Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
September 21, 2014, 09:16:11 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription:  It will not get lost in the mail.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ballpark costs for engine rebuilds and engine swaps...  (Read 2718 times)
technomadia

Zephyr - 1961 GM PD-4106-446

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2013, 08:05:31 AM »

My advice is a simple rebuild right now and then consider well planned upgrades in the future if you feel the need.  I would only consider a 6v92 repower if the bus wasn't already being used and needed and down TIME wasn't a big issue.  6v92 is mostly such a good swap because of the turbo anyways.  I would rather turbo an engine I knew was 100% solid than repower with a used 6v92 and end up rebuilding later.

Thank you for the real life numbers and experience, especially on the radiator core - as that is planned in all scenarios.

Unfortunately - 'simple rebuild' is looking to cost in the same ballpark as the swap potential of a remanufactured or reliabilt 6v92 option we are also pursuing. If we go with a 8v71 rebuild (which is very much still on the table), it would be 'the final solution' sort of proposition, not a temporary solution with potential to swap later.

So thus, we are trying to carefully consider the options and do things as best we can now. Time, we are flexible on... now that our July plans are shot anyway. Smiley

- Cherie
« Last Edit: June 20, 2013, 08:10:23 AM by technomadia » Logged

Cherie and Chris / www.technomadia.com
Full-time 'Technomads' since 2006 (technology enabled nomads)
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2013, 08:40:24 AM »

Overhaul your own engine. Then you can just replace what really needs replacing rather then just blindly replacing everything with new. Sometimes you can get by with replacing the one bad cylinder and then re ringing the other pistons and installing new bearing shells. Will save hundreds-maybe thousands. Good luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
opus

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2013, 08:46:04 AM »

And yet I would bite the bullet and do new everything.  These side of the road things tend to be a lot more money than doing it on home turf.  If its done new, you wont ever have to worry about that engine again.

Chances are like everyone else, you probably have more money into the bus than its worth now.  No need worrying about getting your money out of it if you sell it cause you wont. Smiley  I am included in that "everyone else".  At least you'd know you could get good money for the engine.

Done rambling.........

1995 BB All-American - A Transformation.
technomadia

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2013, 09:19:49 AM »

We bought the bus with an unknown mechanical history for pretty darn cheap, and knew from the beginning a major engine something was a likely scenario. When we got the bus so affordably, we put the money aside then, and are using this opportunity to set off with a reliable setup that will give us confidence in the wheels beneath our feet.

Whether or not a few patches could get us back on the road - the reality check of this break down has us wanting the peace of mind of knowing we are setting off with as reliable an engine bay as we can muster. Despite lots of preventative maintenance for the past 2 years, we've always had a lurking 'what if' as we had no idea of the condition of things inside the engine.

This is also our full time home on wheels... we're always on 'home turf'.  We don't have our own garage or tools or expertise to do an overhaul ourselves.

Keeping 'value' in the bus? Nah, not even a consideration. This is our home - feeling comfortable, confident and proud of our home are the most important outcomes. We love our bus, and the home we've built with her.

And besides, even with this expense - we're still far ahead than had we just bought a generic high end Class-A (financially and happiness factor).

- Cherie

opus

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2013, 09:40:55 AM »

Agreed 100%  You've hit a "what if" and hopefully you'll get this behind you and have piece of mind knowing its been resolved.  Wish you weren't on the "other side" of Montana.  I'd be more than happy to sit with a cup of coffee in hand and point at things to help you along.  Wink

1995 BB All-American - A Transformation.
eagle19952

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2013, 10:07:10 AM »

But..in reality the thought of a repower ah la a 6v92T is really and truly not going to be one spec more confidence inducing than an absolutely equally nicely and confidently OBSERVED overhaul of your current motor...(it MAY be an ego inducing power monster in them thar hills)....BUT it will certainly REQUIRE a more constant vigil on the ever omnipotent TEMP gauge....
You will have the warm and fuzzy knowledge of knowing WHAT caused your failure....IF (and the fact) it WAS or WAS NOT your current cooling configuration...
You will never know if it was a burnt injector tip...I could not sleep well not knowing that.....
Your lifestyle currently appears to be one indicative of slow and steady wins the race....why change now ?
My 40' eagle hauling a 16 foot trailer got me up Tioga Pass at 22-24 mph (with an occasional 19 mph segment.....imagine all I would have missed at 31-34 mph.
PS I have a 8v71N.....
PSS it got me down w/o Jakes  Wink
PSS and then there would be no Rosy R. pics... Cry
technomadia

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: June 20, 2013, 10:22:33 AM »

We're currently exploring 2 primary options..

- Rebuild/overhaul the 8v71 here in Billings at the DD shop we're at, and roll away with a fully DYNO'd engine, all new hoses/clamps,  new water pump, thermostats, etc and flushed/inspected/recored cooling system.

or

- Get hauled 1200 miles down to Don's in CA and have him work magic on our engine..  he's exploring either overhaul/rebuild the 8v71 (if it's not damaged beyond being worth rebuilding) into a turbo, or repower with a 6v92TA... and all the proper cooling setup needed, of course.

Our interest is in the turbo option for power at altitude, giving us confidence to explore and crossing mountains. Not to go vroom everywhere else.

There are logistical factors with both options that will play deciding roles. We're working through those now.

- Cherie
PS. Don't worry about lack of Rosy R pics..  never hard to get this girl to pose for a camera Smiley

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: