Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
September 22, 2014, 07:15:09 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: New ownership began September 1st 2012!  Please send any comments to info@busconversions.com
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 13   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: URGENT Technomadia - Overheated and stranded in SE Montana LOCKED DOWN 4 REVIEW!  (Read 21969 times)
RJ
Former Giant Greenbrier Owner

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2013, 11:21:14 PM »

Oh dear. . .   Cry

RJ Long
PD4106-2784 No More
Fresno CA
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2013, 06:09:21 AM »

They will be alright Andy found a shop for the repairs close and the guy works on buses a plus he has some used engines for parts in case they need a head

Life is short drink the good wine first
technomadia

Zephyr - 1961 GM PD-4106-446

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2013, 07:26:32 AM »

Good morning all - back in cell signal. If anyone has further throughs that could be of immediate help, let us know

Trying to decide between going into Billings or Andy's shop in Miles City where they may not have time to help us.

We have not yet been towed, and have a call with CoachNet in a bit to pick our path.

Cherie and Chris / www.technomadia.com
Full-time 'Technomads' since 2006 (technology enabled nomads)
technomadia

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2013, 07:44:31 AM »

So further replaying of the events last night - we might have a transmission problem. Our friend Sean told us the excess heat from the tranny exchanges into the engine, and could cause the overheating.

When going up the pass, Chris downshifted into 2nd, and I thought it sounded 'different'. More 'airy' than normal. When he crested the pass, he up shifted into 3rd and there was a bit of a lurch when he did. He now recalls noticing just a bit of heating (about 190 at this point)  The heating increased from there as we went down the hill.

Of course, Chris wouldn't listen to a girl about my concern of the tranny sounds. Smiley

Any thoughts if we might be on to something?

- Cherie

belfert

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2013, 07:48:08 AM »

I don't know what you have talked to Coachnet about as far as towing, but they generally only tow to the nearest qualified shop.  My understanding is they usually pick the shop.  I would think they would tow you to another shop if the distance was about the same.  If you want to go to a shop that is further they might charge you the extra distance.

I hope this doesn't get too expensive for you.

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
John316

MCI 1995 DL3, DD S60, Allison B500.

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2013, 07:51:31 AM »

Sorry to hear about your troubles. If Clifford says it doesn't sound good....well, I extend my condolences.

If it was me, I would head for the bigger city. However, that would be different if you had another shop with the parts you might need, elsewhere. Otherwise, bigger the city, the better for me, when I am broken down.

I really do hope you don't have a tranny problem. I am NO transmission expert, but it seems to me that something else would happen if the tranny took a dive. Ours wouldn't shift at all when we lost it. It did do a strange downshift, then it was goodbye tranny. It didn't cause us to overheat or anything.

Thanks for keeping us updated.

John

MCI 1995 DL3. DD S60 with a Allison B500.
Ace

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: June 15, 2013, 07:51:55 AM »

Now that the bus has had time to cool down, have you tried to start it and without putting it into any gear, tried revving it up and see if it accelerates? The low power problem could in fact be in the transmission making you think it is the motor! Try running it at idle and see if the temps go to normal without moving it! If the temps top out at normal than your motor may still be ok without major if any damage. If you try to move the bus, after normal temps and no leaks found, and you still feel a loss of power than I'd be looking at the trans. I take it its an automatic hence the funny sounds you heard. If it was a manual trans the funny sounds are usually from mis shifting and gears grinding.
From what I've read, sounds more like you lost a converter!

Ace Rossi
Lakeland, Fl. 33810
Prevost H3-40
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: June 15, 2013, 07:53:08 AM »

Unless Coachnet has changed with the new owners they would find a shop but it was up to you if you wanted to use the shop they will probably say Interstate Diesel $$$$$

belfert

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: June 15, 2013, 08:04:10 AM »

Of course you aren't obligated to use the shop Coachnet chooses.  Coachnet or the tow company could charge you for extra miles if the shop you want to use is significantly further.

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
Utahclaimjumper

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: June 15, 2013, 08:15:26 AM »

If 205 was the hottest it got,, then that's not particularly hot for the 8V71,, 230 is "snap crackel & pop" time. If the engine will run enough to get to operating temps, you could get better info on condition,,check trans oil, test for power and normal operation of engine and trans.>>>Dan ( If possible do all this before the tow)

Utahclaimjumper 
 EX 4106 (presently SOB)
Cedar City, Ut.
 72 VW Baja towed
technomadia

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: June 15, 2013, 08:21:12 AM »

The shop Coachnet tracked down is in Sheridan, WY. Our two options so far are closer - so they said they are good with that.

Looks like Ipower in Billings can take us and let us live in the bus, and toss us some power. And of course, Andy is nearby.

luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: June 15, 2013, 08:29:06 AM »

I don't know about that 230 figure Dan they will uselessly heat the check the block at around 220 no water in the head area and the chambers around 1200 degrees it was over 230 I would bet adding 12 gals of water there was nothing there for the gauge to read but I am hoping for the best for the 2 very nice people

Chris be sure to get the repair cost in writing from Interstate they will dig into the old pocket if not careful I sent Jim Shepard to Interstate in Sheridan they wanted 8 grand to remove and check (series 60) his head labor only so be careful you may end up with 20,000 plus 8V71 rebuild 

Clifford   
« Last Edit: June 15, 2013, 08:42:42 AM by luvrbus » Logged

technomadia

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: June 15, 2013, 08:53:45 AM »

One more thought - the coolant in the surge tank wasn't boiling hot, the boiling was down in the engine and it was pushing it out.

Might this not indicate that the coolant had stopped circulating - perhaps the water pump failed?

We are right now waiting to hear back from Coachnet - they are willing to tow us to Billings.  Hopefully I-State will be reasonable on the costs.

Thanks everyone for all the help.

The worst part about this situation is that we have no cell or internet where the bus is at.  :-(

- Chris

challenger440

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: June 15, 2013, 09:02:39 AM »

Well Sheridan in a nice little town and infact I've been broken down there.  Ford van.  People were extremely nice.  Took a week to put in the timing gear and there was only 2 rental cars in town.  Billings is much bigger and while big does not mean better, If I was stranded for a couple of weeks, I think I'd pick Billings.
J M

John M.
Helena, Mt
MC7  "under construction"
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: June 15, 2013, 09:10:39 AM »

One mistake that was made coasting and idling with the torus fan setup it was not spinning fast enough to cool if even it was spinning one never knows about that fan setup while great in theory it sucks in real time if not maintained a bad valve can cost you an engine, me I tie the lines together and let it spin all the time
« Last Edit: June 15, 2013, 09:30:51 AM by luvrbus » Logged

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 13   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: