Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
September 01, 2014, 04:27:20 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: The dog will not eat it.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Technomadia Update: Catastrophic air filter Failure - Cause or Effect?  (Read 5743 times)
eagle19952

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: June 22, 2013, 08:41:23 AM »

Maybe what they won't believe is that they need to check for proper fit and MAINTENANCE>>> Grin
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: June 22, 2013, 08:41:46 AM »

Kevin you are right I just replaced a turbo on 6.5 ate up from the dirt passed thru the K&N but we live in AZ plenty of dust to go around here huh me after doing a 8v92 with a K&N I would not walk across the street for one,

It cost Sean big time also a few years back in case people have forgot that read about his dusted 8v92 here

Life is short drink the good wine first
TexasBorderDude
Founder - Texas Curmudgeon Society

Nothing simple is ever easy...

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: June 22, 2013, 08:42:30 AM »

Shouldn't the intake on an 8v71 be at least 6"?

« Last Edit: June 22, 2013, 10:22:49 AM by TexasBorderDude » Logged

A curmudgeon's reputation for malevolence is undeserved. They're neither warped nor evil at heart. They don't hate mankind, just mankind's absurdities. They're just as sensitive and soft-hearted as the next guy, but they hide their vulnerability beneath a crust of misanthropy.
eagle19952

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: June 22, 2013, 08:45:49 AM »

Yeah, I should be careful not to bite the hand that feeds. I gets lots of work from them on pickups. Even when I show customers their turbo damage, They won't believe it was the air filter.

And tin cans and cell phones will never catch on... Grin

PS my 1976 Ford Bronco had 231,000 miles on it when I let a kid talk me out of it....had a K+N....
got a 1995 Tahoe you know the one with the throttle body injection...got 180000 on it.....has a K+N also....
My 1997 Jeep GC (gave it to a young gal with kids two years ago) 187000 miles on it...has a K+N
1982 Harley Davidson.....old low compression epa motor running oversized forged aluminium pistons at 10.1 Comp ratio since 1983......well over 100000 miles between overhauls.....guess what...sports a K+N filter...
I guess I got all the good ones.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2013, 08:55:19 AM by eagle19952 » Logged
Barn Owl
Roanoke, VA

PD4106-1063 "Wheezy Bus"

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: June 22, 2013, 09:45:01 AM »

My Suburban has 250k with a K&N. I admit I waited 100k to clean it, 2x the recommended interval. It had enough dirt at the intake that you couldn't see the pleats, and yet the indicator still was showing green (Yes, I know they can't be trusted). I live on a very long dirt driveway and my vehicles ingest a lot of dirt, filter changes for me just got to be excessive. Except for the occasional 1500 to 8500 mile trips, my bus is lucky to get 250 miles a year on it. I will be dead before it realizes it has K&Ns in it. I wish I could re-power it with a 6v92ta anyways, so attempting to make what is in there last 50+ additional years is not something I am going to sink $100 in air filters a year in. In addition, the PO had incorrectly modified the current filter set up, so when I took ownership it had already gobbled up a lot of dirt. But I don't loose any sleep over it because it still runs, and I am not afraid to cross Coal Mt. Pass with it (10,640ft). Also the dirtier filters get the more dirt they filter, so in short order they will be clogged just like the paper, but at least I can clean them. My bus is a survivor, not a queen, we have great fun with it. My money is better spent finding something better, something someone else has babied, and is willing to take a bath on their investment. It will all be a mute point with the Fed's collapse the economy with their out of control bond buying. We will all wish we stored food, and not played with buses.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2013, 09:49:28 AM by Barn Owl » Logged

L. Christley - W3EYE Amateur Extra
Blue Ridge Mountains, S.W. Virginia
Itís the education gained, and the ability to apply, and share, what we learn.
Have fun, be great, that way you have Great Fun!
eagle19952

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: June 22, 2013, 09:51:38 AM »

Being in SW bygaawd Virginia... Grin, my guess is that you, your family, your coach AND your K+N filters will all do well despite what Ben Bernanke may or may not have  up his sleeve......
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: June 22, 2013, 10:43:30 AM »

People buy an use what ever they think is best for the buck if K&N works for you by all means use it because it is your money and your vehicle 

I am still trying to figure out how K&N got into this lol   

A vendor at the FMCA rallies sold the K&N for years Donnie has pass away now but man he had a ton of law suits against him before he passed away and all he did was sell the filter

Zeroclearance

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: June 22, 2013, 10:54:49 AM »

I'm in the turbocharger "building" biz..   I LOVE snake oiled cotton filters..   FOD damage, dusted blade tips..   Packed intercoolers keep my business jumpin..   All fun at the expense of the folks that RUN em..   Yes, we know that there are special ones that leave the factory with the magic oil that require you never to replace them..   That's code words for never having to remove and clean them..   And then you put them on the driveway and hit em with a 2000 PSI pressure washer...

Since we are having such a great week with all the FUN threads..     Buyer beware..   It only takes that one dusty driveway and that hole in the cotton pleat that you blew thru with the pressure washer or air blower..   
azdieselman

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: June 22, 2013, 12:13:41 PM »

I stopped arguing with customers long ago. Run what you want. They and the other performance filter manufacturers cause plenty of issues with late model cars and trucks. It's been more than a few times that installing a factory air filter repaired the MIL.

1980 Mod 10
Barn Owl
Roanoke, VA

PD4106-1063 "Wheezy Bus"

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: June 22, 2013, 12:27:13 PM »

Being in SW bygaawd Virginia... Grin, my guess is that you, your family, your coach AND your K+N filters will all do well

This is a good place to survive if it does go bad.

Believe it or not I agree with the other posters and I know the pitfalls of the K&N filter, and I don't defend them. I have made my decision, with my eyes wide open, that will best suite my needs, and what will best suite even if it is not the absolute best their is. I don't have a turbo to sandblast on anything I own at this time, and if I got one I would reevaluate the situation. My wife drives the nicest car, I have no plans to run K&N in it.

L. Christley - W3EYE Amateur Extra
Blue Ridge Mountains, S.W. Virginia
Itís the education gained, and the ability to apply, and share, what we learn.
Have fun, be great, that way you have Great Fun!
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: June 22, 2013, 12:50:22 PM »

No turbo but a blower that will do some sandblasting on it's own lol

Don Fairchild

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: June 22, 2013, 02:10:08 PM »

Wow Chris that will mess up your whole day. haven't seen that in a long time. to bring this back on topic The cfm for a cummins isx 1800 rpm 400 hp 1063 cfm, 2000 rpm 600 hp 1227 cfm an 8V71N2300 rpm 314 hp 954 cfm hope that helps. I would size the air filter for 1200 cfm, That way you can run almost any injector you would want ( within reason )if some where down the line you wanted to change HP

Don
Iceni John

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: June 22, 2013, 04:07:24 PM »

Another way to possibly avoid a Big Problem is to be able to look inside the air filter.   My bus originally had an air inlet housing that prevented seeing inside the filter, so I instead made a quick-disconnect for it that allows me to easily remove the top housing and peer down into the guts of the filter.   This is how I found that my old filter had lots of small splits in its inner pleated surface  -  fortunately they hadn't split all the way through, so I don't think any unfiltered air got to the engine.   Obviously if the filter is split, the Filter Minder won't alert you:  it will still show everything is OK.   Just because a filter looks good on its outside doesn't always mean it's not damaged internally.   Just to be sure, I also did an oil analysis that showed no elevated silicate level.   (Mind you, it did show an elevated sodium level, but I've discovered the reason for that, and there's nothing to be worried about, I hope . . .)

Another idea  -  why not have a coarse screen on the filter's outlet to trap any large chunks if the filter's beginning to break up?

John

1990 Crown 2R-40N-552:  6V92TAC, DDEC II, HT740, Jake.      Hecho en Chino.     
Behind the Orange Curtain, SoCal.
eagle19952

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: June 22, 2013, 04:32:45 PM »

why not have a coarse screen on the filter's outlet to trap any large chunks if the filter's beginning to break up?

FWIW...
there was a coarse screen laying on top of every DD blower, under the air horn that I have ever taken apart...if it is not there I would want to know who when and why....if that info was recent and available.
Geoff

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: June 22, 2013, 04:44:38 PM »

The filter was too small, the P.O. should of bought a filter twice that size.  I may have more comments, but I have other posts to regard.

--Geoff

Geoff
'82 RTS AZ
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: