Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
December 22, 2014, 05:30:51 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It will not turn yellow, get musty, dusty, and mildewed or fade.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Stupid problem: Electric wiper motor doesn't work anymore  (Read 712 times)
belfert

Ignore
« on: August 16, 2013, 06:18:59 PM »

I have electric wipers factory installed.  Intermittent never worked on driver's side and actually blew a fuse when used.  Problem seems to be in motor so I got a used motor off a crashed bus.

The stupid part comes in that the used motor didn't work when plugged in.  Plug badly corroded so I decided to swap the cover plate with cord and plug from the original motor.  Well, used motor still doesn't work with other cover plate from original motor.  So, I put the cover plate plate back on original motor.  Argh, now original motor doesn't work at any speed either!  This was probably a stupid move to swap the cover from a working motor.

Any ideas how to get a wiper motor working after removing and reattaching the cover plate?  Could I have screwed up the little wipers inside that make electrical contact?  I'll have to break down and spend the $150 for a new motor if I can't get this one working.

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
Ed Hackenbruch

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2013, 09:02:14 PM »

Brian, Scott Crosby on the other board is changing his air wipers over to electric and got a good price on them,....if you have to buy one maybe he can tell you where you can get a better price.

1968 MCI 5A with 8V71 and Allison MT644 transmission.  Western USA
belfert

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2013, 04:17:45 AM »

From a quick Google search, $150 isn't a bad price for a 24 volt wiper motor.  It probably isn't worth spending a bunch of time trying to find a generic one with the right shaft and spline size.

I would prefer getting one of my current wiper motors repaired if I can.

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
Lin

1965 MC-5a

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2013, 02:19:15 PM »

If you can't fix it yourself, how about an electric motor shop?

You don't have to believe everything you think.
robertglines1
steam nut

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2013, 02:32:39 PM »

Brian : back to basic--do you have power to brushes?    Check to make sure your arm is clear when in place(bearings holding centered)  Ck for broken wires/solder joints.  These are cks  you can do yourself. Shine contact area of brush up with fine emery/sandpaper. clean oil/grease off with elect contact cleaner/carb-brake cleaner will work.  dab of grease on bearings when you reassemble.    good luck.   Bob

Bob@Judy  98 XLE prevost with 3 slides --Home done---last one! SW INdiana
belfert

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2013, 06:14:08 PM »

Stupid in so many ways, but fixed now:

Original wiper motor worked just fine today, but I swear it didn't work at all the other day.  I tried intermittent and it worked fine until the fuse popped after about five minutes in the middle of a stroke.  I tried the replacement motor and realized the reason the replacement motor didn't work before is it grounds through the case.  Intermittent still blew a fuse as soon as I turned the ignition on.  I then unplugged the motor altogether and the fuse still blew.  It was coincidence before that the fuse quit blowing when I unplugged the motor.  (I have lots of 10 amp fuses!)

I decided to unplug one of the relays for the wipers on the electrical panel and the fuse quit blowing.  I put in a spare relay and everything works fine now.  The relay is shorted internally as some testing shows.  It seems like occasionally the relay would start working and then quit again.  I guess I now have a fully working spare wiper motor if I ever need one.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2013, 06:27:35 PM by belfert » Logged

belfert

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2013, 06:56:47 PM »

If you can't fix it yourself, how about an electric motor shop?

It turns out the issue was never with the motor, but I considered some places that can repair wiper motors before I found the real issue.  I wasn't sure it would be economical to repair the motor.  Most wiper motor repair places specialized in obsolete motors and I can still get a new one.  I have had a treadmill motor repaired at a motor shop once.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: