Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
July 24, 2014, 10:48:49 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: 500 Members as of May 5th, 2006.  Smiley  3,499 Members as of October 21, 2012 Cheesy

Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Interesting article on oils  (Read 329 times)
Lin

1965 MC-5a

Ignore
« on: June 24, 2013, 06:21:55 PM »

From this article, one can see that there could be a benefit to using a multigrade oil even in a DD.  However, don't forget to read the part on Drawbacks of Viscosity Improving Additives used in multigrades so you get the whole picture.

http://www.upmpg.com/tech_articles/motoroil_viscosity/index.html

You don't have to believe everything you think.
bevans6

1980 MCI MC-5C

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2013, 09:31:32 AM »

What they are suggesting, and as far as I know it's actually true, is that Group IV synthetics ("true" synthetics) can meet multi-grade testing standards for cold and warm viscosity without having viscosity improvers.  Which makes them technically single grade/multi grade at the same time.  If they have the ash requirements, resistance to high temperatures, coking up the piston ring resistance, etc, needed for two stroke diesels I don't have a clue.  It is true that multigrades that do have some types of viscosity improves do degrade to their base level which is usually the cold viscosity when the additives degrade, and they are some of the same additives that burn out as ash.  For me this would only be relevant if I had to start the bus engine regularly at cold temps and didn't have access to power to heat the oil.  I don't have that situation, so I don't have to make a decision to run multi-grade oil.

Brian

1980 MCI MC-5C, 8V-71T from a M-110 self propelled howitzer
Spicer 8844 4 speed Zen meditation device
Vintage race cars -
1978 Lola T440 Formula Ford
1972 NTM MK-4 B/SR
Lin

1965 MC-5a

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2013, 10:01:03 AM »

I found it interesting that a 40wt basically stays 40wt, which is what I would want.  My cars though have multigrade and, although my generator manual recommends 30wt, I have considered multigrades there.

You don't have to believe everything you think.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: