Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
November 28, 2014, 05:29:15 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It will not turn yellow, get musty, dusty, and mildewed or fade.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: URGENT Technomadia - Overheated and stranded in SE Montana LOCKED DOWN 4 REVIEW!  (Read 23533 times)
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #120 on: June 19, 2013, 11:35:27 AM »

Yea Lin I know that guy

Life is short drink the good wine first
Debo

Ignore
« Reply #121 on: June 19, 2013, 03:02:32 PM »

Sorry for the unexpected side-trip you guys, but it sounds like you're doing your research and formulating a plan. I really appreciate your willingness to share your approach to all of this because it's potentially something that could happen to any bus nut at any time. It's been fascinating to read about your process and experiences so far, and I hope you'll feel like sharing some real-world numbers with us (when it comes to that) regarding billed hours, cost, etc.

I'm afraid I don't have much to offer other than what my experience in the aviation world has taught me, and that is "keep it simple, reliable, and relatively easy to repair in a pinch." It's just been my experience that increased parts count and complexity create more nooks and crannies where gremlins can hide. Of course this comes from a guy who is happy with an 8V-71N because I'm not in a hurry and it's about as bulletproof as these things get. I know you have a lot of choices about the way you want to proceed, and I just thought I'd throw my two cents into the discussion.

Best of luck.

1981 MCI MC9
Detroit 8V-71N
Spicer 4-Speed Manual
Outer Banks, NC (Nags Head)
tjtheman007

Ignore
« Reply #122 on: June 19, 2013, 03:46:20 PM »

They actually have invited us to shadow them.. we are both really excited about that opportunity to learn Smiley

Jealous!! I would jump at that opportunity! I have much to learn, but am very willing to.

Sorry about everything that happened. Glad to see you made the best of it though and seem like you are both still smiling!

I know my opinion doesn't matter much, but I vote keep your existing engine configuration, that is if you have been happy with it so far. If you do have a cracked block, piston, etc, just replace it. (I know, easier said then done). There will be A LOT of work that will have to go into a complete re-power, were as fixing/rebuilding your current engine or getting an exact replacement will be basically bolt-in.

Anyway, best of luck with everything and the researching aspect!!

TJ
PD4501-858

TJ

Scenicruiser
PD4501-858
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #123 on: June 19, 2013, 03:52:20 PM »

Just for the helluva it escaping from the heat today I did a total on a 8v71 re manufacture not using rebuilt but new heads,a new crank new main bearing caps,oil pump, water pump, machine work(line bore and cylinder bore) using some rebuilt stuff like the injectors,blower,cams rocker arms,rods and such. 

I did this for Ricky just see if Stewart and Stevenson could justify 27,000 for a out of frame 8v71 reman seems like they could

Hold your breath or set down total for parts only no Jakes included from WW Williams Detroit Diesel with my little discount $26,124.59 without tax just parts amazing then add $12,000 to $17,000 labor is it worth it.

A big thanks to Bill at WW Williams for playing my game lol it was a slow day for him also
« Last Edit: June 19, 2013, 04:01:55 PM by luvrbus » Logged

technomadia

Zephyr - 1961 GM PD-4106-446

Ignore
« Reply #124 on: June 19, 2013, 04:08:56 PM »

Just for the helluva it escaping from the heat today...

There are better ways to escape the heat, ya know?? Like go north? Up a mountain? Cheesy

Oh goodness do I remember that heat two years ago when we found Zephyr in AZ and came up to visit you. Egads. That's just not human-like.

- Cherie

Cherie and Chris / www.technomadia.com
Full-time 'Technomads' since 2006 (technology enabled nomads)
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #125 on: June 19, 2013, 04:13:41 PM »

As soon as I get Doyles 8v71 rebuilt that very day we will be headed to Garden Valley Idaho  Cheesy

Don Fairchild

Ignore
« Reply #126 on: June 19, 2013, 05:06:01 PM »

Chris, I have been looking at youir vidio until it would not play anymore. I may be off base but before they do  anything else have the shop pull the injectors and look at them and see if the engine blew a couple of tips.

Will talk again tommorow.

Don
eagle19952

Ignore
« Reply #127 on: June 19, 2013, 07:13:10 PM »

Chris, I have been looking at youir vidio until it would not play anymore. I may be off base but before they do  anything else have the shop pull the injectors and look at them and see if the engine blew a couple of tips.
Will talk again tomorrow.
Don

Hopefully this is already known...by now.
Have any parts been removed...t-stats...valve covers....radiator cap... Grin

Donald PH
1978 Model 05 Eagle w/Torsilastic Suspension,8V71 NA, DDAllison on 24.5's 12kw Kubota.
Wants Paint Smiley
Previously owned by Wee Willie Ent.
technomadia

Zephyr - 1961 GM PD-4106-446

Ignore
« Reply #128 on: June 19, 2013, 07:17:36 PM »

Hopefully this is already known...by now.
Have any parts been removed...t-stats...valve covers....radiator cap... Grin

Actually.. the shop wasn't able to get us on their schedule for today after all. Which may turn out to be a blessing, as we're exploring an potential alternative option. Wink

Cherie and Chris / www.technomadia.com
Full-time 'Technomads' since 2006 (technology enabled nomads)
eagle19952

Ignore
« Reply #129 on: June 19, 2013, 08:04:10 PM »

oh ?....the plot thickens.... Smiley

Donald PH
1978 Model 05 Eagle w/Torsilastic Suspension,8V71 NA, DDAllison on 24.5's 12kw Kubota.
Wants Paint Smiley
Previously owned by Wee Willie Ent.
Utahclaimjumper

Ignore
« Reply #130 on: June 19, 2013, 08:16:53 PM »

As soon as I get Doyles 8v71 rebuilt that very day we will be headed to Garden Valley Idaho  Cheesy
[/ Sometime next year.>>>quote]

Utahclaimjumper 
 EX 4106 (presently SOB)
Cedar City, Ut.
 72 VW Baja towed
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #131 on: June 19, 2013, 08:23:53 PM »

How about later this week Dan we are still needing a few parts they were shipped wrong,we have everything back from Baker too he did a good job on the aluminum heads  Tongue plus my labor rate for my friends dictate my pace   
« Last Edit: June 19, 2013, 08:39:20 PM by luvrbus » Logged

sdc53

Ignore
« Reply #132 on: June 20, 2013, 03:06:00 AM »

I have an 8v71T in my 4107 and I like it.  The plumbing isn't messy, and seems like a factory setup, from what I don't know though, PO did it.  Don't forget you have to re-plumb your exhaust and intake (see pics to get an idea) and you need the turbo horn and bracket that goes on top of the blower.  I think it *will* fit in a 4106.

Happy to get out the tape measure for you and tell you how far it sticks up if you are considering the 8v71T option.  I think it's still underpowered in my 4107, but it should make your lightweight 4106 fly.  If you go down that road, make sure you have sourced all the parts first - my understanding from my mechanic is that some of the plumbing is hard to find.

Do you have jakes now?  If not, might be a nice addition while you are in there.

Ditto to what someone else said about getting the radiator serviced while it's drained anyways, especially if a turbo is in your future.  You might even need an upgrade in that area - I am wary of my temp gauge. Always looking at the damn thing, here's after a short maybe 2-3% hill climb (albeit at 60-65mph) on a sunny Oregon day:

I'm not ready to tackle a 6.5% grade at 90+ degrees OAT in this setup.  Not sure how many of us are, though - turbo or not.

Not meant to be a 6v92T vs 8v71T debate, either.  The '71 only has 16 more ci of displacement.  I've not driven a 6v92.  Either way, HEAT is always gonna be a concern. 

Hope you make it out to Oregon!  We will be on the coast the week of Independence day.

Scott
'69 4107
Gladstone, OR

Scott
Gladstone, OR
1969 PD4107
bevans6

1980 MCI MC-5C

Ignore
« Reply #133 on: June 20, 2013, 04:00:59 AM »

When I did my engine swap parts cleaning hours outnumbered actual mechanic work hours by two to one - or better!  And everybody likes to have someone else do the dishes...

Brian

1980 MCI MC-5C, 8V-71T from a M-110 self propelled howitzer
Spicer 8844 4 speed Zen meditation device
Vintage race cars -
1978 Lola T440 Formula Ford
1972 NTM MK-4 B/SR
Majikal-Joe

Ignore
« Reply #134 on: June 20, 2013, 04:39:28 AM »

When I did my engine swap parts cleaning hours outnumbered actual mechanic work hours by two to one - or better!  And everybody likes to have someone else do the dishes...

Brian

I agree with that every shop needs a go-for guy and most of the time you'll be right there or not too far away from the work. As for me I go for the rebuild with 42yrs in trucking and 10 yrs boating DD are by far the less expenses way to go if that is what you have for a setup...
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: