Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
November 23, 2014, 06:45:59 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: You will not have to go out in the rain, sleet, hail, or snow to retrieve it.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Battery Bank venting recommendations  (Read 3151 times)
Buffalo SpaceShip

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2006, 10:19:15 AM »

Gary, I created only a 1 1/2" outlet for my battery box, BUT I have my inverter setup to turn on a ventilation fan once the voltage exceeds 26 volts.  This happens if I'm charging off the inverter or off the bus alternator.  This way I get positive ventilation any time charging is happening.

How-did-you-do-that??  Wow!

You never cease to impress me, Brian D., with your "bootstrap" engineering. I think between you and Gumpy, the Twin Cities is pretty much covered when it comes to bus-gineering.

Bravo!

Brian B.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2006, 10:25:10 AM by Buffalo SpaceShip » Logged

Brian Brown
4108-216 w/ V730
Longmont, CO
Brian Diehl

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2006, 10:23:12 AM »

Hi Brian B.

My inverter is an Outback FX 24v model.  It has a built in feature that allows one to drive different types of output devices through one 12v connection port on the inverter.  The port can be used as an auto gen start or ....  I use its ability to be turned on at a specific voltage to drive a brushless 12v computer fan that pushes air in the battery box at the bottom and out the top where my 1 1/2" vent tube is at.  The vent tube then gets routed into the MCI battery compartment where it is exhausted out the battery compartment louvers.
Gary LaBombard
"Rustless Money Pit"

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2006, 10:32:48 AM »

Man oh Man,
I come in for lunch and wanted to check for additional information to my post but never expected so much informative places to go for additonal information and personal design information also of some of those who have done this project.  I will not take the time to go to the web sites  sent to me right now but will after working on bus this evening,  I am  Just making the main door framing today and all this takes time and any cut out openings needed can be done as of tomorrow, roghing in the doors is priority today.

In my mind from working all morning here is what I think I will do but that can and probably change tomorrow.  I Think I will put a 2" vent on the bottom with louvers pointing to the front of bus or downward, and a 3" vent at the top of my battery compartment with louvers pointing to the back of bus or downward to the ground.  These vents will not be so large they take away from the cosmetic view of my doors, I hope.  The vents will sealed to the door each time the door is closed by Trial and error.  I will vent my battery compartment only as a safety precaution no matter what kind of battery I use,  I am sure I will not be able to afford the real good ones at first as I also have to replace every tire etc. and this is all $$$ that is difficult to accumulate when retired.  

So if I have to use lesser quality batteries no matter where I get them I can upgrade when ever it may become possible in the future but the venting will never be a waste of time to me for the safety factor alone.  My battery compartment will be isolated from my inverter  and every electrical componet or compartment for my bus power system for the same reason, I know, this is over kill but as Fast Fred used to always say, do it my your way and be happy.  

I am putting all your information offered today in perspective and trying to incorporate it all into a perfect arrangement I will be proud to show you all if I ever ger "R" done.  What a monument!!  

Thanks again for all comments, suggestions, websites with information I know I can study for more ideas and just having you all involved.

Now I got to get back to work for the afternoon. 

Gary

« Last Edit: November 28, 2006, 10:41:42 AM by Gary LaBombard » Logged

Gary
larryh
4905A-893 P8M

ready to run with the big dogs

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2006, 12:48:48 PM »

Gary

One other consideration make sure you don't set up a BBQ close to battery compartment as we all usually run a gen set or charge batts off land line when sitting  and a open flame and hydrogen gas makes for a exciting evening at the imprompto bon fire.

LarryH

Savvy ponderable:
A cowboy's only afraid of two things:
havin' ta walk,
and the love of a good woman.
"This posting was generated using an environmentally friendly, self contained flatulence generator, therefore no fossils or neutrons were harmed in the creation of this posting.

Quartzsite,
Hi yo silver

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2006, 06:56:18 PM »

Don't forget the benefits of having a plainly marked container of baking soda located near the battery compartment.  I suggest about two or three pounds, in a plastic container, kept readily available, somewhat like you might keep a fire extinguisher available for emergencies.  If you have an acid spill, the soda, followed by flushing with water, will neutralize the acid.  I keep it in my shop.

Blue Ridge Mountains of VA   Hi Yo Silver! MC9
kyle4501

PD4501 South Carolina

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: November 28, 2006, 08:25:14 PM »

Would it be a good idea to tie the battery vent into the waste tank vent?
This would get the corossive gases above from the bus without another unsightly vent.

Another thought about fans is to use a bilge fan (I think they are explosion proof) from a boat & have it come on whenever the baterys are charging or discharging.

Looking forward to the next update!

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. (R.M. Nixon)
Gary LaBombard
"Rustless Money Pit"

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: November 28, 2006, 09:01:35 PM »

A lot of great ideas come out of this post and thanks to all.  Kyle, I like your suggestion but maybe a little feed back from others on this,  I am not sure of the extent of having a gas build up some place within the plumbing in elbows etc. and also of the gases from the  waste tank mixing, maybe not problem but lets run with this idea and see what others think if they don't mind posting??  I like the idea, have to think on it and maybe get other thoughts about it.   As far as unsightly through the door vent. this will be sort of small, but the sight of this vent system if will not bother me as much as not being safe without the air ventilation system. 

I have gone and looked at all the sites that you all posted her also, Man I am tired but more educated. 

I definately will not have my barbecue next to my battery bank or air vent exhaust, and will also have the baking soda ready.  Other legitimate suggestions apprecaited.

an explosion proof fan is a major consideration, good inforamation here and thanks again.

Gary

Gary
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: