Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
July 25, 2014, 08:02:00 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: It will not get torn up or crushed if you back over it with your bus.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: URGENT Technomadia - Overheated and stranded in SE Montana LOCKED DOWN 4 REVIEW!  (Read 20528 times)
TexasBorderDude
Founder - Texas Curmudgeon Society

Nothing simple is ever easy...

Ignore
« Reply #165 on: June 20, 2013, 04:32:39 PM »

Since we are planning to replace/overhaul everything that *could* have caused the problem when we overhaul - we don't find it overly useful to spend several hours on pre-diagnostics when it will be revealed when we get into the overhaul.

We all just hate the labor pains, just want to see a baby!

A curmudgeon's reputation for malevolence is undeserved. They're neither warped nor evil at heart. They don't hate mankind, just mankind's absurdities. They're just as sensitive and soft-hearted as the next guy, but they hide their vulnerability beneath a crust of misanthropy.
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #166 on: June 20, 2013, 04:38:45 PM »

Call it ankle biting or whatever I don't care but a week later you are still in the same position when someone does make a decision you are still going to be 2 or 3 weeks without your home on wheels if you are lucky and again Montana has some nice scenery  

Live each day like it was your last,one day it will be
technomadia

Zephyr - 1961 GM PD-4106-446

Ignore
« Reply #167 on: June 20, 2013, 04:52:01 PM »

Call it ankle biting or whatever I don't care but a week later you are still in the same position when someone does make a decision you are still going to be 2 or 3 weeks without your home on wheels if you are lucky and again Montana has some nice scenery  

We'd rather take the time to learn all we can, consider all the options and make the right choice... for us... than jump into a decision too hastily.

We're not without our home on wheels.. we're sitting in it as we type, and all options allow us to continue living in it while the work is done.

- Cherie

Cherie and Chris / www.technomadia.com
Full-time 'Technomads' since 2006 (technology enabled nomads)
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #168 on: June 20, 2013, 05:00:40 PM »

oops forgot that the problem is it won't move without a little tlc

Geoff

Ignore
« Reply #169 on: June 20, 2013, 05:09:08 PM »

All I can do is shake my head-- I can't even get through the 12 pages of advice on this thread.

I'll be in Billings, MT in August.  Pay for my fuel and I'll bring my service truck.

I have no confidence in the shop you have your bus in.

--Geoff

Geoff
'82 RTS AZ
Dave5Cs

1979 MCI MC5Cs 6V-71 HT-740 Allison, Roseville, CA

Ignore
« Reply #170 on: June 20, 2013, 06:00:52 PM »

Now Clifford!.... stop it, Grin Wink

Dave5Cs

luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #171 on: June 20, 2013, 06:08:47 PM »

:)yea I do get a little harsh sometimes Dave when nothing makes sense to me but I do wish them the best

Dave5Cs

1979 MCI MC5Cs 6V-71 HT-740 Allison, Roseville, CA

Ignore
« Reply #172 on: June 20, 2013, 06:34:08 PM »

Your just upset you can't be there doing it uh? Shocked

Dave5Cs

baker4106

Ignore
« Reply #173 on: June 20, 2013, 07:21:56 PM »

Sorry I hadn't read your post before.   A fellow busnut told me about it.   I own a 1961 4106 and 6 years ago my engine did about the same thing.   It overheated and would not cool down while it was running.   What happened was the head cracked and allowed exhaust gases into the water jacket forcing the coolant out until the water pump became airlocked and couldn't move coolant until the engine was shut down.   Ended up with both heads cracked and other problems so we replaced with a used 8V71 that a friend had.   Ended up ok but costly as we live in Michigan and it died in Cincinnati, Ohio.
technomadia

Zephyr - 1961 GM PD-4106-446

Ignore
« Reply #174 on: June 20, 2013, 08:27:24 PM »

I have no confidence in the shop you have your bus in.

We had a temporary drop in confidence when the serial number / model number mismatch had them confused for a bit. But though their part guy was completely lost, the mechanics weren't and they do have several genuine two-stroke guys on staff who have seen plenty of engines like ours.

Overall we are (so far) impressed with this shop.  Despite being a big shop with 14 bays (and a relatively pricey shop rate), they haven't pressured us or rushed us at all. They are happy to let us live in the bus while we are here, even while they are working. They are willing to let us watch and learn and be involved as we dive deeper into the engine. They have encouraged us to do our research, and to consult outside sources and other options. They are actively interested in hearing about alternative ideas that we have come up with. And they are even open to helping us relocate elsewhere if we decide that is best.

All these things inspire confidence. And we've heard from several bus nuts who have had good (though perhaps not cheap) experiences at this shop too, and no one with a bad first hand experience yet.

So...  What reason is there to lack confidence?

That they haven't gone any further doing diagnostics is at our request - based on the advice we've gotten from the shop here, and from many others we have consulted with.  We aren't in a rush.  We aren't far from home - we are home.  We have electricity and internet and shops and restaurants and even hiking trails nearby.

We are very happy to take some time to weigh our options before racking up shop hours.

It is the smart thing to do.

And that the shop hasn't been pressuring us at all to start giving them more billable work is the most confidence inspiring thing.

- Chris

Cherie and Chris / www.technomadia.com
Full-time 'Technomads' since 2006 (technology enabled nomads)
NonHippieBus

Ignore
« Reply #175 on: June 20, 2013, 11:05:54 PM »

I'm personally hoping you'll end up with a 8v71 or 8v71T from Don so I can grab the popcorn and watch the progress in real time on the inter web and you pre-navigate the upgrade I'd love to do to our 4106.

6v92 repower will also be entertaining and definitely has its merits if you choose that course.  Don definitely has the skills to lead to a happy ending with this one.  Seems like a great choice.
chessie4905

Ignore
« Reply #176 on: June 21, 2013, 04:49:45 AM »

Will the 6V-92 tolerate the 2300 rpm speed all day long term that the 8v-71 is supposed to? It has been mentioned here that the 8v-92 won't.  I only ask this because of limited gearing options of the GM models.

GMC h8h 649#028
Pennsylvania-central
NoRivets

Ignore
« Reply #177 on: June 21, 2013, 06:42:08 AM »

Wish you the best, but I'm DONE with this soap. Good Luck -

Not knowing what happened in the engine doesn't play in my brain too well. Can't read anymore --  too frustrating !  Saying what others are thinking !

AZ
1980- RTS - 8v71N w/N-65 A-timed/ 4:10 gears
towing a Jeep Wrangler.  99.9% completed (15th Yr)
pete36330

my mc9 ,,gonna finish it one day ,,

Ignore
« Reply #178 on: June 21, 2013, 07:21:50 AM »

SOOOOO,are we still at 14.500 dollars for a water pump and stuck thermostat? or??? like I said earlier Good luck ,,you will surely need it.
Now how about the trans?? and then?? what else are you gonna throw more money at ,,lot of people are going to have a super vacation on your money,,and by the way I wish you no ill will,,,just feel sorry for your plight and especially the way your handling all this
TexasBorderDude
Founder - Texas Curmudgeon Society

Nothing simple is ever easy...

Ignore
« Reply #179 on: June 21, 2013, 07:37:07 AM »

See that 4106 over there?  Yeah, I'm pretty proud of it... it's worth $7,000

I've got $40,000 in it Roll Eyes

A curmudgeon's reputation for malevolence is undeserved. They're neither warped nor evil at heart. They don't hate mankind, just mankind's absurdities. They're just as sensitive and soft-hearted as the next guy, but they hide their vulnerability beneath a crust of misanthropy.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: