Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
July 22, 2014, 12:28:28 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: You can zoom in to make the text larger and easier to read.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: URGENT Technomadia - Overheated and stranded in SE Montana LOCKED DOWN 4 REVIEW!  (Read 20452 times)
Len Silva

Angle Parked in a Parallel Universe

Ignore
« Reply #150 on: June 20, 2013, 12:18:09 PM »

I am really glad that you are posting this saga here, I am glad that you had the forethought and resources to deal with a problem like this.

I really hope that some of the dreamers read and understand what you are going through.

For many of us, myself included, your situation would have meant scrapping the bus in place and riding a different bus home.  I wish you well.

Hand Made Gifts

Ignorance is only bliss to the ignorant.
technomadia

Zephyr - 1961 GM PD-4106-446

Ignore
« Reply #151 on: June 20, 2013, 12:45:16 PM »

For many of us, myself included, your situation would have meant scrapping the bus in place and riding a different bus home.

Ah - but for us, the bus is home. And just like how every so often every house needs major maintenance (like a new roof!), we expected to eventually have to deal with something like this to keep our home in great shape.

The nice thing about our house is that the view changes. Sometimes that view isn't anything more exciting than a parking lot at a diesel shop. But hopefully sooner rather than later we'll be back to scenic vistas and awesome views.

- Chris

Cherie and Chris / www.technomadia.com
Full-time 'Technomads' since 2006 (technology enabled nomads)
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #152 on: June 20, 2013, 01:02:24 PM »

Since your 8V-71 is already a turbo engine, for me it is a no brainer to overhaul your engine and reinstall it. Then later you can turbo it. Yes it is a tight fit, but will ultimately be the cheapest way to go. Completely changing the engine to a 6V-92 will have issues that you can't forsee.
I can tell you from experience that turboing an 8V-71 (I also have an air to air intercooler) REALLY wakes them up and makes driving a total joy. Driving from L.A. to Las Vegas-when pulling my car, went from having to down shift on several up grades to not down shifting except for Cajon Pass and Baker hill-both of which I pull 15mph faster. The 71 series is a more forgiving engine-it is more tolerant to overheating, overspeeding and with the dry cylinder liners, don't have to worry about coolant in the oil if the liner seals start to leak-like on the 92 series. Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
technomadia

Ignore
« Reply #153 on: June 20, 2013, 01:12:18 PM »

Since your 8V-71 is already a turbo engine, for me it is a no brainer to overhaul your engine and reinstall it. Then later you can turbo it. Yes it is a tight fit, but will ultimately be the cheapest way to go.

Don has confirmed that since the pistons and liners are different - it doesn't make sense to overhaul it here as an 8V71N and then later turbo it - the work should all be done at once.

I can tell you from experience that turboing an 8V-71 (I also have an air to air intercooler) REALLY wakes them up and makes driving a total joy. Driving from L.A. to Las Vegas-when pulling my car, went from having to down shift on several up grades to not down shifting except for Cajon Pass and Baker hill-both of which I pull 15mph faster. The 71 series is a more forgiving engine-it is more tolerant to overheating, overspeeding and with the dry cylinder liners, don't have to worry about coolant in the oil if the liner seals start to leak-like on the 92 series.

Great thoughts Tom.  We are open to either an 8V71T or 6V92TA, and a lot will come down to what Don ultimately recommends.

BTW - unlike some bus nuts, we aren't primarily looking for a "hot rod" driving experience.  Cruising at 55mph in the slow lane is plenty fine for us.

Here are our ultimate goals in our engine overhaul:

1) Reliable & Rock Solid. The bus is our home, and we want to trust it to get us where we are going with minimal fuss. We aren't going to demand tons of miles from her - roughly 10k year, but in use in potentially all four seasons of climate and in all corners of the country.

2) Suitable for travel at higher elevations, and on steep backroads and camp roads.

3) As fuel efficient as possible. (This is more important than speed...)

4) Good hill climbing abilities - even on hot days. We don't mind being passed, but do not want to end up a traffic obstacle stuck at 15mph.

5) Great hill descending capabilities without riding the brakes. Jakes are a must.

6) Top speed is not a concern - we cruise at 55-65mph or else the girl eeps too much.

7) We don't need to do everything on the cheap, but we don't have anything close to a blank check either.

Cool Acceleration for merging is nice to have, but we are rarely into passing. We don't need a "hot rod" - especially if it comes with a hot engine.

9) Geek points are nice if a DDEC gives us things like cruise control, more instrumentation, and especially more engine safety systems.  But we have plenty of geek points already so we can give these up if it costs too much.

10) Reliable and rock solid.  Again the most important goal.

- Chris

sdc53

Ignore
« Reply #154 on: June 20, 2013, 01:26:51 PM »

Clifford I have quick-release clamps on those exhaust pieces, my mechanic had that whole enchilada off there in about 10 mins.
Note my exhaust stack goes out the roof (unmuffled) loud as hell, I wouldn't do it that way if you can run it down and keep the muffler.

Here is the part number for that horn, I know you have one, is this the same setup used on lots of them or is this unique? 

No more sawzalling unobtainium muffler parts!  I had to have a crappy muffler shop weld mine at 5:00 on a friday heading out on a road trip and I considered myself lucky to get a replacement pipe for $150.

Scott
Gladstone, OR
1969 PD4107
NoRivets

Ignore
« Reply #155 on: June 20, 2013, 01:31:43 PM »

Our hearts go out to you both on this journey!

I may have missed this so I'll ask -  

Do you have a coolant sensor?  If not, do you think it would have been helpful?

Some problems are just not avoided no matter how many sensors there are. Shocked

Love this thread and I hope things turn out great for you Smiley You're getting the best help available !

AZ
1980- RTS - 8v71N w/N-65 A-timed/ 4:10 gears
towing a Jeep Wrangler.  99.9% completed (15th Yr)
Majikal-Joe

Ignore
« Reply #156 on: June 20, 2013, 01:39:47 PM »

This is a great read glad ur posting it online and almost by the hr for us nonworking types that spent the summers at the campground hot-tub. I agree with the u-haul but you need your home too and I know how that feels. But be careful about those U-Ship ppl u might even see me on there...JFI Truck Leasing good luck with the move and I will be following you guy's and remember you still have a 30amp plug here in South Jersey till we sell!!!!
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #157 on: June 20, 2013, 01:45:10 PM »

His turbo ran through the original muffler and out the drivers side on his 4905A fwiw piping was a nightmare to remove I can see where going through the roof would free up space and make the piping a snap the problem is most people would not let a shop do it that way
« Last Edit: June 20, 2013, 02:12:49 PM by luvrbus » Logged

Live each day like it was your last,one day it will be
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #158 on: June 20, 2013, 02:03:06 PM »

This thread is ok but without a little hands on diagnostic without the infra/red lol these 2 don't know if they even need a engine or not right now it is just a guessing game on a bulletin board IMO

Black smoke now they didn't have before like Don I would go injector hunting pull those suckers check the tips and do a pop test while they out run a compression test

good luck  
« Last Edit: June 20, 2013, 02:19:35 PM by luvrbus » Logged

usbusin

'60 PD4104-4355(sold) Now Freightliner Conversion

Ignore
« Reply #159 on: June 20, 2013, 03:13:56 PM »

I am with you, Clifford.  I would want to know what caused the problem.  It may be something simple or it may be major, but I'd want to know before making a decision.  How many hours are involved in pulling injectors, doing a pop test and running a compression test?

Chris, maybe you (or the shop/mechanics) know what caused the problem and haven't posted what it was. 

Just my 2+ cents.

Gary D

USBUSIN was our 1960 PD4104 for 16 years Ustruckin' is our 2001 Freightliner truck conversion
technomadia

Ignore
« Reply #160 on: June 20, 2013, 03:25:24 PM »

I am with you, Clifford.  I would want to know what caused the problem.  It may be something simple or it may be major, but I'd want to know before making a decision.  How many hours are involved in pulling injectors, doing a pop test and running a compression test?

Chris, maybe you (or the shop/mechanics) know what caused the problem and haven't posted what it was.  

Just my 2+ cents.

Given the symptoms, and running them by dozens of diesel mechanics & gurus across the lands - while the cause may have been minor, the damage done is highly likely to be fairly extensive, and will require a pretty major overhaul anyway.

Since we are planning to replace/overhaul everything that *could* have caused the problem when we overhaul - we don't find it overly useful to spend several hours on pre-diagnostics when it will be revealed when we get into the overhaul.

We know many folks here would love to know what happened, particularly those wanting the knowledge to prevent it from happening to them.  If you'd like to send us a few hundred dollars to pay for pre-diagnostics, I can send you our paypal address Smiley  Otherwise, we feel the odds of it being a simple/cheap fix is low enough that's not worth investing those dollars upfront.  We'll share what we find as we find out ourselves.

- Cherie

« Last Edit: June 20, 2013, 03:45:34 PM by technomadia » Logged

technomadia

Ignore
« Reply #161 on: June 20, 2013, 03:49:52 PM »

To reiterate - as much as we all are eager to figure out exactly what happened - this is what we are hearing:

Don in CA - If you are going to get the bus here, don't bother doing anything else up there, you are just wasting money having them take things apart.

Interstate PowerSystems in MT - We need to take the engine out to do even a minimal rebuild, doing more work now to troubleshoot will just be wasted. Everything will be clear once we get started and get inside the engine.

Others keep telling us the same - we need to take the engine out and partway apart regardless whether we are in rebuilding or troubleshooting mode. So to avoid paying for wasted effort - first we need to figure out where we want to get the work done, and what the end goal is.

Don't worry - once we are inside the engine (wherever we are) - we'll share all the details of what we find.

- Chris

luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #162 on: June 20, 2013, 04:07:24 PM »

We all look at the same world through different colored glasses Cry  I love the I State  quote "Everything will be clear once we get started and inside the engine" as MasterCard would say priceless   
« Last Edit: June 20, 2013, 04:20:08 PM by luvrbus » Logged

bobofthenorth

Ignore
« Reply #163 on: June 20, 2013, 04:17:02 PM »

My hat's off to you Chris (and Cherie) for letting it all hang out here.  Personally I can't (and didn't) do that precisely because I have no patience with the 2nd guessing and ankle-biting that inevitably results.  You are on the ground with access to all the information and therefore in the best place to make the decisions.  You are helping many people learn about the process by your posts here but personally I couldn't be bothered.  So like I said - my hat's off to you for your patience.

R.J.(Bob) Evans
1981 Prevost 8-92, 10 spd
My website
Our weblog
Simply growing older is not the same as living.
technomadia

Ignore
« Reply #164 on: June 20, 2013, 04:19:35 PM »

So like I said - my hat's off to you for your patience.

Doing our best Smiley  It's mighty difficult sometimes, I have to admit.

But considering we're all alone up here with no one really to turn to in person for advice, we're very thankful for the variety of opinions to help us think things through. Especially the folks who have taken the time to call and talk things over with us. The occasional virtual ankle biting just seems to come with the territory.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2013, 04:22:19 PM by technomadia » Logged

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: