Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
November 28, 2014, 10:12:50 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: You can zoom in to make the text larger and easier to read.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 [13]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: URGENT Technomadia - Overheated and stranded in SE Montana LOCKED DOWN 4 REVIEW!  (Read 23553 times)
technomadia

Zephyr - 1961 GM PD-4106-446

Ignore
« Reply #180 on: June 21, 2013, 07:54:41 AM »

Look folks..  we fully know that many of you would handle this very differently. Fully diagnose first, then just fix the things that are broken.

And that make perfect sense and is very logical - IF the goal is to get back on the road as quickly and inexpensively as possible.

Many of you have homes elsewhere to maintain, and your bus is a toy, hobby or vacation vehicle. You have jobs to get back to, grandkids to spoil, vacation destinations to get to or other projects awaiting your attention. You probably even have a garage 'back home' and bus friends where you can handle further repairs when you get there - at your own pace and expense.

That's not our situation.  This is our home, and we need to be able to rely on her. When we bought our bus two years ago, her history was a mystery.  We knew, and planned for, a major engine overhaul or re-powering. Every person we have presented the symptoms to agrees that regardless of the specifics of the initial cause, there is substantial damage here. Many have called us and talked in person, and after walking through it all - the consensus is - spending money on diagnosing upfront really doesn't buy us all that much, when our plan to rebuild/re-power will reveal and correct the causes anyway.

We are very consciously using this opportunity to get the engine into a reliable and trustable state..  for our peace of mind. Regardless if we could get by for a few grand in repairs, that's NOT what we want. That's not our goal.  Our goal isn't to patch and potentially limp further down the road to the next breakdown - it's to leave whatever shop we go to with a reliable and known state of our engine. It's time to do what we always planned to do anyway - get inside, and get everything as refreshed as possible.

And hey, that may not be the choice you'd make. And that's cool. We're not going to sit here and cackle you for making different choices than us.

The negativity coming from a small number of armchair mechanics who are not in our exact situation is very disheartening.

Cherie and Chris / www.technomadia.com
Full-time 'Technomads' since 2006 (technology enabled nomads)
Len Silva

Angle Parked in a Parallel Universe

Ignore
« Reply #181 on: June 21, 2013, 08:20:21 AM »

I think that you guys are exceptionally knowledgeable and prepared to deal with your situation in your own way.  I would give the benefit of the doubt to the naysayers because I think their heart is in the right place and they only want to help.

If you do end up with $40,000 in a $7,000 bus, so what?  There is not a better built bus anywhere than the 4106 at any price.  Just be glad you are not into boats.

Good luck, don't let the ********* get you down, we are all pulling for you in whatever direction you are headed.

Moderator edited for content: Keep it clean, no personal attacks please.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2013, 10:11:45 AM by Dreamscape » Logged

Hand Made Gifts

Ignorance is only bliss to the ignorant.
TexasBorderDude
Founder - Texas Curmudgeon Society

Nothing simple is ever easy...

Ignore
« Reply #182 on: June 21, 2013, 08:34:20 AM »

... the naysayers ... the *******

Given the choice above, count me among the naysayers! Grin Grin
« Last Edit: June 21, 2013, 10:07:04 AM by Dreamscape » Logged

A curmudgeon's reputation for malevolence is undeserved. They're neither warped nor evil at heart. They don't hate mankind, just mankind's absurdities. They're just as sensitive and soft-hearted as the next guy, but they hide their vulnerability beneath a crust of misanthropy.
eagle19952

Ignore
« Reply #183 on: June 21, 2013, 08:40:51 AM »

the consensus is - spending money on diagnosing upfront really doesn't buy us all that much, when our plan to rebuild/re-power will reveal and correct the causes anyway.

not knowing would kill me...but I am confident that you know the coach will not confidently get you to Bakersfield...or Timbucktoo in its current state, new t stats will not heal it.  Sad

We are very consciously using this opportunity to get the engine into a reliable and trustable state..  for our peace of mind.<snipped> Our goal isn't to patch and potentially limp further down the road to the next breakdown - it's to leave whatever shop we go to with a reliable and known state of our engine. It's time to do what we always planned to do anyway - get inside, and get everything as refreshed as possible.

Bet others (naysayers too) would do it your way if they were prepared to do so.... Grin

The negativity coming from a small number of armchair mechanics who are not in our exact situation is very disheartening.  Huh

ps I am easily revived.    Grin

« Last Edit: June 21, 2013, 08:43:29 AM by eagle19952 » Logged

Donald PH
1978 Model 05 Eagle w/Torsilastic Suspension,8V71 NA, DDAllison on 24.5's 12kw Kubota.
Wants Paint Smiley
Previously owned by Wee Willie Ent.
Utahclaimjumper

Ignore
« Reply #184 on: June 21, 2013, 09:14:04 AM »

See that 4106 over there?  Yeah, I'm pretty proud of it... it's worth $7,000

I've got $40,000 in it Roll Eyes
[/quote]  

THIS COMING FROM A --------------------------------------------------------------------------------,      HAVING  HIS ENGINE REBUILT,,,"ON THE MOOCH"

Moderator Edit -  Let's be nice.  No personal insults please.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2013, 09:52:12 AM by HighTechRedneck » Logged

Utahclaimjumper 
 EX 4106 (presently SOB)
Cedar City, Ut.
 72 VW Baja towed
TexasBorderDude
Founder - Texas Curmudgeon Society

Nothing simple is ever easy...

Ignore
« Reply #185 on: June 21, 2013, 09:29:56 AM »

Wow!  This is really gotten personal!   naysayer, *******, mooch..... just don't call me a banker! Grin Grin Grin Grin
« Last Edit: June 21, 2013, 10:09:02 AM by Dreamscape » Logged

A curmudgeon's reputation for malevolence is undeserved. They're neither warped nor evil at heart. They don't hate mankind, just mankind's absurdities. They're just as sensitive and soft-hearted as the next guy, but they hide their vulnerability beneath a crust of misanthropy.
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #186 on: June 21, 2013, 09:31:08 AM »

Leave it to Len and Dan to start the name calling Huh who says even when they spend tons of money on their home as it is called it won't happen again it does happen because it is a diesel engine you see new Detroit in shops some have less than a 1000 miles and are blown I have saw lot's of rebuilt 71 series in GM's that blew with only 20,000 miles on a major rebuild

Anyway this has been explained makes no sense whatever to me so what if they get a 1 year warranty what is that for the 2 involved maybe 15,000 miles who knows you can repair one with minor damage with out a major overhaul too little of info is offered on this deal unless it all done on the phone if this is the case keep it on the phone and off the board, as one of the naysayers Len I do know who my parents are.

Time for the mods to step in on this piece of $#!% thread it has turn into a bad written soap IMO

Life is short drink the good wine first
Nick Badame Refrig/ACC
1989, MCI 102C3, 8V92T, HT740, 06' conversion FMCA# F-27317-S "Wife- 1969 Italian/German Style"
Global Moderator

Nick & Michelle Badame

« Reply #187 on: June 21, 2013, 09:37:33 AM »

Hi Folks,

This post has been reported to me for review.

It will now be locked down till further notice.

Nick-

Whatever it takes!-GITIT DONE! 
Commercial Refrigeration- Ice machines- Heating & Air/ Atlantic Custom Coach Inc.
Master Mason- Cannon Lodge #104
https://www.facebook.com/atlanticcustomcoach
www.atlanticcustomcoach.com
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 [13]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: