Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
September 30, 2014, 09:10:36 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: You will not have to go out in the rain, sleet, hail, or snow to retrieve it.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mini Split  (Read 1939 times)
Lee Bradley

Ignore
« on: June 22, 2013, 02:32:04 PM »

Now that they are in the bus and making cold air.  I thought I would share a little.

First when they arrive, inspect the units.  Especially if the box looks like this.

Looked like a 6x6" post hit it square on. Right on the manifold assembly of the compressor; that unit went right back on the truck.

Company said they were out of stock, in country, of the model and they would drop ship me one from the next shipment from overseas. We've
all heard that one before .... I had a new unit the next week.  Good company.

« Last Edit: June 22, 2013, 02:38:47 PM by Lee Bradley » Logged
Lee Bradley

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2013, 02:50:59 PM »

This is the copper lines coming up from the basement, through the utility wall and back to the bedroom closet. The drain line going through the closet floor
into the engine bay; same route the OTR system drain used. The shelf in front of the evaporator unit splits the warm air and cold output so as to reduce
short circuiting the air flow in that box.

Lee Bradley

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2013, 02:59:19 PM »

More copper lines added to the utility wall (wall is between the kitchen and bathroom) and forward to the kitchen/living-room and driver's unit. Back side of those units and the kitchen/living-room unit mounted.
Lee Bradley

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2013, 03:12:44 PM »

Compressor unit in the basement, located in the old middle door opening. It is mounted using the factory feet and I attached the top to the bus frame with
a piece of SS I broke and screwed to the unit and frame.  With copper line, I want as little movement as possible. I also attached the lines to each other
several times to reduce vibration. You can see the engine to hot water system heat exchanger.

Zeroclearance

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2013, 03:17:47 PM »

Lee, your install looks great!   2 Ton Sanyo multi unit system?  Did you get the DC inverter model?  The rear shelf looks good.   
Lee Bradley

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2013, 03:32:35 PM »

Started the system yesterday and all the units worked very well and I can't believe how quiet they are on high speed and I can't hear them on 'Quiet' mode
but with my hearing ....
Then there is a sound like a model A on gravel road. I figure something has already broken and the noise stops and I start out of the bus to shut things down when in the kitchen it starts again; in a cabinet!? A condensate pump is running just sitting on bare wood. Pretty small problem. So here is the pump
and it's reservoir, the clear plastic line is the discharge line that goes to the front of the bus to a shared drain with the driver's unit and a vacuum break.
Also a photo of the bedroom unit with it run light on.

Enough today.
Lee

Lee Bradley

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2013, 03:34:58 PM »

It is the Inverter Model. 24,000 BTU as I remember.
Oonrahnjay

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2013, 10:49:11 AM »

It is the Inverter Model. 24,000 BTU as I remember. 

What's the voltage and amp draw, please, Lee?  Thanks.

Bruce H; Wallace (near Wilmington) NC
1976 Daimler (British) Double-Decker Bus; 34' long
6-cyl, 4-stroke, Leyland O-680 engine

(New Email -- brucebearnc@ (theGoogle gmail place) .com)
Lee Bradley

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2013, 11:04:27 AM »

It is a 230/208 volt unit and listed 11.3 amps max and 13 amps with compressor rotor locked but I have done run draws yet.  Being an Inverter model, I am expecting lower draws than the max. So that works out to about 2500 watts I figure my Trace 4024 can power it through a step-up transformer.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2013, 12:56:13 PM by Lee Bradley » Logged
Seangie
www.herdofturtles.org

And We're Off... Like a Herd of Turtles

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2013, 09:37:33 PM »

Lee -

Another edit -  mini split is still working, generator died. See later post.  

An edit to my original post below.  My mini - split compressor unit burnt out last night.  Had it installed and working for 2 whole days.  I think air-flow was what contributed to the failure.  None the less my mini-split project is now over....sadly.  looking for roof AC now.  Sorry all.  Lee -  I hope you have better success than I did.  -Sean
------------------------
Great stuff!  I finally got my mine installed and working this past week.   Just in the nick of time as we are full time on the bus now.

Here is some of my story -  

Same as you, my first shipment was destroyed.  Sent it back and they no longer made the unit so they refunded me the purchase and shipping.  Great customer service.  So I ordered from them again.   The second shipment had a different model indoor unit than outdoor unit. I called and asked about compatability and they said it wouldn't be an issue.  After installing it was an issue so I called again and they said this time that they were not compatable, stopped making these models as well and refunded my money, again.  Third time I went with a different company.

Im not an AC guy and Getting an AC guy to test lines and vaccum was a bit challenging.  Contractors tended to be sketchy about doing the work.  Had to find the right kind of person to step in and help. (One guy wanted me to pull a permit?)

Make sure you wrap those lines!  Your going to get a ton of condensation if you don't and it will make a big mess.  Plus the liquid line will start to evaporate before it gets the evaporator.  Make sure you have your evap units at a slightly steeper angle for the drain so that water in the tray doesn't slosh all over as you are driving.  It can make a mess.  I never realized how much water comes off these units.

Put a hole in the floor behind your AC condensing unit -  make sure its at least as big as tahe fan in cubic inches plus 10% or so -

It will get very warm in that bay and on a hot day the condensing unit may overheat.  I am going to probably put an additional auxiliary fan in the hole to help when we are parked.  Seems to work good going down the road though.

Its been very challenging but fun and I have learned a lot!  I would do it again. I suggest using a good 24k dual zone unit for front and very back and a single 9 or 12k that runs on 110 for the middle.  This will allow you to have something if only 30 amps are available.  I can imagine with a good sized battery bank and the right equipment you might be able to run a 110v system of a quality inverter.

Ill post some pics of the install at a later date.  Too busy now to get into it. Ask lots of questions.  My system is a Midea 24k dual zone system that runs on 220v with a 12 amp pull on a 25amp breaker.

-Sean

www.herdofturtles.org
1984 Eagle Model 10S

'Cause you know we,
we live in a van (Eagle 10 Suburban)
Driving through the night
To that old promised land'
Gordie Allen

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2013, 06:39:54 AM »

I have the condenser and evaporator units installed.  Condensers are in the driver's side screened bay (4104), so plenty of air coming in and going out.  Found the right guy to do the hookup.  Mine is two 9000 btu units.  110v, inverter type.  Heats and cools.  Hooking it up next week!

Augusta, MI
1956 4104
DD 671
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2013, 08:16:21 AM »

I realize that using one large condenser with 3 evaporators takes less space. But-if that single compressor takes a dump, then no A/C. This is why most install multiple independent A/C's. Hopefully you won't find that out though. Good luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2013, 08:42:58 AM »

If it where me and it is not I would wait for Bob to hit the road in his Prevost and let him work the bugs out he will get it done,

The ones I have been around do not like dirty electricity from a generator and most have been replaced with roof tops 

They are new to the buse world so there will be some set backs but I would not rush out and buy the split till someone like Bob has proven those to work on a moving object JMO the pro conversion guys shy away for some reason and some have tried it fwiw

Life is short drink the good wine first
technomadia

Zephyr - 1961 GM PD-4106-446

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2013, 09:11:18 AM »

My mini - split compressor unit burnt out last night.  Had it installed and working for 2 whole days.  I think air-flow was what contributed to the failure.  None the less my mini-split project is now over....sadly.  looking for roof AC now.  Sorry all.  Lee

Oh my - what a horrible disappointment after all that work.

Last summer I researched the options for roof airs - the new Coleman Mach 8 is the best option out there at the moment. The 15,000 btu version actually uses less power than the 13,5000 btu version, making it a great upgrade for anyone (like us) who runs a roof air off of an inverter and is thus power constrained.

Good luck! And stay cool!

- Chris

Cherie and Chris / www.technomadia.com
Full-time 'Technomads' since 2006 (technology enabled nomads)
robertglines1
steam nut

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2013, 09:23:42 AM »

MCI8tin tent has his on road for over 5yrs. He is a friend and hvac guy. I copied from his and from advice from Nick B.    Dwayne is a long time friend ,neighbor and busnut. His condser units are mounted in the bay of a MCI and do use a box fan for to help with circulation. The rate I'm advancing I might burn out on the project before completing. ::that is just SW Indiana temp talking--I just came down from AC from one unit inside coach was 68F/ 90F outside and about 90 humidity. Not happy weather.  All before me shared basic: keep everything mounted tight. Insulated well. keep it clean.  keep air moving around condenser.  Heat rises. don't recirculate your discharge air from your condenser back thru your unit. Clean power is a must. I will post what I learn my self. Can make one statement for sure.  Big difference between Inverter type and non on start up load. I have one non inverter type and it will dim lights(high amp draw) on start up. The other two units are inverter and lights on the same circuit never change. I have inverter type in my home now!

Bob@Judy  98 XLE prevost with 3 slides --Home done---last one! SW INdiana
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: