Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
September 02, 2014, 05:14:08 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: The dog will not eat it.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: No Horse in the Race--Just Wish to Correct a Misunderstanding  (Read 735 times)
Lin

1965 MC-5a

Ignore
« on: June 21, 2013, 04:45:56 PM »

What Len was doing was using the translation of a mock Latin saying, "Illegitimi non carborundum".  Which would mean, "Don't let the bastards grind you down." It is used as encouragement to keep clear minded under pressure.  I'm sure Len was not referring to anyone's parentage or meaning to insult anyone on the Board.  It's just a saying (although I do see the possibility of misunderstanding this if one is not familiar with the phrase)!  There is no need to take offense when none was intended.  John Boehner even has it on a plaque on his desk. Please see the Wikipedia link below.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Illegitimi_non_carborundum

You don't have to believe everything you think.
Geoff

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2013, 05:11:55 PM »

Sorry, Lin, but I am going to have Nick the refrig. man lock your post down.

You might be offensive to someone.

--Geoff
'82 RTS AZ

Geoff
'82 RTS AZ
Lin

1965 MC-5a

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2013, 05:35:32 PM »

Geoff, It goes without saying that I can be offensive.  I can hardly stand being alone with myself!  However, it happens that the Latin phrase mentioned is one of my favorites along with, "Nabisco Shreddus Wheatam", and "Terracotta Deficatorium". 

You don't have to believe everything you think.
Len Silva

Angle Parked in a Parallel Universe

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2013, 05:41:54 PM »

I really meant no offense and was just trying to pass on some encouragement.  I'm profoundly sorry if my post offended anyone and/or caused the lockdown.

BTW, I waas thinking more of the Kristofferson song
Don't Let The Bastards Get You Down - Kris Kristofferson

Hand Made Gifts

Ignorance is only bliss to the ignorant.
technomadia

Zephyr - 1961 GM PD-4106-446

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2013, 05:43:09 PM »

I don't know if others flagged the thread or not, but Len's post was NOT the response we flagged to alert the moderators.  We totally got what he was saying, knew he was not singling anyone out and appreciated the support and pep-talk.

The post we flagged was when what seemed like someone's personal business was drug into the conversation. We did not feel it was relevant to the conversation.. and not knowing the people involved and their history together, couldn't tell if it was friendly poking or not. Either way, we didn't feel it was necessary for the topic of the thread.

- Cherie

Cherie and Chris / www.technomadia.com
Full-time 'Technomads' since 2006 (technology enabled nomads)
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2013, 06:06:44 PM »

It is really not that big of a deal to me with Len he is a gentlemen in my books we never agree on politics and never will so I like to dig at him and he does the same to me I took no offense Len.

Cherie heard today you guys have settled on plan that's good just remember what they gave is a estimate and estimate only keep the purse strings tight

Life is short drink the good wine first
TexasBorderDude
Founder - Texas Curmudgeon Society

Nothing simple is ever easy...

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2013, 09:00:41 PM »

Dan, I accept your apology.  All is forgiven.

Smiley

A curmudgeon's reputation for malevolence is undeserved. They're neither warped nor evil at heart. They don't hate mankind, just mankind's absurdities. They're just as sensitive and soft-hearted as the next guy, but they hide their vulnerability beneath a crust of misanthropy.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: