Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
September 30, 2014, 03:08:19 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: By clicking on any ad, a hotlink takes you directly to the advertiserís website.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Turbo Oil Leak  (Read 654 times)
wagwar

Ignore
« on: June 22, 2013, 10:07:32 AM »

Hi,

We're having a great trip out east and are currently in upstate NY in Elmira at the National Antique Oldsmobile Club annual meet. Lots of gorgeous antique Olds here. The bus is running great and you can catch up on our blog at www.mightybus.wordpress.com

However, that is not the reason for this post. I noticed some oil seeping out from under the large clamp on the exhaust side (left hand side) of my turbo. It is not dripping, but just a small seepage. Should I be concerned? Should I just try tightening the clamp? 

The engine is not using any appreciable oil, we have good power, no heating issues. MCI MC 9, 6V92T.

I don't have a way to send pics yet, but will do so if needed.

Thanks in advance for your input.

luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2013, 10:24:57 AM »

Sorry to say that is not from the turbo but the engine maybe to much idling ?

Life is short drink the good wine first
azdieselman

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2013, 12:26:39 PM »

It is most likely fuel. Are you getting any smoke?

1980 Mod 10
wagwar

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2013, 02:04:55 PM »

Not sure how much idling is too much idling, but we're not doing any more than usual - although some at the border crossings, at the dump station. I'm not seeing any smoke, but occasionally under load I'll see some black smoke. If I get off the throttle just a little, it quits immediately. The auto trans makes keeping the revs up more difficult I think. 

azdieselman

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2013, 04:00:08 PM »

I would suggest that you monitor it. Check it after a good hot run. It may well be dry. If it stays wet or gets worse, I would have it looked at, Could be the beginning of an injector failure. Your smoke level sounds right, If it fails to clear up, That's another sign of a problem.

1980 Mod 10
Geoff

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2013, 04:49:47 PM »

There is a great possibilty your air filter is clogged up.  When you have too much restriction in the air intake the turbo will suck out out the exhaust.

--Geoff

Geoff
'82 RTS AZ
azdieselman

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2013, 05:20:12 PM »

A restricted air intake would cause the engine to smoke quite heavily.

1980 Mod 10
wagwar

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2013, 05:42:11 PM »

It is definitely oil not diesel. Air filter and gauge are new (WIX) as of < 1000 miles - as is oil, filters, lubrication, brake adjustment, etc.

luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2013, 05:53:08 PM »

Clean the air box drain check valves it is part of the 100,000 mile maintenance

Life is short drink the good wine first
azdieselman

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2013, 06:00:46 PM »

Fuel will pickup the soot and turn dark black. Sometimes it's hard to tell oil from fuel without dye and a blacklight. As Clifford said, Check the airbox drains. Look carefully at the exhaust manifold to cylinder head joint, You may see some build up there, That would help indentify a specific cylinder.

1980 Mod 10
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: