Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 25, 2014, 12:56:22 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It arrives at least two weeks before the First Class printed magazine.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I have exactly 10,000 to buy a bus  (Read 3234 times)
Jon

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2013, 09:55:27 AM »

A Bluebird is every bit a bus, and a 2000 model will still need tires, batteries, maintenance and fuel but unless it has been abused would be waaaaaay better than a 50 year old coach that has had many hands involved in making changes.

Jon

Current coach 2006 Prevost, Liberty conversion
Knoxville, TN
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2013, 12:58:57 PM »

I would take the BB and forget about a 50 year old GM we all know they look good but it goes a lot deeper than looks and likes

Life is short drink the good wine first
harleyman_1000

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2013, 02:35:55 PM »

The BB costs 85,000 (or swap for my house)  and the Gm is under 10,000. I'm not going to rush into a decision, so I will give myself untill morning to decide    Grin

Scott 
St.Louis Missouri

1958 GM 4104 Extended 2 feet, with a 6v92 and 5 speed automatic

http://s783.photobucket.com/user/harleyman_1000/library/Gm4104%20bus?sort=3&page=1
LowTide

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2013, 04:57:09 PM »

The BB costs 85,000 (or swap for my house)  and the Gm is under 10,000. I'm not going to rush into a decision, so I will give myself untill morning to decide    Grin

While you are deciding, you may want to use this link and search all of craiglist at once http://www.searchcraigslist.org/
There are some good finds out there and you may have to travel a bit, but it can be worth it. Best wishes on your dream....lots of good advice here Wink

All the best
Mike

Mike and Lori
Sunny Phoenix Arizona
"1973 MCI MC-7 Challenger"

"A nation of sheep helps breed a government of wolves"
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2013, 07:43:13 AM »

Take the 2000 Blue Bird-minimum of 35 years newer with recent drive train. Unless you're a fairly good mechanic, I'd stay away from a bus that can be over 60yrs old (first 4104's). Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
Seville

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2013, 07:53:11 AM »

I have to agree with the others who say the Blue Bird is the way to go. A 50 year old bus will have issues. There is just no way around that.
However, if you have your heart set on a GM coach ? The 4104 Len posted seems like a very good deal.

Good luck with your search Smiley

New York City
1984 MC9 6v92T
technomadia

Zephyr - 1961 GM PD-4106-446

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2013, 08:03:45 AM »

That seems very high from a BlueBird - we've seen some much better deals for Wanderlodges and Newells and other from-the-factory bus-like RV's.

Take your time and hunt.  It will take awhile to find a bus that feels right, and which is priced right.

We searched across the country - and considered buses ranging from $10k to $60k.  And in the end we bought an amazing conversion with a fabulous interior in great shape (but with unknown mechanical history) for $8k.  Of course - we needed $4k in new tires and wheels just to drive it more than a mile, and that was just the start...

- Chris

Cherie and Chris / www.technomadia.com
Full-time 'Technomads' since 2006 (technology enabled nomads)
Simy

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: June 19, 2013, 09:02:40 AM »

This may be worth checking out from craigslist there is a bus for $1000.
http://humboldt.craigslist.org/rvs/3852138113.html

I would assume this would put you well over your $10k budget when all is said and done. I speak from experience Wink
On the other hand, it may not.
wildbob24

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: June 19, 2013, 09:06:21 AM »

You could take that Eagle to the scrap yard and make money. I wonder if that's a misprint.

Hard to beat the character and classic feel of this blast from the past:

http://tinyurl.com/Classic4106

Bob

P8M4905A-1308, 8V71 w/V730
Custom Coach Conversion
Duluth, GA
Jeremy

1987 Bedford Plaxton

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: June 19, 2013, 12:07:54 PM »

I know this doesn't help much, but you can buy a very nice bus here for $10k. Here are some examples from a website I look at from time-to-time:

1989 Daf Plaxton for 5,000 ($7,800)
http://www.usedcoachsales.co.uk/coach.ihtml?coach=884

1986 Volvo Van Hool for 4,200 ($6,600)
http://www.usedcoachsales.co.uk/coach.ihtml?coach=999

1988/9 Volvo Plaxtons for 4,500 - 5,500 ($7,000 - $8,600)
http://www.usedcoachsales.co.uk/coach.ihtml?coach=1018

1991 MAN Jonkheere (and the sought-after shortwheelbase version) for 6,500 ($10,100)
http://www.usedcoachsales.co.uk/coach.ihtml?coach=1099

1989 Volvo Van Hool for 5,500 ($8,600):
http://www.usedcoachsales.co.uk/coach.ihtml?coach=1104

And I think it would be fair to say there's a lot of negotiation headroom built into those dealer prices too - I bought my bus (1987 Bedford Plaxton) directly from the operator and straight out of service - and paid 2,500 ($3,900) for it, about five years ago

Jeremy

A shameless plug for my business - visit www.magazineexchange.co.uk for back issue magazines - thousands of titles covering cars, motorbikes, aircraft, railways, boats, modelling etc. You'll find lots of interest, although not much covering American buses sadly.
Low Class

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: June 19, 2013, 12:27:17 PM »

Harleyman,
Ten years ago I was in this same situation.  I wanted an rv, not necessarily a bus, but something with a diesel engine.  I didn't even know enough to ask a sensible question.  There wasn't near as much info on the net as there is now.  I read everything I could find.  Also there weren't near as many buses for sale then and the prices for decent appearing ones started at $70k to well over a $100k.  This was way over my budget.

After about a year of research, I ended up with the Wanderlodge that I currently own.  (1985 PT36/6V92 pusher).  At the time it seemed like the BEST FIT FOR ME.
My point is that you have to decide what is the best fit for you.  The trick for a newby is knowing which bus will be a good fit.

It appears that we could be close neighbors on the economic ladder.  If this is true, you cannot afford that $100k Wanderlodge.  That is what you will have in it after you pay all the taxes, fees, insurance, and bring the maintance up to date.  While not a big deal for someone with near or above a six figure income WL's of this vintage can have some problems:  ball joints, the pto drive for the hydraulic pump, the vertical exhaust rust, are some.

Now back to fit.  Some questions you need to answer for yourself.  Are you a large person?  Will you travel alone or with another person?  How big is the other person?
Are you tall?  Still own the Big Harley and want to take it with you?  Do you also want to take the jeep and a large tool box?  You will need 10k# tow cap.  I am just trying to get your thinking headed in a direction that you won't have regrets.

May be best to get a $10k bus at first, to see if you like the lifestyle before you spend more money.

Jim Keefauver/1985 Wanderlodge PT36/6V92TA/MT654CR/East Tn.
harleyman_1000

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: June 19, 2013, 03:12:07 PM »

Harleyman,
Ten years ago I was in this same situation.  I wanted an rv, not necessarily a bus, but something with a diesel engine.  I didn't even know enough to ask a sensible question.  There wasn't near as much info on the net as there is now.  I read everything I could find.  Also there weren't near as many buses for sale then and the prices for decent appearing ones started at $70k to well over a $100k.  This was way over my budget.

After about a year of research, I ended up with the Wanderlodge that I currently own.  (1985 PT36/6V92 pusher).  At the time it seemed like the BEST FIT FOR ME.
My point is that you have to decide what is the best fit for you.  The trick for a newby is knowing which bus will be a good fit.

It appears that we could be close neighbors on the economic ladder.  If this is true, you cannot afford that $100k Wanderlodge.  That is what you will have in it after you pay all the taxes, fees, insurance, and bring the maintance up to date.  While not a big deal for someone with near or above a six figure income WL's of this vintage can have some problems:  ball joints, the pto drive for the hydraulic pump, the vertical exhaust rust, are some.

Now back to fit.  Some questions you need to answer for yourself.  Are you a large person?  Will you travel alone or with another person?  How big is the other person?
Are you tall?  Still own the Big Harley and want to take it with you?  Do you also want to take the jeep and a large tool box?  You will need 10k# tow cap.  I am just trying to get your thinking headed in a direction that you won't have regrets.

May be best to get a $10k bus at first, to see if you like the lifestyle before you spend more money.

Yes  I have thought about and still am about everything you have said. That is one of the things that makes me hesitate about trading my other house for the Wanderlodge 

Scott 
St.Louis Missouri

1958 GM 4104 Extended 2 feet, with a 6v92 and 5 speed automatic

http://s783.photobucket.com/user/harleyman_1000/library/Gm4104%20bus?sort=3&page=1
Ed Hackenbruch

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: June 20, 2013, 05:58:18 AM »

If you trade the house for the Wanderlodge that leaves you with your $15,000 for anything that comes up with it. If you buy a bus or something else with your $15,000 you could sell your house for $85,000 and have that money if you needed to do work on it......a different way of looking at it. 

1968 MCI 5A with 8V71 and Allison MT644 transmission.  Western USA
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: