Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
July 31, 2014, 12:43:40 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: You can zoom in to make the text larger and easier to read.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: bus ownership.  (Read 1731 times)
robertglines1
steam nut

Ignore
« on: June 20, 2013, 06:55:43 PM »

The recent event stirs up questions? Should I own one? Should I repair it? I have a friend that owns 108 tractors.  I build buses. Can I really ever expect to recover the cost of the drive train changes I have made in fuel savings? prob not. Should I have bought a XLII or kept the original MCI 8 and been $$$ahead probably. Or just went to Hawaii each year for a week.  What would I have missed---A whole bunch of friends and experiences.  So whats my plans for a major break down? Prob major haul it home and fix it. That's sort of fun also but will have to admit could use some wheel time now. How close am I to getting done?? No hurry here--if it gets to hot ---I go to cool.   So ask yourself; Am I in this for profit? For the experience? Do I have a plan B?  If it's for profit you might seek help!  ......I did notice between the 2 boards there were over 8000 reads on the recent breakdown.......Just my opinion.   Bob  PS charter service is a commercial business and is separate!
« Last Edit: June 20, 2013, 07:22:26 PM by robertglines1 » Logged

Bob@Judy  98 XLE prevost with 3 slides --Home done---last one! SW INdiana
Dave5Cs

1979 MCI MC5Cs 6V-71 HT-740 Allison, Roseville, CA

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2013, 08:00:13 PM »

More reads on their Blog too Bob.
You are so right though. I remember when I started out only 3 years ago and you all told me to enjoy it and realize that I will never get our money back. We have only had it on the road for about 1 year so far and that was not continuous. Camp ground parked for 6 months of that but ran it on the weekends for at least 50 miles to keep her belly full and lubed.
We have enjoyed it enmencly. Like others it is our home even though right now it is parked behind the ranch trailer we live in temporarily.
I have put a few bucks into fixing the air leaks. All new valves and still will replace the compressor. New roller shades. New Awnings. re arranging the bays and running a lot of new plumbing pipe soon to pex. Pulling out the big LP tank and got 2 pullouts that will hold 4-20lb LP tanks and take up 1/2 the room.

Point is it is always something. and we like others have worried about our 6V 71. It runs well now but would like the 6 V 92 TA but also am not going to use the repair fund to do it when other things could happen.
But it all comes with the territory. Bus Life also as Cheri said, Also comes with a family and all these last few days posts say that.

Dave5Cs

technomadia

Zephyr - 1961 GM PD-4106-446

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2013, 08:22:46 PM »

Yes.. lots (lots and lots) of reads on our blog too. And our Facebook page. It's hard to say what the ultimate reach is, but we know it's pretty wide.

We went into this eyes wide open with thanks of others sharing their challenges, and are so very thankful for that - we could prepare for what we're facing now. We know several folks actively shopping for their first bus who we told to get a feel for what bus ownership is like by getting involved with these forums. Some are lurking (hi!), some are active.

We want to make sure any new bus owner knows what they are getting into, and consciously chooses the challenges ahead of them.

That's why we share.. the good and the challenging. We do not regret for one instant having a bus and being in this situation. We love bus life, we love the bus community (and like family, sometimes we have our moments) and wouldn't change a thing.

- Cherie

Cherie and Chris / www.technomadia.com
Full-time 'Technomads' since 2006 (technology enabled nomads)
wg4t50

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2013, 02:30:05 AM »

As long as your enjoying the bus lifestyle, great,  BUT, if your thinking your investing and one day will recover your money, your ready for the ocean front property in Kansas.
You can not take it with you, so spend it wisely and get some enjoyment out of it.
Dave M

MCI7 20+ Yrs
Foretravel w/ISM500
Jon

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2013, 04:32:37 AM »

Keep in mind the remarks below are from a guy who owns store bought coaches.

When I bought our 87 Prevost Liberty in 1990 I couldn't count the number of people who told me how many nights I could stay in first class hotels for what I spent on that coach. I'm on my third now and I still hear those comments.

If I had the money I spent buying and maintaining my coaches I could be tooling around in a late model Citation jet, or staying in expensive hotels. But that is not the point.

I may not build my coaches, but once I own it, nobody touches it except me (with a few rare exceptions). I maintain it, I repair it, I modify it and of course I travel in it. When I am not enjoying it on the road, I am monkeying with it in my garage. It is not a coach or a bus. It is a hobby. It is something I enjoy in every respect. The only question a new or potential owner has to ask is what they expect to get out of coach ownership and if they are prepared to handle the financial costs. Buying one without recognizing the costs is the biggest mistake I see owners make.

Jon

Current coach 2006 Prevost, Liberty conversion
Knoxville, TN
muldoonman
1991 Prevost 8V92TA

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2013, 06:47:44 AM »

Yeah, better step into bus ownership with eyes wide open. Always something to fix or spend money on. Do a little myself but thank goodness I've found a gentleman off the board here (Justin Griffith) that knows his way in and out on coaches and he takes care of many issues on my old bus. Only problem is he hauls charters (bands) around and sometimes hard to track that cat down.
Scott Bennett
Scott & Heather MCI-9

Scott & Heather

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2013, 07:09:05 AM »

Interesting post Bob. After seeing how everyone came through for Techno, I'm convinced I'll stay an active member of this board even if and when we head the "truck conversion" route because you guys all have each other's back. I've said it before, and I'll say it again, busnuts, and esp the ones on this forum are some of the best people, quality people, I have ever met in my life. Wish  we could have one big ginormous rally someday...(preferably before heaven)

Scott & Heather
1984 MCI9 6V92-turbo with 9 inch roof raise & conversion in progress.
http://www.scottmichaelbennett.com/p/our-bus.html
˙ǝɯoɔlǝʍ suoıʇɐuop ˙snq ʍǝu ɐ pǝǝu ʎlqɐqoɹd ll,ǝʍ 'sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2013, 07:18:03 AM »

I have to agree with you Jon,you buy any bus you need deep pockets they are not for the faint of heart for sure starting with a bus that probably has 2 million plus miles under it yours would be low mileage Jon even with 300,000 miles lol
« Last Edit: June 21, 2013, 08:57:41 AM by luvrbus » Logged

Live each day like it was your last,one day it will be
Cary and Don

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2013, 08:23:28 AM »

If you consider that any RV costs to maintain,  I don't think that the costs of the bus are as far out there as it seems.  Most RVs need  maintenance and repairs just like our buses.   One difference is with the RV is you probably can't work on it yourself.  And they have that value loss every year.  A bus engine might be expensive to fix or replace, but all engines are.  Your house requires some expensive maintenance and repairs,  but yet homeowners still choose to be homeowners.  If this is the way you choose to travel or live then the benefits out weigh the expenses.

Don and Cary

1973 05 Eagle
Neoplan AN340
belfert

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2013, 09:06:32 AM »

I rarely read of anyone blowing up an engine in a motorhome unless it is a older gasoline model with a 454.  I visit rv.net from time to time and it is fairly rare to hear about a diesel engine blowing up that wasn't a warranted failure.  There are a lot more users there than here.  Motorhomes rarely have over 100,000 miles on them.  There is almost nobody on this forum who owns a bus with less than 100,000 miles on it.

I'll bet I would have spent less on a used motorhome as far as maintenance goes then I have spent on my bus.  I probably would be in the group of having to park or scrap my bus if my Series 60 blows up.  I could possibly swing a rebuilt B500 transmissions if/when mine blows up. 

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
robertglines1
steam nut

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2013, 09:28:03 AM »

Brian; drive by a Cummins dealer. Here it seems like there is at least 1 in lot all the time. In Florida usually many.   Bob

belfert

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2013, 10:17:12 AM »

I still think percentage wise older buses have more engine problems.  I drive by the local Cummins dealership every time I go to Sam's Club.  There is often a motorhome or two there, but not always.  I almost always see a newer bus or two there getting something done.  I doubt they are all engine failures in any case.  They have two camping slots, but only seen them in use a time or two.  I suspect a lot of motorhomes are there to get Onan generators fixed rather than Cummins engines.

I bet a new bus would be no more likely than a new motorhome to need engine work.  Most of our buses tend to be older with more miles than motorhomes.

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
Dave5Cs

1979 MCI MC5Cs 6V-71 HT-740 Allison, Roseville, CA

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2013, 03:38:37 PM »

So then the real question is; Why do people buy a Bus if they either are not prepared for the cost or if they can not afford the repairs?
Is it the old it will never happen to mine attitude or just not doing their homework.

Dave5Cs

robertglines1
steam nut

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2013, 03:41:00 PM »

Brian; Not referring to the nice properly power cummins. Like Dave and others here have. There was /is a tendency to use Diesel Pusher and overwork some small ones. Have 3 friends that have them (to small for the load). I like what Dave (in his big motor home) and the guys have and are doing with the big ones in Buses also .Awesome! Enjoy the ride!! Happy busssin to all.   Bob

robertglines1
steam nut

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2013, 03:49:59 PM »

Dave; Your asking ME?" You get what you get and you don't throw a fit!"  Quote: Cash Carter D. My 5 yr old grandson.  Sort of the way you got to look at it.  If you let it ruin your health or life you just better walk away.   Bob   PS I did not say go into it blind!!

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: