Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
December 18, 2014, 11:28:21 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: You can zoom in to make the text larger and easier to read.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Air Governor Question  (Read 399 times)
paul102a3

Ignore
« on: June 20, 2013, 05:06:52 AM »

I am trying to get a better understanding of the air governor. I think I understand the basic operation but am confused on several points.

Am I correct in thinking there is no pressure to the unloader port until the piston inside overcomes the spring pressure or does the unloader port see the same pressure as the inlet until the piston moves?

Is the purpose of the exhaust port to relieve the pressure in the unloader valve itself?

Thanks for any clarification,

Paul

2001 Prevost XL II
bevans6

1980 MCI MC-5C

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2013, 05:40:12 AM »

Your first thought is correct.  Air comes into the governor through the reservoir port (bottom port if you consider the adjusting spring end as the top).  When the reservoir port pressure reaches the cut-out set pressure the piston moves and reservoir pressure is applied to the unloader ports.  The unloader ports are connected to the compressor unloader and to the air dryer purge valve if there is an air dryer.  Once the reservoir port pressure drops to the cut-in point the piston moves back down and the pressure in the unloader port is vented out via the exhaust port.  This is a great description of how it all works.  http://beamalarm.com/Documents/haldex_d2_governor_service_data.html

Brian

1980 MCI MC-5C, 8V-71T from a M-110 self propelled howitzer
Spicer 8844 4 speed Zen meditation device
Vintage race cars -
1978 Lola T440 Formula Ford
1972 NTM MK-4 B/SR
paul102a3

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2013, 02:35:08 PM »

Brian,

Thanks for the confirmation. I appreciate it.

Paul

2001 Prevost XL II
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: