Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 02, 2014, 07:43:38 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: It will not get torn up or crushed if you back over it with your bus.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: And there it was ...  (Read 2140 times)
boxcarOkie

Ignore
« on: June 24, 2013, 06:52:08 AM »

We are using the Internet wrong. Smartphones turn people into horrible listeners. And cat videos aren't as riveting as we think they are.  These are just some of the revelations I’ve had during a half-year of self-imposed exile from the Internet and bus boards in general.

Standing on the back of the ferryboat as she plowed the waters of Pugent Sound, I pondered my plight in life.  Which included the Existential and introspective. I really have learned a lot about myself. I did have a lot of free time, but a lot of it was loneliness and boredom in ways that I hadn't really experienced before.

Early on that was a real inspiration.

There were times I would realize my mind was in really cool places, having thought processes that are hard to have when you're on the Internet and the same news and information cycle as everybody else. I read some books I would have never read, and wrote some stuff I would have never written.

I was a little bit out of the loop, in a good way, and I really enjoyed that. But it was really easy to sink in on myself and be withdrawn from people because it was just a little harder to get a hold of people, a little harder to make plans, and a little easier for me to just hide from the world and stay in my home and play video games.

So rolling it over in my mind I ask myself this question ... “Did you accomplish most of what you set out to do?”

I had these goals for this year, y’know, what I wanted to do. Read X number of books and write a first draft of my novel. This was my chance. I'm never going to have this much free time in my entire life, and so it was really hard at the end of the year to say I didn't do all those things.

Lifting my head and staring up at the sky, I silently thought to myself “Lord, I have $10,000 should I buy a bus?”

And there it was ........

Just think how neat it will be when the finally get around to legalizing smoke ... that will really make all this cool.  Now play nice everyone, share, be good, it is after all, only Monday.

BCO
« Last Edit: June 24, 2013, 06:54:56 AM by boxcarOkie » Logged

usbusin

'60 PD4104-4355(sold) Now Freightliner Conversion

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2013, 07:07:01 AM »

Now I know why you have an Eagle!  A beautiful picture and a message from God!

Gary D

USBUSIN was our 1960 PD4104 for 16 years Ustruckin' is our 2001 Freightliner truck conversion
boxcarOkie

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2013, 03:31:56 PM »

Now I know why you have an Eagle!  A beautiful picture and a message from God!

Bird of Paradise?

heh-heh

BCO

Van
Billy Van Hagen

89' Silver Eagle 15/40 6V92MUI Boulder City,NV

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2013, 04:44:18 PM »

Here I thought I was using the wrong internet Wink  Grin Nice picture by the way Don. Gotta run now so I can meet Doyle in town and give him Clifford's bag of broken Apple lol!

If you are not living on the edge, then you're takin' up too much space!!!
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2013, 04:54:00 PM »

You  know how to hurt a guy Van lol I am still upset with Apple over that deal a bag of broken Apple I will get you for that

good luck and thanks a bunch

Life is short drink the good wine first
Van
Billy Van Hagen

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2013, 05:25:30 PM »

Don't worriy Clifford I told Sonja about the What For I gave the guy at the Apple store @ the Fashion Show mall about the repair estimate lol!
 Oh! I just met with TBD, there was an unmarked Boulder City PO behind the Doylester with his code 3's on as I pulled up in front, no cuff's were on him  Grin
  I did see some sort of funny secret hand shake and nodding of heads and the PO went on his way. He must hold some kinda clout (Bankers, go figure! Grin) in these parts lol!  

« Last Edit: June 24, 2013, 05:36:45 PM by Van » Logged

niles500
Niles500

ROSIE

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2013, 11:15:24 PM »

Now I see it's an  Iggle conspiracy - I saw a Prevost Vantare in the sky the other day - but I'm not at liberty to divulge its location - I hear its headed to Venezuela -  Roll Eyes

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")  

- Niles
TexasBorderDude
Founder - Texas Curmudgeon Society

Nothing simple is ever easy...

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2013, 10:26:13 AM »

snip...
 Oh! I just met with TBD, there was an unmarked Boulder City PO behind the Doylester with his code 3's on as I pulled up in front, no cuff's were on him  Grin....

I just told him, he'd never take me alive... and he said "That's just the way we like it!"

A curmudgeon's reputation for malevolence is undeserved. They're neither warped nor evil at heart. They don't hate mankind, just mankind's absurdities. They're just as sensitive and soft-hearted as the next guy, but they hide their vulnerability beneath a crust of misanthropy.
Van
Billy Van Hagen

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2013, 04:53:10 PM »

Doyle it was good to see ya again yesterday, sorry it was not a fruitful trip for you, well aside for the broken apple  Grin forgot to ask how Coffee is doing though. Give em a pat on the head for us Wink

Van

boxcarOkie

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2013, 05:02:23 PM »

Okay Gunner, people in the know, want to know .... "Doyle it was good to see ya again yesterday, sorry it was not a fruitful trip for you"

What dat mean?  The pistons didn't fit or sumpthin. 

BCO

boxcarOkie

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2013, 05:05:10 PM »

Now I see it's an  Iggle conspiracy - I saw a Prevost Vantare in the sky the other day - but I'm not at liberty to divulge its location - I hear its headed to Venezuela Roll Eyes

They say that is where the really cheap fuel is right now.  I am holding out for a tree house in Belize and a diet of bannas.

BCO

luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2013, 05:44:28 PM »

No such thing as a non fruitful trip to Vegas that is the land of the breakfast,lunch and dinner buffets, parts not so good  Roll Eyes

John316

MCI 1995 DL3, DD S60, Allison B500.

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2013, 05:47:18 PM »

No such thing as a non fruitful trip to Vegas that is the land of the breakfast,lunch and dinner buffets, parts not so good  Roll Eyes

Come on, Clifford. What happened to your bag of Apple? (Love it, btw. Will be reused!)

MCI 1995 DL3. DD S60 with a Allison B500.
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2013, 05:53:25 PM »

The screen went black and Apple wanted 800 bucks to fix a year old computer only out of warranty a few weeks really ticked me off so much I won't use the I phone I am going to me a phone from the Dollar General Store that will show em  Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: June 25, 2013, 06:09:47 PM by luvrbus » Logged

TexasBorderDude

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2013, 06:07:03 PM »

Okay Gunner, people in the know, want to know .... "Doyle it was good to see ya again yesterday, sorry it was not a fruitful trip for you"

What dat mean?  The pistons didn't fit or sumpthin.  

BCO

Don, I've been having one helluva time getting the pistons in the liners but I've spared the board all the details.  Once I get 'er done  I'm gonna need your help to write it up as a how to book on a 8v71 rebuild.

« Last Edit: June 25, 2013, 07:12:45 PM by TexasBorderDude » Logged

A curmudgeon's reputation for malevolence is undeserved. They're neither warped nor evil at heart. They don't hate mankind, just mankind's absurdities. They're just as sensitive and soft-hearted as the next guy, but they hide their vulnerability beneath a crust of misanthropy.
rv_safetyman

Jim Shepherd

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2013, 07:07:32 PM »

Don, I've been having one helluva time getting the pistons in the liners but I've spared the board all the details.  Once I get 'er done  I'm gonna need your help to write it up as a dime novel that we can sell on Amazon a la C&C  Grin

Is this kind of crap really necessary?

Chris and Cherie write about things that they have a very good knowledge about and try their best to offer their knowledge to folks who might want information on that subject. In some cases they are doing the testing for technology we might want to use in the future (for example lithium batteries):  http://www.technomadia.com/2011/10/lithium-update-2-the-promise-of-lithium-rv-batteries/.  They research the latest technology in Internet for the road (and write what you term as a "dime novel" about their research).

They seem to have become the brunt of a lot of "cheap shots" the last week or two.  I, for one, am tired of folks poking fun of their effort to try to gather as much information about their engine problem.  Their threads may seem funny to some of you, but, before the threads went to hell, they offered good thoughts for folks that may face the same problem in the future.

Just another case where this kind of crap has probably driven off another good source of information.

Jim

Jim Shepherd
Evergreen, CO
’85 Eagle 10/Series 60/Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission
Somewhere between a tin tent and a finished product
Bus Project details: http://beltguy.com/Bus_Project/busproject.htm
Blog:  http://rvsafetyman.blogspot.com/
TexasBorderDude

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2013, 07:11:45 PM »

Whoa, whoa,  I meant nothing of a sort.  I will amend my post immediately.

rv_safetyman

Jim Shepherd

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2013, 07:22:42 PM »

Thanks Doyle.  I was really surprised to see the comment.  Didn't sound like something you would say.

My hackles have been ruffled this past couple of weeks with all the "stuff" going on - on the two boards.  Humor is one thing, but some of the things going on are not at all funny.  Running Chris and Cherie off was the tip of the iceberg.

I wish with all my might that I could just let it roll off my back, but I just hate to think about what the new folks to these boards must think.  When someone gets blasted for welcoming a newcomer, that just makes my skin crawl.

As a group, we have a lot to offer new folks.  We can pick them up when they stumble.  We can keep them from making the same mistakes we made.  What we can't seem to do is to act like the friendly people we really are.

Jim

Jim Shepherd
Evergreen, CO
TexasBorderDude

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2013, 07:26:17 PM »

Jim,

I would have much preferred that you had pm'd me to ask what I meant and I'd have gladly modified the post so no one would misunderstand, but you choose to throw it right out there in public, which doesn't seem to accomplish your stated goal of a positive board, living in a world of extensive knowledge, in peace and harmony and totally politically correct.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2013, 07:48:39 PM by TexasBorderDude » Logged

rv_safetyman

Jim Shepherd

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2013, 07:30:32 PM »

Doyle, you make a good point.  

While my comment seemed aimed at you, it was really aimed at a lot of folks.  I apologize that I took it out on you.

It doesn't help that I hate the PM process.

Jim

BTW, it sounds like it was your engine that had a bad rebuild and you and Clifford are redoing.  I hope that you guys will document what was wrong with the first engine.  That could save folks a lot of heartache. 

Again, my apologies.  I really need to get a handle on my emotions.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2013, 07:35:42 PM by rv_safetyman » Logged

Jim Shepherd
Evergreen, CO
TexasBorderDude

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2013, 07:34:29 PM »

snip... Running Chris and Cherie off was the tip of the iceberg.

Jim

Jim, tell me what to re-read in that thread, but the only thing I recall (could be wrong, please correct) that could never be considered a joke by anyone, was a misuse of the term "bastards" and a blatant personal attack on me.  If the standard is that everyone must think the humor is "funny" or it can not be posted, is a very high bar to attain.

TexasBorderDude

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2013, 07:45:08 PM »

snip...
BTW, it sounds like it was your engine that had a bad rebuild and you and Clifford are redoing.  I hope that you guys will document what was wrong with the first engine.  That could save folks a lot of heartache. 

Thanks for the comment.

Yes, the engine was totally redone by the po less than 50k miles ago, but a miriad of issues and some big name outfits who serviced it since (they'll remain nameless, but I have some tips on how to avoid).  It's been blowing black smoke for since 2008 and only this spring did I take Clifford up on his offer to help me get it fixed.  Fortunately he's let me do a lot of the work and I've made lots of mistakes along the way, but have documented much of it with pictures like the oil rings shown above.  I plan to do a write up for anyone who's interested to review.

rv_safetyman

Jim Shepherd

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2013, 07:47:32 PM »

Doyle, our messages passed in the wind.

YOU did not run C&C off.  Repeat, it was not you.  Hell, maybe they still are planning on posting.

Unfortunately, you made a comment that seemed to add to the negative comments and it just hit me the wrong way.

What ran them off (if indeed, that is the case) were the various  threads that were related to their engine failure.  Each thread started off pretty well.  They got lots of good input from lots of folks.  Knowing them they did a lot of analysis of the input they got.  Then, the tide started to turn.  First folks started second guessing how they were going about their "troubleshooting" process.  That morphed into folks almost taking them to task on their process.  Then folks started making what some might classify as "humorous" comments about their process.  Some folks seemed very upset that they did not follow the posters recommendations.  Unfortunately, you were dragged into the shower of X%&*# that followed (comment about free labor or something like that).

Chris and Cherie have very good heads on their shoulders.  It is always easy to second guess how they are going about resolution of their problem.  None of us has the full benefit of their thinking.  They are in the position of being able to resolve their problem without cutting corners.   Each of us might approach their situation differently, and we should respect their approach.  If they screw up, they will (I hope) give us the benefit of second guessing themselves.

Jim
« Last Edit: June 25, 2013, 08:00:10 PM by rv_safetyman » Logged

Jim Shepherd
Evergreen, CO
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2013, 08:01:57 PM »

Jim, one question since when do we need your permission here to post I know I pissed you off about Chris and Cherie but the thing turned into a soap opera it was no help to anyone  

To me personally I think it did more harm than good most people that own a 8000 dollar bus try and fix it the best they can on limited funds they don't have 20+ grand to throw at a bus that was the part I didn't like as they kept saying it over and over in one way or the other  

Hell I would not spend 20 grand on a $20,000 bus, anybody if they have the fund can take it to a shop  

Then you have a owner like Mike aka Red Ryder he gave 500 bucks for a engine that is probably just as good as the one they are paying 20 grand for that is the type information people need not all the drama of engine rebuild at a dealer and I can picture you spending 20 grand on engine rebuild lol

You can thank Don Fairchild for bringing them down from the sky the 35,000 + he quoted for the upgradde made both stop and think is worth it hell no all the posting just cost a week of their time

We live in a different world now days the younger generation likes the photos,drama facebook all the details in blogs and books, then you have my generation that don't give a rats @$# just fix the damn thing and go down the road for another 10 years  

There it is guys fire away that is just the way I feel

usbusin

'60 PD4104-4355(sold) Now Freightliner Conversion

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: June 25, 2013, 08:06:52 PM »

You can go to their blog (Chris & Cherie) and see what they are doing.

www.technomadia.com

Gary D

USBUSIN was our 1960 PD4104 for 16 years Ustruckin' is our 2001 Freightliner truck conversion
TexasBorderDude

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: June 25, 2013, 08:15:58 PM »

Jim,

I'll give you the last word on this subject, because I will post no more on this thread.  I never though you meant that I had driven C&C off.  In fact it was news to me that they had been "driven off" by anyone or anything.  Because someone has not posted doesn't indicate that someone is "off"

Now... "You GSO#'s I'm outta here" might indicate that.

I can only assume that the reason C&C ever came to this board, was to avail themselves of the expertise of its participants.  They are free to accept or reject any and all input.  No one has the right to challenge the right of another to his own opinion.  One can point out flaws, opposite perspective, etc.  Remember we're not talking to our children when advise means "Do this, because I'm dad"

C&C were certainly free to do whatever they choose, but I believe were selective with what information they shared... which, again, is everyone's right.  I don't want to take too much credit, but it seems to have gone south when I joked about that 4106 over there worth $7,000 and having $40k in it.  I actually had a Porsche 911 like that once!

I for one would like to see some suggestions, if not "Rules" for the board that:
1.  No direct addressing of any member in a post unless it pertains to the original thread, and is as a result of someone else's post.  (BCO did ask about my trip to Las Vegas in this, HIS thread.)
2.  If someone does not think humor is funny, let it go.
3.  If someone thinks humor is offensive, get a clarification in a non-public means (PM, email ((most email addresses are part of the profile)), or let a moderator check it out)
4.  Let's all chill a little.

Grin Grin Grin

ps  It's my birthday!

eagle19952

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: June 25, 2013, 08:17:56 PM »

Last I heard for whatever reason, the engine left the steam bay on Friday or Saturday and sits waiting.....yet. Undecided
« Last Edit: June 25, 2013, 08:24:31 PM by eagle19952 » Logged

Donald PH
1978 Model 05 Eagle w/Torsilastic Suspension,8V71 NA, DDAllison on 24.5's 12kw Kubota.
Wants Paint Smiley
Previously owned by Wee Willie Ent.
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: June 25, 2013, 08:21:41 PM »

I been with you all day and you didn't tell me it was your birthday Doyle and Coffee never said a word either

happy birthday

technomadia

Zephyr - 1961 GM PD-4106-446

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: June 25, 2013, 08:40:30 PM »

PS: The one thing that DOES really bother us is how there have been so many mentions lately of how our "high profile" sharing of our current issues is "going to drive people away" from buying buses, or lower resale values. This is ridiculous - there are many people who are now bus nuts shopping for or owning buses because of us, who would have never even considered the option otherwise. Sharing does not drive people off! Egads!

Yes... I do feel some hesitation in how welcome we are to continue seeking advice, for fear that we're seen as doing 'more harm than good' to the bus community. I've seen several threads make mention of folks not thrilled that we're posting about our 'engine blow up' because it might deter interested buyers.  

And we *have* been a bit gun shy about participating in threads for the past couple of days where we otherwise might for fear of diverting the conversation as this well intentioned thread has been, without us even participating.  (Our apologies to BCO.. your heartfelt inspiring message has been totally derailed.)

We are in touch with a lot of folks in our general age range who are both exploring being full time RVers, and doing so in bus conversions. That's our audience, and our audience is very wide these days. We feel a bit of an obligation in having inspired so many to consider bus conversions, that we feel we should be sharing openly and honestly about the good and the bad.

Since we were so warmly welcomed into this community when we started our search, BCM is the first place we direct bus-interested folks who contact us. And when those folks de-lurk and introduce themselves, and are greeted with squabbling unrelated to them on their very thread - it's really sad to see. Not to say that concerns shouldn't be discussed in their own threads or PMs.

Hey, we're tough cookies. We can take a bit of heat directed at us when folks don't agree with our approach. We mostly just laugh it off and go about our day - as in the end, we all are responsible for our own decisions.

- Cherie

PS. Eeeps... my quoting Chris' reply seems to have deleted his. *sigh*  To summarize his points:

- We haven't been run off - we're still posting new threads, and participating where we can.
- We LOVE the bus community.. it'll take more than a few harsh words to keep us from coming back.

« Last Edit: June 25, 2013, 09:24:55 PM by technomadia » Logged

Cherie and Chris / www.technomadia.com
Full-time 'Technomads' since 2006 (technology enabled nomads)
Van
Billy Van Hagen

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: June 25, 2013, 08:44:47 PM »

Happy Birthday from all of us to all of You Doyle  Smiley

luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: June 25, 2013, 09:04:16 PM »

All depends on you who talk to Cherie I spent time on the phone to day with a guy from here looking at a GM plus several emails seems like not all agree with you
« Last Edit: June 25, 2013, 09:17:31 PM by luvrbus » Logged

plyonsMC9
Global Moderator

Big Wheels Turnin'

« Reply #31 on: June 25, 2013, 09:10:14 PM »

PS: The one thing that DOES really bother us is how there have been so many mentions lately of how our "high profile" sharing of our current issues is "going to drive people away" from buying buses, or lower resale values. This is ridiculous - there are many people who are now bus nuts shopping for or owning buses because of us, who would have never even considered the option otherwise. Sharing does not drive people off! Egads!

Please do continue to share as you have been doing!   This is how folks learn.  You are doing a great service to the  bus community.   It sets realistic expectations about buses.  It's sad when someone gets in to buses, then something totally unexpected happens & next thing we know they are having to sell their "dream".  Better to have prepared, learned, have proper expectations, be informed.  Maybe not buy a bus if one has completely unrealistic expectations.  Be informed.   And I do think it is an awesome journey - obviously.   Cheesy

The board will continue to be a safe place where beginners & experienced alike can post questions & suggestions.  That's how this board is run.  I realize that isn't for everyone - but it's never possible for everyone to be happy.  Things will be returning to more of a focus on buses, and I encourage folks to post your questions!    There's a LOT to learn about these big rigs - aka - our buses.

Please feel free to let myself or the moderators know if you have questions or concerns.  We have a great group of moderators who care about our community and - buses.

Kind Regards to all, Phil

Northern Arizona / 1983 - MC9
technomadia

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: June 25, 2013, 09:27:20 PM »

Somehow the first version of this got deleted....  This is the post that Cherie was quoting a few back...

=====

YOU did not run C&C off.  Repeat, it was not you.  Hell, maybe they still are planning on posting.

Hey - no one ran us off!  Egads!

We are still here tapping into the wisdom of the forums, and sharing our own in the areas where we are relative experts.

And I think everyone benefits from shared experiences - both good and bad.

But the sad thing is - we do know several people who have been run off the boards, or at least turned into lurkers.  Some of them have even contacted us to offer advice, and to let us know that they don't bother to post anymore because of some of the negativity and second-guess that goes on.

It is a problem - and we all can probably do better in communicating, and chilling out.

But overall, we LOVE the bus community.  We love coming to rallies, and meeting bus folks as we travel.

Cheers all!

- Chris

technomadia

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: June 25, 2013, 09:28:13 PM »

All depends on you who talk to Cherie I spent time on the phone to day with a guy from here looking at a GM plus several emails seems like not all agree with you

Seems they don't agree with our approach?  GOOD... I'd be scared if everyone had the same approach. We're all unique and have our own goals and priorities.

Or do they not agree that we have a right to choose our own path and be treated with respect?  Now that I worry about.

luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: June 26, 2013, 05:49:42 AM »

We all go down different paths and probably will after death Smiley

Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: