Smiley

- Cherie

Cherie and Chris / www.technomadia.com
Full-time 'Technomads' since 2006 (technology enabled nomads)
Hard Headed Ken

1988 Prevost Angola Conversion Repowered With 14L Series 60 & Eaton Ultrashift

Ignore
« Reply #110 on: June 19, 2013, 07:40:00 AM »

I keep waiting for Ken Arnold to chime in here.  He has a  series 50 he started to install in a silversides.

That is my wish engine in the back of HUGGY.  Will happen when I hit the lottery.

Love my 6v92 turbo but the smoke and sometimes the heat worrys me.

Don pistons and liners are a work of art. If I were building my engine he is the person I want to tell me what to do.
he is also a pretty good cook.

uncle ned
Huggy a 4104 with a 6v92 and v730  

Ned,
 I've read all this and yes I have a Series 50 and 730 in my shop. Even though I don't care for the 2 strokes, it requires a lot of work to do a repower. The DDEC wiring is probably the least problem. It's the plumbing; heater hoses, fuel hoses, radiator hoses, inter-cooler hoses, trans cooler hoses, exhaust system and then mounts have to be made for most of this plumbing. All of these things will be in a different place and lot of consideration has to be given to the routing of all this plumbing. Is it going be serviceable? Is it going rub against something and cause a failure? Is it too close to a heat source? As much as can't believe I'm saying this it maybe best for Chris and Cherie to keep the setup they have and have a warranty with it. After all they were satisfied with it.

Ken

« Last Edit: June 19, 2013, 07:42:19 AM by Hard Headed Ken » Logged

Link to my engine swap slide show

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oxAFFBcoTQI
technomadia

Ignore
« Reply #111 on: June 19, 2013, 07:47:16 AM »

The plan that our cat Kiki greenlighted today (by notching her teeth on the estimate sheet) - was to proceed with having the shop take the engine out and start poking around. We want to isolate what actually failed and caused the damage in the first place, and we'd also like to confirm that the heads and block and crankshaft and other key parts of our 8V71 are all still in good enough shape to be worth rebuilding. This will be a key point in our decision between rebuild or repower.

In the meantime, we're following up on the 6v92 research to determine how viable of an option that is. We know it'll be a lot of reworking, and we'll get a feel for if this particular shop feels confident in approaching that at all. Keep the thoughts coming, we appreciate them all!

- Cherie
« Last Edit: June 19, 2013, 07:54:31 AM by technomadia » Logged

roadrunnertex

Ignore
« Reply #112 on: June 19, 2013, 08:14:08 AM »

The plan that our cat Kiki greenlighted today (by notching her teeth on the estimate sheet) Grin

Go for it! Kiki sez now can I have treat and a long cat nap! Cheesy

Keep us posted folks.
jlv
eagle19952

Ignore
« Reply #113 on: June 19, 2013, 08:49:21 AM »

- was to proceed with having the shop take the engine out and start poking around. We want to isolate what actually failed   - Cherie

I applaud this choice, now capitalize on this and break out the designer overalls, get out your vintage Rosy the Riveter head gear, the neoprene apron and gloves you have stashed...arm your self with a pair of eye protection and sign the parts cleaners apprentice agreement and soon you will be a junior Yoda.... Grin
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #114 on: June 19, 2013, 08:51:06 AM »

Forget about turboing the 8v71 in a 4106 there is not enough room I have a turbo set up off a 4905 8v71 it was the worst clopped mess you ever laid eyes on  

Live each day like it was your last,one day it will be
technomadia

Ignore
« Reply #115 on: June 19, 2013, 08:51:33 AM »

I applaud this choice, now capitalize on this and break out the designer overalls, get out your vintage Rosy the Riveter head gear, the neoprene apron and gloves you have stashed...arm your self with a pair of eye protection and sign the parts cleaners apprentice agreement and soon you will be a junior Yoda.... Grin

They actually have invited us to shadow them.. we are both really excited about that opportunity to learn Smiley

eagle19952

Ignore
« Reply #116 on: June 19, 2013, 09:04:58 AM »

They actually have invited us to shadow them.. we are both really excited about that opportunity to learn Smiley

You will probably learn words that you may find shocking....oh sugar will evoke laffter...and good natured derision....nag dab bit is probably acceptable......use your best Popeye swagger or pop for a set of ear plugs.... Grin

PS it will definitely give you a thorough appreciation of the cost... Shocked
Lin

1965 MC-5a

Ignore
« Reply #117 on: June 19, 2013, 10:56:14 AM »

Hey Clifford, there was a guy near here that owned several conversions.  He was selling a 4106 with an 8v92. 

You don't have to believe everything you think.
Dave5Cs

1979 MCI MC5Cs 6V-71 HT-740 Allison, Roseville, CA

Ignore
« Reply #118 on: June 19, 2013, 11:19:15 AM »

If kiki didn t sign it with...........a hairball.The contract won t add up to a hill of catnip.  Come on someone had to say it

Dave5Cs from Galaxy S III

technomadia

Ignore
« Reply #119 on: June 19, 2013, 11:31:46 AM »

You will probably learn words that you may find shocking....oh sugar will evoke laffter...and good natured derision....nag dab bit is probably acceptable......use your best Popeye swagger or pop for a set of ear plugs.... Grin

PS it will definitely give you a thorough appreciation of the cost... Shocked

Sounds like I might have to teach them some new vocabulary... I am the red headed daughter of a sailor, afterall Wink

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: