Bus Conversion Magazine Bulletin Board
June 19, 2018, 09:13:30 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It will not get torn up or crushed if you back over it with your bus.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: deisel gen  (Read 5078 times)
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2013, 07:29:07 PM »

Another satisfied customer  Roll Eyes has left the building
« Last Edit: June 26, 2013, 07:47:12 PM by luvrbus » Logged

Life is short drink the good wine first
muldoonman
1991 Prevost 8V92TA

1991 Prevost 8V92TA

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2013, 08:09:05 PM »

James, Didn't mean a thing about the wiring. If you like it , I like it. The way I do things I would hang um the first time I raised the door. Must be something in the water Cliff! No harm, No foul!
niles500
Niles500

ROSIE

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2013, 08:51:35 PM »

Luvr - is right about Martin on BOTH counts

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")  

- Niles
wg4t50

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2013, 02:39:20 AM »

Cat Generators are powered with the Perkins engine, Cat bought Perkinsa few years  ago, as for the Cat generator, they would be from Ireland, FW Wilson, or Generac, Cat does not make the engine as such, nor the generator package.

As for the Marathon Pancake, they come either brush or brushless, your choice, I ran one 12 kw brushless over 6 k hrs, not an issue with a Perkins 1.5L 3 cyl Diesel.  I built my own setup, bought engine, pancake, this was befor Marathon got it, built the frame/mounts/isolation and controls.  Then mounted the radiator in the center, under the walk way, used a jeep radiator ? and a 1/3 hp fan, pulled air in under ahead of radiator, discharged out the back. worked well, fairly quiet, biggest problem was driving thru a grass field, picking up the weeds & grass, and it getting stuck in the radiator, had to blow it out twice in 15 years.

Onan & noise, Yes Onan built a 2 cylinder 7.5 kw, the JB model, they were great, but made so much noise one hoped it would blow up. that was the design from the early 50's, the newer units are good, not idiot proof, but treated like family, they do great.

Mostly except for my opinion on the Generac, most units from outfits like Martin, Wrico, Power Tech are fine, my issue is they use some crap  for generator ends, from off shore outfits.  Oh, my opinion about Generac, they are right up there with the Yugo/Hugo junk, No one buys the 2nd.
 Grin

MCI7 20+ Yrs
Foretravel w/ISM500
WG4T CW for ever.
Central Virginia
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2013, 06:17:27 AM »

CAt  separated from Generac years back and Cat has a plant in Seguin Tx to build those engines fwiw been there,the heads I have no idea but I ask a guy I know at  Empire that assembles some models of Cat generators not the babies like the RV type real generators

Life is short drink the good wine first
wg4t50

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2013, 07:04:11 AM »

Not 100% true, Cat & Generac are still haveing sex, not as much as in past, but it is very clear when you see a new Generator with the Olympian name, Cat backed.  They also are in bed with FW Wilson (I think it is) an Irish outfit, and yes Cat has big generators, we get into them up to 1.8 mw frequently too.
But it seems in the smaller puppies, Cat uses the Perkins named engnines, with the Cat logo. Guess that is to indicate it is great, Cat has /had a great  rep, but in some circles it is becoming a lesser desired product.
Having worked for Cat on generators 30 years ago, I like Cat, but would never buy one, best place I ever worked by the time clock.
Glad I moved on.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2013, 12:09:33 PM by wg4t50 » Logged

MCI7 20+ Yrs
Foretravel w/ISM500
WG4T CW for ever.
Central Virginia
belfert

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2013, 07:31:09 AM »

As for the Marathon Pancake, they come either brush or brushless, your choice, I ran one 12 kw brushless over 6 k hrs, not an issue with a Perkins 1.5L 3 cyl Diesel.  I built my own setup, bought engine, pancake, this was befor Marathon got it, built the frame/mounts/isolation and controls.  Then mounted the radiator in the center, under the walk way, used a jeep radiator ? and a 1/3 hp

I guess I should have said I don't like the pancake head I have.  It seems like the main reason Powertech used it was for space savings.  There doesn't seem to be any other brushless head that will fit in the same space.  It may have been cheaper too, but I don't know on that.

I bought a packaged unit from Powertech with the enclosure and everything because I was under the gun for time when I got it so I wanted something plug and play.  I also have limited space and it would be hard to remote mount the radiator in my bus.

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
kwidd

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2013, 08:46:03 AM »

I have a Universal "Silent Partner" 12 KW marine generator that I was going to install in my conversion. Plans have changed so I need to sell it. It has the water cooled manifold and remote radiator. It has 2100 hrs on it. Powered by a v1509 Kubota engine and it runs great. If interested give me a call @ eight zero one 391 9214 Kent
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: