Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 20, 2014, 02:38:57 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription:  It will not get lost in the mail.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Snowbird internet options  (Read 953 times)
RL

Ignore
« on: June 16, 2013, 01:03:24 PM »

This Fall will be the start of my snowbirding experience as ran into a 4106 by chance and bought it. I'll stay with summer living in my current dwelling in Washington State where I have a land-line phone with DSL. No complaints except I don't want the bill when I'm down South for 6 months every winter from here on out for as long as the health holds up or I breathe my last breath, which ever comes first Smiley I will call the phone company to check to see if they have a snowbird option, a lower non-use rate.

Planning right now to live in a RV park on the central California coast in the bus. I'm from a farming family in the San Joaquin Valley where I'll winter the bus and tow vehicle. I'll fly back and forth every April and October. Therefore I'll need communication (have never owned a cell phone) and internet. RV parks always supply basic cable television so not worried about that.

So was wondering what you more experienced snowbirders have come up with to supply these needs when in the bus.

Thanks, RL

1962 PD4106-1546, 8V71, Allison V-730
Birch Bay, Washington
Dave5Cs

1979 MCI MC5Cs 6V-71 HT-740 Allison, Roseville, CA

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2013, 01:20:05 PM »

We had Verizon Hot Spot. you just plug it into the side of your laptop USB port and log on. It runs about 50 a month for us when we were on the road and in a spot. We canceled it after they kept raising the rate on us.

Sprint also has one but not as big service area.

Dave5Cs

lorna

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2013, 04:38:32 PM »

Posting this via campground provided internet.  We use pay as you go cell phones. In our case, Tracphone. One of my daughters uses a Smart Talk monthly plan with one of the fancy phones. Most of the cellphone outfits now have pay as you go plans of their own.
technomadia

Zephyr - 1961 GM PD-4106-446

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2013, 07:52:09 PM »

If your RV Park has cable TV run already, would it be possible to activate cable internet at your site too?  We've done that when staying at RV Parks with cable run (which are actually few and far between in our experience).

If you'll have a strong cellular signal, check the networks available - cellular internet is also a possibility. But will come with data caps to contend with, and possible speed issues. If Verizon is strong there, the Millenicom (www.millenicom.com) 4G/3G Hotspot plan is great at just $69.99/mo for 20GB of Verizon data, and no contract. That's our primary internet source. They also have a Sprint unlimited plan, if Sprint will have strong signal for you.

Pay as you go internet plans are also a possibility, especially if you are a low bandwidth user. They can get quite pricey however.

- Cherie 

Cherie and Chris / www.technomadia.com
Full-time 'Technomads' since 2006 (technology enabled nomads)
wg4t50

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2013, 10:14:26 PM »

Good subject,  For my setup, I had the Verizon Hot Spot, 3G, works, just slow, so now use the newer 4G Verizon wifi (no cable), seems as fast as the home DSL line, about the same fees, has limit of 5gig/month, that is fine with me, works even with the coach in the metal building, that is about as poor coveage as I can find here, sure that are areas they have to pump sunshine into too and the cell system does not cover.
Dave M

MCI7 20+ Yrs
Foretravel w/ISM500
WG4T CW for over 50 wpm for ever.
Central Virginia
oldmansax
Tom & Phyllis

'82 Bluebird Wanderlodge PT40

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2013, 04:22:52 AM »

I use the Autonet. (DISCLAIMER: I am also a dealer) No contract. Wireless or wired. Up to 50 users at a time. Low usage at $39/mo, high usage at $59/mo. I have it mounted in the bus permanently with an outside antenna. Runs on 12V.

TOM

'82 BlueBird WanderLodge PT40 being rebuilt
Delaware

DON'T STEAL! The government hates competition!
bobofthenorth

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2013, 06:43:17 AM »

When we started out 6 years ago we bought a Hughes dish and we still have it.  But I don't think I'd buy one now.  The advantage of the dish is that if I can see the sky I can get online.   But cellular broadband has improved so much in the last couple of years.  My advice is start out with a cellular access system which could be as basic as tethering your phone and see where it goes.  You may find that campground wifi is adequate for you although that was NOT our experience.

R.J.(Bob) Evans
1981 Prevost 8-92, 10 spd
My website
Our weblog
Simply growing older is not the same as living.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: