Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
December 22, 2014, 05:26:14 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: You can zoom in to make the text larger and easier to read.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 13   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: URGENT Technomadia - Overheated and stranded in SE Montana LOCKED DOWN 4 REVIEW!  (Read 24179 times)
eagle19952

Ignore
« Reply #60 on: June 17, 2013, 07:08:10 PM »

Although I don't believe this is your problem, one stuck injector in a no fuel position can cause a serious lack of power....
and easily a 100 degree differential...
PS I WISH YOU WELL  Smiley

Donald PH
1978 Model 05 Eagle w/Torsilastic Suspension,8V71 NA, DDAllison on 24.5's 12kw Kubota.
Wants Paint Smiley
Previously owned by Wee Willie Ent.
technomadia

Zephyr - 1961 GM PD-4106-446

Ignore
« Reply #61 on: June 17, 2013, 07:10:09 PM »

If you decide to go with a reman engine I highly recommend Diesel Exchange.  They have a great reputation.  www.dieselexchange.com  Wouldn't hurt to get a quote.

Thanks for the lead - I just dropped them an email.

The one remanufacturer that I spoke with earlier that Clifford is alluding to is American Fleet, Inc - which is also coincidentally located in Springfield, MO. Interesting that Steve Hendrick is listed as the president of Diesel Exchange, and Bob Hendrick is who I spoke to today at American Fleet.

Is there a family connection between these two companies?

Anyway - American Fleet has an 8V71 available to ship within a few days for $14,500, including shipping costs and a one year parts, labor, and towing warranty.

Diesel Exchange does not have an 8V71 listed on their page of "In Stock Engines" at the moment, but I'll learn more when I talk with them tomorrow.

Has anyone else hear had any experience with American Fleet? Clifford was very down on them, but Don Bowen from Choo Choo Express is the one who referred me to them and he had great things to say. It is tough for us novices to know who to believe when bus gods disagree.

Are there any other reputable remanufacturers I should call tomorrow for a quote?

Anyway...  Just gathering up options...

Cheers,

- Chris

Cherie and Chris / www.technomadia.com
Full-time 'Technomads' since 2006 (technology enabled nomads)
oldmansax
Tom & Phyllis

'82 Bluebird Wanderlodge PT40

Ignore
« Reply #62 on: June 18, 2013, 05:19:11 AM »

Cherie and Chris,

I am so sorry about your situation and feel your pain, having had engine failure in unfamiliar territory when I was in the freight business. Here are a few things I used to look at when in your situation:

How long are you going to keep this piece of equipment? In your case, you are both young, so you won't be retiring anytime soon. Is the bus you have now your "keeper" for the immediate future? It's big enough, it has what you need, and the rest of the systems are in good shape? You like it? If not, patch your engine up with chewing gum, bailing twine, and Marine-Tex, and start huntin' you another bus because there is no way in today's market you are going to get your rebuild money back when you sell your existing bus. If you're going to keep this one, go to the next step.

How much money CAN you spend? Sure, you'd like to install a brand new 4 stroke S-60 double turboed V12 Mega setup by Don Fairchild that gets 37MPG@ 70MPH but that costs $2 gazillion & you only HAVE $1 gazillion. Once you have a firm budget, you can determine that the V12 Mega is beyond what you can spend & you'll have to settle for a V6 Mega.... or a rebuilt 8V-71.

What upgrades can you get within your budget? I always hated to spend money on rebuilding/replacing anything without getting at least some improvement. If you just rebuild what you have now, all you have is a rebuilt OLD one...... kinda like me and Clifford.  Grin Grin. ( I think I've been rebuilt more than him but he had better body work done. LOL!) I don't know what can be done on your 4106 'cause I never fooled around much with GMs but can your 8-71 be turboed? That would be a BIG improvement, especially out west. Can you swing a 6V92? Even little things can help; replace the hoses? Fuel lines? Any wiring need to be done? Re-insulate the engine compartment?  Others may post additional ideas for upgrades.

You don't need to answer any of these questions on the board because the answers are none of our business but you need to answer them for yourself.
Again, Phyllis & I are so sorry for you guys.

I can't think of anything we can help you with (no, I'm not sending money! LOL!) but feel free to call anytime if there is. My number is still the same. We are in a terrible cell area right now so leave a message & it will page me.

Best Regards,

Tom & Phyllis

'82 BlueBird WanderLodge PT40 being rebuilt
Delaware

DON'T STEAL! The government hates competition!
rusty

Ignore
« Reply #63 on: June 18, 2013, 05:42:21 AM »

We took a tour of Diesel Exchange last year and was very impressed with the process they go thru to rebuild an engine. They take great pride in building engines. If i needed an engine they would be at the top of my list.

Wayne
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #64 on: June 18, 2013, 05:59:57 AM »

Whats wrong with pricing a Reliabilt from the dealer sometimes those are new engines with a rebuild tag 

Fwiw I have a Fleet 8v71 from a GM the crank is 0.20 on the mains and 0.30 on the rods and it didn't last,  I would not buy a engine with a ground crank ,If Don says they are ok buy it makes no difference to me

Life is short drink the good wine first
technomadia

Ignore
« Reply #65 on: June 18, 2013, 07:43:14 AM »

We're exploring as many options as possible luvrbus... so nothing wrong at all with that option. 

It's always a balance of time vs. cost.  We'd ideally like to get back out on the road sometime in the forseeable future, and will need to make a decision in the next few hours as to which direction we're chasing down.   We're good with the costs of this, just a matter of making the best choice we can about how that money gets spent to give us the most reliable setup we can muster out of this, while still getting us back on the road in a time frame measured in weeks, not months.

- Cherie

Cary and Don

Ignore
« Reply #66 on: June 18, 2013, 08:36:55 AM »

On the upgrade question.  If you are buying a replacement engine, have to agree, now is the time to do it, even if it means a little more time.  We have the GM with the 6V92T and an Eagle with the 8V71.  Both engines are young.  And yes the Eagle is heavier.  However,  the difference is night and day.  The Eagle is getting a transplant as soon as the money is available.  Thank goodness, we have an 8V92T in the Neoplan that will become the new engine. 

Don and Cary

1973 05 Eagle
Neoplan AN340
jmblake
Jason & Martha Blake

Ignore
« Reply #67 on: June 18, 2013, 08:46:22 AM »

Sorry about your problems, and that is one of my biggest fears, I don't have much help to offer you since we are on the eastern side but the engine I just pulled from my bus was from Diesel exchange and I had no problems with it other than the power 8v71. It had 80,000 mile when I pulled it and used very little oil and didn't even leak, The guy I sold it to put it in a tour bus in NJ so as far as I know it is out running every day. So if I was in your situation I would buy another engine from them.
Good Luck Jason

Boomer

Ignore
« Reply #68 on: June 18, 2013, 09:18:46 AM »

Another remanufacturer is Perkins Pacific in Ridgefield, WA.  They are a division (a very large one) of Pacific Power the Detroit MTU distributor.  They are a program DDC, Allison, Perkins remanufacturer.  My contact there is Dave Mueller.  Keep in mind that whomever you choose it is highly doubtful that anyone will have a left hand GM configured unit in stock, it will have to be reconfigured, but I am sure you already know that.

'81 Eagle 15/45
'47 GM PD3751-438
'65 Crown Atomic
Vancouver, WA USA
technomadia

Ignore
« Reply #69 on: June 18, 2013, 09:25:42 AM »

Keep in mind that whomever you choose it is highly doubtful that anyone will have a left hand GM configured unit in stock, it will have to be reconfigured, but I am sure you already know that.

I am very curious about what it takes to "reconfigure" an 8V71 for left-hand use.  If we buy a generic remanufactured 8V71, is this something that can be done during installation?

While I am tracking down 8V71 options - what is it I need to look for to make sure I find something that will be compatible with our bus?

Thanks!

- Chris

Don Fairchild

Ignore
« Reply #70 on: June 18, 2013, 09:40:06 AM »

Chris, Call pc industries at 877-885-4724 they are just down the road from you in WY. If you find a standard right hand engine you need to change the camshafts fuel pump and oil cooler along with all of the cooling set up i.e. thermostats and housing water cross over,  flywheel housing, oil pan and sub pan, oil pick up tube, and a few other things. I know where there are several 6V62TA bus engines on the cradle radiator to out put flange, Atec V730 from rts buses, they are DDECII so they would be easy to change over for your GMC.

Don
technomadia

Ignore
« Reply #71 on: June 18, 2013, 09:46:51 AM »

Thanks for the lead Don, I am calling them now.

What is involved in taking a DDECII electrical engine and putting it into a decidedly low-tech 1961 GM chassis? Can a DDEC engine work without its smarts?

We've heard some people swear by upgrading to a 6V92TA, and others swear that it isn't worth the likely overheating hassles that will result.  And it certainly will be a more complicated install than just swapping in an 8V71 - probably requiring a new radiator and more too, right?

You are considered the ultimate authority on engine performance - what are your thoughts on the tradeoffs?

Thanks!

- Chris

Don Fairchild

Ignore
« Reply #72 on: June 18, 2013, 09:47:39 AM »

You really need to know what is wrong with your engine, they need to do a little more trouble shooting to determine what went wrong. Clifford has given you some good advise along with a few others. You may only have one bad hole, if it stuck one kit then you can get buy with lifting the head and replacing only that hole or do all of them on that side or spend the money to pull it out and rebuild the entire engine. when you have all the info you need then you can make a better decision.

Don
technomadia

Ignore
« Reply #73 on: June 18, 2013, 10:00:08 AM »

You may only have one bad hole, if it stuck one kit then you can get buy with lifting the head and replacing only that hole or do all of them on that side or spend the money to pull it out and rebuild the entire engine. when you have all the info you need then you can make a better decision.

We've gotten advice from several people that if you are paying the labor to do a single hole, you might as well do all 8 since even if only one failed the others will likely not be far behind.

We aren't so much interested in the simplest and cheapest option to get out of here - but in doing what is necessary to get our engine tuned and trustworthy and ready for the long-haul of reliable service.

But if there are more diagnostics we should insist on - we will do it.  I'm just not sure what more there is to determine if we ultimately will do all 8 anyway...

Thoughts?

- Chris

Don Fairchild

Ignore
« Reply #74 on: June 18, 2013, 10:10:45 AM »

Chris, you and I were posting at the same time.

As to change over I would have to look up the serial number to know for sure but most of the DDEC II engines you removed all of the electronics and installed the mui set up, i.e. governor, racks and link rods change injector and on these engines I think you need to pull the flywheel housing and remove the off set keys in the cam gears and install the straight up keys. You could then remove the atec set up form the V730 and install the valve body and modulator from yours. These things have the rts radiator and fan set up and I don't know if you could get that in your bus or not, if you could that would help with cooling. This type of change out could cost what a rebuilt 8V71N could run.  Just something to think about.

Don
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 13   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: