Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
August 23, 2014, 12:06:07 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: New ownership began September 1st 2012!  Please send any comments to info@busconversions.com
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I have exactly 10,000 to buy a bus  (Read 3042 times)
harleyman_1000

Ignore
« on: June 17, 2013, 08:44:12 PM »

Hi I just sold my house and have 10,000 cash to buy a bus to travel and live in. If you know of a bus for sale for this amount, please contact me or send the imformation.

Thanks
  Scott

Scott 
St.Louis Missouri

1958 GM 4104 Extended 2 feet, with a 6v92 and 5 speed automatic

http://s783.photobucket.com/user/harleyman_1000/library/Gm4104%20bus?sort=3&page=1
lvmci

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2013, 09:17:23 PM »

There is a prevost on las vegas and los angeles craiglist for $7000 PROBABLY a good deal, always check for.rust and the conditions of ALL the rubber, lvmci...

MCI5A 8V71 Allison MT643
Jon

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2013, 03:35:46 AM »

Wow. I cannot imagine a $10,000 bus that will not soak up at least that much to keep it roadworthy. Just the price of tires today is half that amount.

Maybe I'm way to old for the adventure, but when I think of the cost of diesel fuel, tires, batteries, to say nothing of the required routine maintenance I just don't see how it can be done.

I'd be all over Craigs list looking for the best Class C I could find.

Jon

Current coach 2006 Prevost, Liberty conversion
Knoxville, TN
codretaw1

1965 mci 5A south lyon, michigan

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2013, 04:14:22 AM »

im with you on that bought my bus on craigslist for $4,800  i now have $25,000 in it and took my first trip 1500 miles lots of work and i did all the work myself well with the help of you guys thanks
codretaw1

1965 mci 5A south lyon, michigan

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2013, 04:21:37 AM »

harleyman if you find a bus and you will look it over good drive it , dont craul under it with out blocking it thought if you lose air your done
i have enjoyed working on mine but im crasy like that have over 1000 hours in bus did all my own work im a mechanic and welder
just went to hog rock motorcycle rally in southern IL.  should have charged admission for tours on bus all the work was wort it
round trip averaged 11.2 miles per gallon on 8V71 four speed
harleyman_1000

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2013, 04:23:21 AM »

Yes I know that 10,000 isn't much, but it's all I have, and a old GM can be gotten for much less than a class c or A, and it's a Bus   Grin

Scott 
St.Louis Missouri

http://s783.photobucket.com/user/harleyman_1000/library/Gm4104%20bus?sort=3&page=1
wg4t50

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2013, 04:42:00 AM »

Knowing your budget is a biggie, staying within it is a biggie too, Any time your on the road, you need to be ready to have it hauled homeon a trailer or hook.
Why I spent so much$$$ on PM upkeep, I never had any issues on the road in over 250 k miles.
Dave M

MCI7 20+ Yrs
Foretravel w/ISM500
WG4T CW for over 50 wpm for ever.
Central Virginia
Len Silva

Angle Parked in a Parallel Universe

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2013, 04:59:01 AM »

If you have only $10,000 to buy a bus, then I strongly suggest that you look at $6-7K buses.  I would stick with basic 4104/4106 with stick shift.

Here is a possible candidate. I don't know this bus or the seller, but it looks good online.

http://pd4104.weebly.com/

Hand Made Gifts

Ignorance is only bliss to the ignorant.
harleyman_1000

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2013, 06:50:52 AM »

If you have only $10,000 to buy a bus, then I strongly suggest that you look at $6-7K buses.  I would stick with basic 4104/4106 with stick shift.

Here is a possible candidate. I don't know this bus or the seller, but it looks good online.

http://pd4104.weebly.com/

Yes I called the guy and talked with him for a while. It has had all the 12 volt wiring tore out, and also the bathroom and bedroom gutted, also needs tires

Scott 
St.Louis Missouri

Scott Bennett
Scott & Heather MCI-9

Scott & Heather

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2013, 07:14:30 AM »

WE bought our 9 for $7000. You can def. find a bus. But it may not be converted...are you looking for converted already?

Scott & Heather
1984 MCI9 6V92-turbo with 9 inch roof raise & conversion in progress.
http://www.scottmichaelbennett.com/p/our-bus.html
˙ǝɯoɔlǝʍ suoıʇɐuop ˙snq ʍǝu ɐ pǝǝu ʎlqɐqoɹd ll,ǝʍ 'sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı
technomadia

Zephyr - 1961 GM PD-4106-446

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2013, 07:19:09 AM »

Almost any bus you find for under $10k is likely going to need some sort of major work to get it roadworthy and livable - that's why they're priced as such.

Take a look back over our history with Zephyr - we bought her for $8k, and immediately put another $8k in catch up maintenance (tires, wheels, suspension, fluids, brakes, etc.). We've also spent about $2500/year in addition to that in preventative maintenance and minor repairs.  And even with all that attention, we *still* had an engine overheat and are now facing a $15-20k+ repair bill to get back on the road.  (We are blessed that our research lead us to a bus that was pretty much livable... but we do have another bit of change into truly making her ours... and you WILL want to do modifications, no one will have created a bus to your desire.)

The difference is, we took the wise advice of the folks here and knew that these costs were a high likelihood and factored that into the cost of acquiring our bus. We look at the combined cost of everything we've put into Zephyr (including the repair bill we're dealing with as I type this) and we're *still* way ahead from buying a quality Class-A that would look generic.

Now, could we have done it cheaper by doing more of the work ourselves? Yes?  But not under $10k in total cheaper.

If $10k is really your hardline acquisition and first year ownership budget... and you want a reliable road worthy coach that is completely livable for full timing...  I'm afraid I'd have to concur with others, and advise seeking a less expensive machine to own. Or be looking at buses folks are literally giving away and use that 10K to get it and keep it road worthy.

Now, if you want a bus that you're good with it sitting still a lot as you deal with coming up with money to deal with the issues that will come up...  

- Cherie

Cherie and Chris / www.technomadia.com
Full-time 'Technomads' since 2006 (technology enabled nomads)
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2013, 07:22:40 AM »

I bought my transit bus in 1993 for $4,000. The bus company said that the engine had been rebuilt recently (the speedo had 64,000mi on it [the bus company changed the speedo each time the engine was overhauled-easy way to keep track]). Now nearly 20 years later I can say without a doubt-I've spent close to $100,000 on it with rebuilding the engine/transmission, upgrading to a turbo engine, replacing the air bags, switching from air to hydraulic steering, having it painted, having it insulated, having the carpet layed, doing the complete conversion and then using it. Yes buses can be cheap to initially buy, but rebuilding/repairing costs are very expensive.

If you only have $10,000 to play with, maybe you should keep with a used class C motorhome. Then you can buy it for around $5,000 and have $5,000 left over for repairs. Good luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
bobofthenorth

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2013, 08:32:40 AM »

Listen to Cherie & Tom.  And remember that Cherie has first hand experience with exactly the type of bus you are considering AND - big "and" - she is about to dump somewhere between $10-20k into her bus.  Cherie was lucky, they got a few years on their original engine but that big engine bill can arrive literally anytime after you take ownership of an old bus, including the very next morning.

R.J.(Bob) Evans
1981 Prevost 8-92, 10 spd
My website
Our weblog
Simply growing older is not the same as living.
harleyman_1000

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2013, 09:28:38 AM »

Thank you all for your advise, and I am taking it to heart. I actually have 15,000 cash but want to have 5000 for putting into the bus. I do own 2 other houses outright and plan to sell 1 and rent one out. I have someone that is interested in possibly trading me a 2000 40' wanderlodge for 1 of my houses, but I really do like the GM 4104 and 4106 buses.

Scott 
St.Louis Missouri

harleyman_1000

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2013, 09:31:26 AM »

Almost any bus you find for under $10k is likely going to need some sort of major work to get it roadworthy and livable - that's why they're priced as such.

Take a look back over our history with Zephyr - we bought her for $8k, and immediately put another $8k in catch up maintenance (tires, wheels, suspension, fluids, brakes, etc.). We've also spent about $2500/year in addition to that in preventative maintenance and minor repairs.  And even with all that attention, we *still* had an engine overheat and are now facing a $15-20k+ repair bill to get back on the road.  (We are blessed that our research lead us to a bus that was pretty much livable... but we do have another bit of change into truly making her ours... and you WILL want to do modifications, no one will have created a bus to your desire.)

The difference is, we took the wise advice of the folks here and knew that these costs were a high likelihood and factored that into the cost of acquiring our bus. We look at the combined cost of everything we've put into Zephyr (including the repair bill we're dealing with as I type this) and we're *still* way ahead from buying a quality Class-A that would look generic.

Now, could we have done it cheaper by doing more of the work ourselves? Yes?  But not under $10k in total cheaper.

If $10k is really your hardline acquisition and first year ownership budget... and you want a reliable road worthy coach that is completely livable for full timing...  I'm afraid I'd have to concur with others, and advise seeking a less expensive machine to own. Or be looking at buses folks are literally giving away and use that 10K to get it and keep it road worthy.

Now, if you want a bus that you're good with it sitting still a lot as you deal with coming up with money to deal with the issues that will come up...  

- Cherie

People are actually giving buses away? Do tell.....  Shocked

Scott 
St.Louis Missouri

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: