Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
November 27, 2014, 10:16:11 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: You will not incur forwarding fees when you are on the road.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What TV are you using?  (Read 1546 times)
grantgoold

Ignore
« on: June 19, 2013, 04:23:18 PM »

I know that many of us hate the idea of TVs in the bus ("Look at this beautiful countryside instead") but I need to start looking at my options since the boss wants one up front (32 inch or bigger) and a smaller unit in the master bedroom (24-32 inch).

The front unit will need to be pretty thin as I plan on having it fit in an overhead cabinet space.

Ideas, manufactures, models......

Thanks

Grant

Grant Goold
1984 MCI 9
Way in Over My Head!
Citrus Heights, California
muldoonman
1991 Prevost 8V92TA

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2013, 04:40:38 PM »

just had 2 LED's  installed in my bus. Went to Best Buy with tape measure and picked um out. Samsung I think they were. Was told the led's used less juice and didn't get as hot.. Get them for a song nowadays. Grand daughter sure likes watching her toons going down the road!
Seayfam

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2013, 04:49:20 PM »

I'm for the LED's also. I just switched my TV's and lights over to LED and what a huge difference when boon docking!!! The picture on the LED's aren't too bad either. As mentioned, just go to Best Buy with your measurement.

Gary Seay (location Alaska)
1969 MCI MC-6 unit# 20006
8V92 turbo 740 auto
more pics and information here     "  www.my69mci-6.blogspot.com  "
biff

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2013, 04:54:33 PM »

Just a tip if you are going to use a wall mount. check ebay.prices a WHOLE lot better than store. ::)far as tvs go ide stay away from emerson and philips. jmo. Tongue
Cary and Don

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2013, 04:56:37 PM »

32 inch is plenty big enough.  In fact we had put that size in the 4107 and it was way too big.  Just right for the 40' Eagle though.  Remember,  you are a lot closer to it in the bus and it really looks big in that small space.

Don and Cary

1973 05 Eagle
Neoplan AN340
wg4t50

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2013, 05:46:49 PM »

I use a Sony LCD 26", Does a perfect picture, but I would strongly recommend a different model with the LED screen, This is due to the excessive heat produced by the LCD, I have to use a shield above the TV to protect the head liner as the TV sits high, near the ceiling. Maybe I should not worry, but just a note for others, might feel good in the winter, but summer, it makes the A/C run more often.
Dave M

MCI7 20+ Yrs
Foretravel w/ISM500
WG4T CW for over 50 wpm for ever.
Central Virginia
robertglines1
steam nut

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2013, 06:16:10 PM »

Sony Bravia LED's  Have in last 2 buses and in home.  LED In my opinion is less sensitive to reflective light.  Bob

Bob@Judy  98 XLE prevost with 3 slides --Home done---last one! SW INdiana
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2013, 06:21:11 PM »

I thought the back lighting was only LED not the display the plasma has by the far the best picture but they don't care much for movement and temperature change mine didn't last long 

I have a problem viewing our LED when sitting where the cabinet is for the tv the picture is terrible when looking up at a angle a hinged mount is in the future 
« Last Edit: June 19, 2013, 06:26:57 PM by luvrbus » Logged

Life is short drink the good wine first
robertglines1
steam nut

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2013, 06:39:20 PM »

I have never had plasma. We had such good luck with the Sony Bravia in bus that's what we went with in house. 1080 unit; but very little broadcast that way. Plays CD's great. We do have our front unit mounted on wall across from slide.  Bob

Bob@Judy  98 XLE prevost with 3 slides --Home done---last one! SW INdiana
Dave5Cs

1979 MCI MC5Cs 6V-71 HT-740 Allison, Roseville, CA

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2013, 06:53:46 PM »

We have Phillips 32" in front and it is a LED great TV no problems, You can adjust the sound to the type of thing you are watching, Music News, standard etc..
In the Bedroom a small 15" Dynex great picture and sound.

Dave5Cs

My personal skills are fine.. itís my tolerance to idiots that needs work!....

http://s1264.photobucket.com/albums/jj493/fltmr2000/
technomadia

Zephyr - 1961 GM PD-4106-446

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2013, 07:19:11 PM »

Since our focus is computers, one of our 30" computer monitors doubles as a TV screen in our living area (hooked up to a Bluray player and TV tuner). It's an Apple Thunderbolt Cinema display.

In the bedroom, we have a 22" LED Samsung that we have no complaints about.

- Cherie

Cherie and Chris / www.technomadia.com
Full-time 'Technomads' since 2006 (technology enabled nomads)
lvmci

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2013, 10:39:07 PM »

Hi All, there is the LCD/led back lit tvs that have been around for awhile and new LED screens also known as FULL or TRUE LED tvs, the picture is actually made by the leds, better blacks, truer colors, plasmas have great pictures, are very heavy, hot and are sensitive to vibration, have a shorter life too. Tube tvs have the best picture, but I don't even know if there are tube hdtvs available to the public, and LCD tvs are fine, back lit in several ways may get hotter, but not as muh as a tube or plasma, hdtvs come in 720p, 1080I and 1080p, for the best picture go for the 1080p with 240,  for the best buy, go for the 720p, there are very slim tvs areound 1 inch thick, but you pay a premium and it might flex to much, get a good mount as Cliff says, a drop and tilt, even turn is worth the cost and instalation for convience and parking the tv while traveling, 3D tvs will have dramatic price reductions for a little while, I hope this helps, I work in the tv biz, the led 1080p hdtvs are what were buying, lvmci...
« Last Edit: June 19, 2013, 10:50:16 PM by lvmci » Logged

Mci 102C3 8V92, Allison 4 speed 740
Formally MCI5A 8V71 Allison MT643
belfert

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2013, 04:31:56 AM »

I'm almost certain nobody makes tube HDTVs anymore.  So called true LED TVs still use a LCD screen.  They just have individual LEDs behind the screen for more precise backlighting.  There are OLED TVs, but they are expensive and hard to find.

I really like plasma TVs, but not good in a bus.  I have no TV in my bus.  My home TV is plasma.

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
lvmci

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2013, 08:09:28 AM »

As Brian says, most tvs advertised as led are back lit lcd/led or led/lcd, the confusion is worsened by these new terms, true and full, however there is led image picture tvs which were initially called true leds, available to the public, see this gizmo article from last year,
www.gizmag.com/sony-crystal-led-display/21056/
It explains the backlit led types, and yes the stadium large screens are the example to use of the delta arraignment led image magnification screens, but there are consumer led image tvs available and yes they are more expensive, but the prices are dropping dramatically, and the marketing people will obviuscate the tvs names to get rid of the lcd/led backlit tvs. We still use tube HD tvs as matching monitors in video, which are extremely expensive, but you can't believe the pictures, you would be amazed, but that's directly out of the cameras, sorry if there was confusion with my previous reply, lvmci...
« Last Edit: June 20, 2013, 08:30:04 AM by lvmci » Logged

bobofthenorth

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2013, 08:24:15 AM »

We've got a big TV on the bus and another one on the boat.  I have no idea whether they are LED or LSD or Huh We just went to Wal-Mart and bought a big cheap TV.  Its a simple plan and it works.

R.J.(Bob) Evans
1981 Prevost 8-92, 10 spd
My website
Our weblog
Simply growing older is not the same as living.
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2013, 08:37:41 AM »

Because of the design of the front of my bus, I'm still using my old fashioned 13" 120vac (through the inverter) with a digital converter box. Since it is a 4:3 ratio TV, you do loose some width over the 14:9. It works well both with the converter box and the inverter.

I changed the TV in the bedroom from the 9" I had to a Samsung LCD 23". Big difference in the viewing. But had to aim it down at the bed since the viewing angle is less on a LCD then analog TV. The LCD TV also works just fine with my modified sine wave inverter. Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
lvmci

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2013, 08:50:56 AM »

Bob, I had friends in the 70s who watched LSD tv and friends who watched LDS tv and some who liked both, lvmci...

belfert

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2013, 09:38:42 AM »

As Brian says, most tvs advertised as led are back lit lcd/led or led/lcd, the confusion is worsened by these new terms, true and full, however there is led image picture tvs which were initially called true leds, available to the public, see this gizmo article from last year,
www.gizmag.com/sony-crystal-led-display/21056/

Is this really available for retail purchase?  The article says it is a prototype.

I think LED might be the real winner for TVs when looking down the road a few years.  LCD TVs, and even plasma TVs, have some compromises, but the average consumer doesn't care as long as their TV is cheap and they can keep up with the Jones.

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
Lee Bradley

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2013, 10:43:24 AM »

All the manufactures tune their TVs for a little different look.  Go to the stores pick out the picture you and yours prefer also after 90 days or so it wouldn't hurt to have it tuned.
Dave5Cs

1979 MCI MC5Cs 6V-71 HT-740 Allison, Roseville, CA

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2013, 12:10:55 PM »

All the manufactures tune their TVs for a little different look.  Go to the stores pick out the picture you and yours prefer also after 90 days or so it wouldn't hurt to have it tuned.
What is having it tuned and where would one get that done?

Dave5Cs from Galaxy S III

My personal skills are fine.. itís my tolerance to idiots that needs work!....

http://s1264.photobucket.com/albums/jj493/fltmr2000/
goutoe

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2013, 12:36:19 PM »

I went with 2- 27"LED Visios in my bus I  have been very happy with them. Have Samsung in the house they work good too. had a bad experience with emerson though.>>>>John.

John & Linda 1977 AM General 6V92 turbo Detroit 3 Speed allison, 40 ft.
NoRivets

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: June 20, 2013, 01:11:43 PM »

We use a  Samsung UN26D4003BD hanging on a MOR/ryde articulating mount.  Mounted it on the face of the overhead above the windshield area.

Traveling position is locked in center and when parked we can move it wherever we want.

AZ
1980- RTS - 8v71N w/N-65 A-timed/ 4:10 gears
towing a Jeep Wrangler.  99.9% completed (15th Yr)
lorna

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: June 20, 2013, 02:39:52 PM »

Our cheap Sanyo Vizon TV shown has since bit the dust (it was 5 years old and traveled many miles). I slung together a cheap scrap material mounting system since I was very unhappy with the one I had bought (after only a couple of months, I ended up having to bungie cord the thing to the wall in the Class C while traveling). We will replace old broken TV with one that will fit in the space the old one did. Based on measurements, that would be a 32" diagonal (some not all) as I have a limit on the height. Since we figure TVs only last a about 5 years anyway, we will go to Wal-Mart and buy one with the best picture, that fits in our space and fits our meager pocketbook. I replaced the DVD player with a real cheap one. They seem to last as long as the ones with all the bells & whistles. I hope to change all my movies over to USB thumb drives in the near future as my movies are over running the bus. And I still have a pile in storage!

BTW, I have since painted the raw plywood black (looks better and seems to disappear). The lower part of the old mantle will have an LP fan forced heater installed and the hearth tiled. We sit so close to the TV, 32" is plenty big enough. I plan on putting a similar or slightly smaller sized one in the back bedroom just for watching movies on.

Go look at TV's and stand as far from them as you would normally be watching them. This will give you a good idea as to what size you will be happy with.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2013, 02:54:41 PM by lorna » Logged
Lee Bradley

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: June 20, 2013, 03:15:53 PM »

What is having it tuned and where would one get that done?

Dave5Cs from Galaxy S III

The techies have equipment and spec to set the color density, brightness, etc. back to factory spec.  The Geek squad does it around here.
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: