Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
July 30, 2014, 06:07:07 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: The dog will not eat it.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sorta OT - How do I get grease out of clothes?  (Read 4827 times)
gumpy
Some Assembly Required

Slightly modified 1982 MC9

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2006, 03:33:42 PM »

Oh yeah, I forgot, a little battery acid will take those grease spots right out! Roll Eyes

Jimmy

That's another reason I have to promote my work clothes to REAL WORK clothes early. I run out of (literally) my REAL WORK clothes before they are worn out.  Cheesy

Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

http://bus.gumpydog.com - "Some Assembly Required"
Hi yo silver

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2006, 06:25:35 PM »

Do what I have done for years in working on diesel locomotives on the railroad. Visit your local Goodwill or Salvation Army Thrift Store and buy second hand work clothes.  Keep them in your shop or garage, or in a in a container in a bus bay, changing into them when you have a dirty job.  When they are good and greasy, ditch 'em and use fresh ones.   

Blue Ridge Mountains of VA   Hi Yo Silver! MC9
RJ
Former Giant Greenbrier Owner

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2006, 08:20:43 AM »

Brian -

My receipe is HOT water, 1 cup laundry detergent (usually Kirkland brand from Costco, but any of the majors will do), and 1/4 cup DAWN dishwashing liquid.  Set machine on small load, add soap, let fill and begin agitation.  Once agitation begins, reset water to large, and add clothes.  When agitation begins again, shut off machine and let everything soak for an hour.  After that hour, turn machine back on and let it finish it's cycle.  Repeat if necessary, but usually not needed.

Now, to avoid the problem that Richard mentioned, that of left-over oil contaminating the next load, I usually run the machine empty with HOT water, full load setting and 1/4 cup laundry detergent.  I know, "washing water" only is wasteful, but better than ruining good clothes.

FWIW & HTH. . .

Wink

RJ Long
PD4106-2784 No More
Fresno CA
belfert

« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2006, 08:26:26 AM »

Brian -

My receipe is HOT water, 1 cup laundry detergent (usually Kirkland brand from Costco, but any of the majors will do), and 1/4 cup DAWN dishwashing liquid.  Set machine on small load, add soap, let fill and begin agitation.  Once agitation begins, reset water to large, and add clothes.  When agitation begins again, shut off machine and let everything soak for an hour.  After that hour, turn machine back on and let it finish it's cycle.  Repeat if necessary, but usually not needed.

I wonder if this would work on a front loader.  There are no load size settings on a front loader.

Brian Elfert
RJ
Former Giant Greenbrier Owner

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2006, 08:29:14 AM »

Brian -

Use the same soap receipe, just add the clothes from the get-go.  Let agitate for awhile (3 - 4 minutes), then shut machine off for the hour soak, and restart.

Good luck!

Wink

RJ Long
PD4106-2784 No More
Fresno CA
Buffalo SpaceShip

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: November 29, 2006, 08:35:44 AM »

Brian E, also cut Russ' soap receipe in half... since front loaders use half the water (and detergent) of the top loaders. Hate to see you have a "bubble experience"...  Grin

Brian B.

Brian Brown
4108-216 w/ V730
Longmont, CO
eglluvr

The Quest is But The Beginning...

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: November 29, 2006, 10:18:27 AM »

Brian -

I wonder if this would work on a front loader.  There are no load size settings on a front loader.

Brian Elfert

Our frontloader locks the door, until the final rinse is complete....YMMV

Jim
tekebird

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: November 29, 2006, 04:58:15 PM »

Have clothes your OK having grease stain on and don't worry about it.

Buy some work coveralls and let them get grease stained.
belfert

« Reply #23 on: November 29, 2006, 05:48:50 PM »

Have clothes your OK having grease stain on and don't worry about it.

These aren't my Sunday best or something.  I would just like to get most (not all) of the grease stains out.  It isn't like I don't have a ton of these shirts.

Brian Elfert
loosenut
Confidently Ignorant

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: June 16, 2009, 10:38:06 AM »

This is the only old thread I could find in the archives.  I was wondering if there are there any improvements on the suggestions in this thread: wd-40, orange go-jo, kerosene, lanolin, toss when dirty, toss when stinky, buy used clothes-toss when stinky, tyvek overalls, overalls-toss when stinky, soak for an hour and what's the problem with a washed grease stain, is the last advice I can remember.

I've tried go-jo, soaking and tossing but it is starting to put a dent in my wardrobe.  I even asked at a couple of mechanics shops and the process is to give it to the wife or the service and it comes back clean. 

It seems if I stare too hard at the bus a grease just appears on my clothes.

Mike

PS It was interesting to read a 2006 thread.

Sold 85 Neoplan 33ft 6V92ta, sadly busless
Tenor

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: June 16, 2009, 11:43:17 AM »

gotta put an ad in for Dawn as well.  It's what gets used on animals that have been caught in oil spills.  Works great on you and your clothes.  I just dump a bunch in with my regular tide.

Glenn

Glenn Williams
Lansing, MI
www.threemenandatenor.com
1968 MCI 7 Ser. No. 7476 Unit No. 10056
8v71
4 speed Spicer
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: June 16, 2009, 11:57:40 AM »

Mean Green and a power washer works for me a little rough on the fabric but a better alternative than the wife and her washer.     good luck

Live each day like it was your last,one day it will be
Dreamscape
Dreamscape
Global Moderator

1968 Silver Eagle Model 01 8V71 Allison 740 #7443

« Reply #27 on: June 16, 2009, 12:40:03 PM »

I have an easier way, if the stuff doesn't come out, wear them till they fall off and throw them away! Grin

I know it's not helpful but I've tried before and you know what, it doesn't work too well. Especially when you get black grease on them from a mixer gearbox, been there, done that!

Paul

Becky and Paul Lawry, On The Road
Travel Blog - http://dreamscapetravels.wordpress.com/
Bus Blog - http://dreamscapesilvereagle.wordpress.com/

Our coach was originally owned by the Dixie Echoes.
belfert

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: June 16, 2009, 12:47:08 PM »

I originally started this thread over two years ago. 

I ended using Dawn on my clothes, but by no means are they like new.  The Dawn lifted a lot of grease, but the grease spots are still evident.  I never expected the grease to totally go away.

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
fe2_o3

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: June 16, 2009, 01:13:46 PM »

Laundromat-2AM...I've been kicked out of some of the best laundromats in the state.
Didn't hurt at all...Cable

Sofar Sogood
1953-4104
KB7LJR
Everett, WA.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: