Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 31, 2014, 08:01:31 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This BB is intended for the sole purpose of sharing conversion and bus related information among visitors to our web site. These rules must be followed in order for us to continue this free exchange of info. No bad mouthing of any business or individual is permitted. Absolutely no items for sale are to be posted, except in the Spare Tire board. Interested in placing a classified or web ad, please contact our advertising dept. at 714-903-1784 or e-mail to: info@busconversions.com.

Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Stupid problem: Electric wiper motor doesn't work anymore  (Read 688 times)
belfert

Ignore
« on: August 16, 2013, 06:18:59 PM »

I have electric wipers factory installed.  Intermittent never worked on driver's side and actually blew a fuse when used.  Problem seems to be in motor so I got a used motor off a crashed bus.

The stupid part comes in that the used motor didn't work when plugged in.  Plug badly corroded so I decided to swap the cover plate with cord and plug from the original motor.  Well, used motor still doesn't work with other cover plate from original motor.  So, I put the cover plate plate back on original motor.  Argh, now original motor doesn't work at any speed either!  This was probably a stupid move to swap the cover from a working motor.

Any ideas how to get a wiper motor working after removing and reattaching the cover plate?  Could I have screwed up the little wipers inside that make electrical contact?  I'll have to break down and spend the $150 for a new motor if I can't get this one working.

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
Ed Hackenbruch

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2013, 09:02:14 PM »

Brian, Scott Crosby on the other board is changing his air wipers over to electric and got a good price on them,....if you have to buy one maybe he can tell you where you can get a better price.

1968 MCI 5A with 8V71 and Allison MT644 transmission.  Western USA
belfert

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2013, 04:17:45 AM »

From a quick Google search, $150 isn't a bad price for a 24 volt wiper motor.  It probably isn't worth spending a bunch of time trying to find a generic one with the right shaft and spline size.

I would prefer getting one of my current wiper motors repaired if I can.

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
Lin

1965 MC-5a

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2013, 02:19:15 PM »

If you can't fix it yourself, how about an electric motor shop?

You don't have to believe everything you think.
robertglines1
steam nut

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2013, 02:32:39 PM »

Brian : back to basic--do you have power to brushes?    Check to make sure your arm is clear when in place(bearings holding centered)  Ck for broken wires/solder joints.  These are cks  you can do yourself. Shine contact area of brush up with fine emery/sandpaper. clean oil/grease off with elect contact cleaner/carb-brake cleaner will work.  dab of grease on bearings when you reassemble.    good luck.   Bob

Bob@Judy  98 XLE prevost with 3 slides --Home done---last one! SW INdiana
belfert

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2013, 06:14:08 PM »

Stupid in so many ways, but fixed now:

Original wiper motor worked just fine today, but I swear it didn't work at all the other day.  I tried intermittent and it worked fine until the fuse popped after about five minutes in the middle of a stroke.  I tried the replacement motor and realized the reason the replacement motor didn't work before is it grounds through the case.  Intermittent still blew a fuse as soon as I turned the ignition on.  I then unplugged the motor altogether and the fuse still blew.  It was coincidence before that the fuse quit blowing when I unplugged the motor.  (I have lots of 10 amp fuses!)

I decided to unplug one of the relays for the wipers on the electrical panel and the fuse quit blowing.  I put in a spare relay and everything works fine now.  The relay is shorted internally as some testing shows.  It seems like occasionally the relay would start working and then quit again.  I guess I now have a fully working spare wiper motor if I ever need one.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2013, 06:27:35 PM by belfert » Logged

belfert

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2013, 06:56:47 PM »

If you can't fix it yourself, how about an electric motor shop?

It turns out the issue was never with the motor, but I considered some places that can repair wiper motors before I found the real issue.  I wasn't sure it would be economical to repair the motor.  Most wiper motor repair places specialized in obsolete motors and I can still get a new one.  I have had a treadmill motor repaired at a motor shop once.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: