Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
November 25, 2014, 01:51:52 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It will not get torn up or crushed if you back over it with your bus.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: URGENT Technomadia - Overheated and stranded in SE Montana LOCKED DOWN 4 REVIEW!  (Read 23460 times)
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #135 on: June 20, 2013, 05:32:24 AM »

The turbo looks goods setting on the horn his did also the exhaust piping was a mess so was the intake yours is neater than his but you have the same problem if anything needs done on the top 
« Last Edit: June 20, 2013, 05:41:44 AM by luvrbus » Logged

Life is short drink the good wine first
Don Fairchild

Ignore
« Reply #136 on: June 20, 2013, 08:51:27 AM »

does anyone know where that type of turbo set up is, I would like to use it on Chris's engine if I rebuild it. It would save time and money.

Thanks

Don
technomadia

Zephyr - 1961 GM PD-4106-446

Ignore
« Reply #137 on: June 20, 2013, 09:00:50 AM »

does anyone know where that type of turbo set up is, I would like to use it on Chris's engine if I rebuild it. It would save time and money.

Thanks

Don

Now that it's revealed that we're seriously considering having Don work his magic on our engine...  anyone have hauling recommendations to get our bus from Billings to Bakersfield?  We have some quotes and calls in progress right now too, but always love to tap into wisdom and experience.

- Cherie

Cherie and Chris / www.technomadia.com
Full-time 'Technomads' since 2006 (technology enabled nomads)
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #138 on: June 20, 2013, 09:22:17 AM »

I have it Don off a 4905a call me I have the turbo also you will need new pipes I got pissed and sawsalled those I  have the manifolds also

eagle19952

Ignore
« Reply #139 on: June 20, 2013, 10:18:26 AM »

Now that it's revealed that we're seriously considering having Don work his magic on our engine... - Cherie

Just because I cannot help my nosy self....has iState confidently condemned your current dilemma....curious readers hafta know.. Roll Eyes

PS with the selection of door number 2....are the full Rosie's still an option ?..... Grin

PSS Regarding shipping:
https://www.snortnboartransport.com/

Snortn Boar Transport Announces Latest Additions Effective August, 2011 SBT is pleased to announce the following additions to our services. Snortn Boar Transport has listened to your great feedback, suggestions, and requests, and has spent the past year improving our operation to provide improved client services and respond to our expanding market base. These additions will allow us to better serve you and include: 1.Being fully compliant with all USDOT and Federal Motor Carrier Interstate Commerce Authority regulations and requirements. 2.Upgraded equipment: 1999 T-600 Kenworth 2007 48' Drop deck 2012 455-53' Landoll Tiltdeck a 2013 Fontaine triple axle RGN extendable. 3.The possibility always exists that we may use your shipment for a upcoming episode for Shipping Wars if that interests you! First and foremost is my commitment to our customers that you will receive professional and top notch service always!
« Last Edit: June 20, 2013, 10:32:20 AM by eagle19952 » Logged

Donald PH
1978 Model 05 Eagle w/Torsilastic Suspension,8V71 NA, DDAllison on 24.5's 12kw Kubota.
Wants Paint Smiley
Previously owned by Wee Willie Ent.
technomadia

Ignore
« Reply #140 on: June 20, 2013, 10:30:50 AM »

Just because I cannot help my nosy self....has iState confidently condemned your current dilemma....curious readers hafta know.. Roll Eyes

The folks at iState are great, and are being extremely helpful & supportive in all of this.. and fully know the options we are considering.  They however are used to working fairly by the book, and when we start thinking outside a straight up rebuild, they get a little ... umm..  whibbley.

Example.. they were thrown for a bit of a loop that our current block's model number is for a righty 8v71T, but setup as a lefty 8v71N. With some coaching from us, they were able to eventually start looking up parts. They have 4 competent 2-cycle guys here, but they're used to trucks and farm equipment, not necessarily vintage buses.  They haven't condemned our current dilemma, and we feel confident with their ability to rebuild the 8v71 back up for us..  but if we want anything other than that, their enthusiasm (and thus suitability for the job) starts to dwindle.

We have a strong preference for working with people who are enthused about our crazy projects and like to play.

- Cherie

eagle19952

Ignore
« Reply #141 on: June 20, 2013, 10:37:07 AM »

The folks at iState are great, we start thinking outside a straight up rebuild, they get a little ... umm..  whibbley.

but if we want anything other than that, their enthusiasm (and thus suitability for the job) starts to dwindle.

We have a strong preference for working with people who are enthused about our crazy projects and like to play.
 - Cherie

I suspected as much, see my edit to previous post... Grin
My only heartache stems from not at least looking at the injectors, t-stats and maybe the water pump...the coach CAN be loaded out to Bakersfield with those items in a box....

Donald PH
1978 Model 05 Eagle w/Torsilastic Suspension,8V71 NA, DDAllison on 24.5's 12kw Kubota.
Wants Paint Smiley
Previously owned by Wee Willie Ent.
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #142 on: June 20, 2013, 10:38:38 AM »

Pull the engine and cradle rent a u-haul truck drive the 1200 or so miles to his shop have him rebuild it pick it up in a couple of weeks drive the 1200 miles back install in a couple of days and be King of the Road sound easy huh

bobofthenorth

Ignore
« Reply #143 on: June 20, 2013, 10:47:44 AM »

I was about to suggest the U-Haul route but (as usual) the old guy was three jumps ahead of me.  Not sure what you have for a towed but perhaps a trailer rental would work - otherwise a cube van rental will be heaps cheaper than hauling the bus somewhere.  If Don is simply rebuilding your existing engine that should be relatively straightforward - if he's converting it to turbo that may introduce some complications when you go to stuffing it back into the bus.

There's a big rockpile between you and Bakersfield so I can't imagine that moving the bus there is going to be cheap.  There's some online freight discounters - freightquote.com is the one I'm familiar with but there are others.  If you're serious about moving it I'd get a listing up on a couple of those sites and see what comes your way.

R.J.(Bob) Evans
1981 Prevost 8-92, 10 spd
My website
Our weblog
Simply growing older is not the same as living.
John316

MCI 1995 DL3, DD S60, Allison B500.

Ignore
« Reply #144 on: June 20, 2013, 10:57:47 AM »

I am with Clifford and Bob. If it was me, and if I liked Istate, then have them pull the engine. Haul it to Don, then bring it back.

MCI 1995 DL3. DD S60 with a Allison B500.
technomadia

Ignore
« Reply #145 on: June 20, 2013, 11:00:19 AM »

Pull the engine and cradle rent a u-haul truck drive the 1200 or so miles to his shop have him rebuild it pick it up in a couple of weeks drive the 1200 miles back install in a couple of days and be King of the Road sound easy huh

That is an option we have on the contender's list.. however looking like the costs of this is on par with just shipping the bus down to Don, and doesn't give us the advantage of living onsite and working at more leisurely pace with him as we agilely come up with the right solution.  We also have a conference in Portland in early July, so it could make sense to get the bus in transit down south, we take the MINI Cooper over to Portland, and then road trip down south to join up.

We put auctions up on uShip yesterday, and have a couple quotes already in directly from companies our wrecker service referred us to.

We could have iState do more diagnostics.. but we fear the rabbithole that could turn into.. and it really doesn't change our outcome. But of course, if Don has information he needs before seeing things himself, we'll totally hire iState be his eyes and ears.  

- Cherie

azdieselman

Ignore
« Reply #146 on: June 20, 2013, 11:07:48 AM »

Has anyone actually found the problem with the engine?
It may well be cheaper to repair the engine and drive it to Dons.
It can't cost that much to pull the valve covers and airbox covers to have a look.
Even if it needed a headgasket, I think you'd still be money ahead.

1980 Mod 10
technomadia

Ignore
« Reply #147 on: June 20, 2013, 11:13:33 AM »

If Don is simply rebuilding your existing engine that should be relatively straightforward - if he's converting it to turbo that may introduce some complications when you go to stuffing it back into the bus.

Exactly.

We are moderately confidant that IState can do a good job with rebuilding the engine here to Detroit specs.

We aren't nearly as confident that they are up to stuffing a modified and upgraded engine that we bring to them back into the bus.  There are a lot of details and origami to work through for fitting the turbo that Don has done a dozen times before, and the guys up here will be figuring out from scratch.

That means it makes a lot of sense to get the bus to Don's - not just the engine.

- Chris

technomadia

Ignore
« Reply #148 on: June 20, 2013, 11:21:03 AM »

Has anyone actually found the problem with the engine?
It may well be cheaper to repair the engine and drive it to Dons.
It can't cost that much to pull the valve covers and airbox covers to have a look.
Even if it needed a headgasket, I think you'd still be money ahead.

Our thinking is that even the quickest and dirtiest possible repair up here will still be many thousands of dollars, likely lots more than it will cost to ship the bus to Don's.

And if we get a quick fix here - we still have some substantial mountains and terrain between here and there, and we'd be tempting fate risking another failure by setting off with a less than rebuilt engine. And if we don't go with the full rebuild, we won't even have a warranty to fall back on if something does go wrong.

And then once we are at Don's - we'll need to redo a bunch of the work.

We aren't in a rush - why not just get the bus there and do it right the first time?  No need to pay to do the same work and the same diagnostics twice.

- Chris

Dave5Cs

1979 MCI MC5Cs 6V-71 HT-740 Allison, Roseville, CA

Ignore
« Reply #149 on: June 20, 2013, 12:07:05 PM »

Huzar!!!!!! Remember to pickup the Tri Tip on the way to Don s. He loves Bar B Qued Tri tip.
Good luck on your new adventure down south.
Positive thoughts for you both.

Dave5Cs from Galaxy S III

My personal skills are fine.. itís my tolerance to idiots that needs work!....

http://s1264.photobucket.com/albums/jj493/fltmr2000/
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: