Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 01, 2014, 05:34:34 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: It will not be stolen by your mailman or your neighbor who also may be into buses.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Pneumatic vs. 12vdc starters for 8V71...  (Read 2138 times)
opus

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2013, 08:21:18 AM »

Don4107, "a cup in the intake"?  LOL, you are showing your age friend!  Sadly I am too.....

1995 BB All-American - A Transformation.
Bill B /bus

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2013, 06:21:29 PM »

When we had the Buffalo the starters lasted 3-4 years. With the wet clutch you could not shift into first from neutral without a massive grind. So start, build air then shut off, shift into first then restart. Had lot of wear on starters.
I agree with the troubleshooting suggestions: verify correct model of starter, check voltage on starting (at the starter post).

Good luck
Bill

Bill & Lynn
MCI102A3, Series 50 w/HT70
chessie4905

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2013, 06:33:16 PM »

Don't  crank it for 60 seconds. You are asking for problems to crop up. If it takes that long to start, either use the heater or use lighter oil in winter. You could use ether, as long as the engine doesn't have starting "issues"all the time.

GMC h8h 649#028
Pennsylvania-central
OneLapper

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2013, 07:12:33 PM »

The engine fires up easily, but I rarely use ether even when I probably should.  I guess I'm guilty of cranking it too long in the cooler weather.  This winter I'll get the Webasto plumbed inline with the engine.  I have all the parts, just need the time.

OneLapper
1964 PD4106-2853
www.markdavia.com
technomadia

Zephyr - 1961 GM PD-4106-446

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2013, 07:48:27 PM »

We haven't had any problems with our starter, but with our engine out and apart now is probably the time to look at it getting it overhauled or at least closely looked over.

Is there anything to keep in mind when doing so?

Our starter is actually the most rust encrusted part of the entire engine - I'm not even sure I can decipher the model number on the stamped plate.

When is it better to replace versus overhaul?

Picture attached.

- Chris

Cherie and Chris / www.technomadia.com
Full-time 'Technomads' since 2006 (technology enabled nomads)
OneLapper

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2013, 08:17:26 PM »

We haven't had any problems with our starter, but with our engine out and apart now is probably the time to look at it getting it overhauled or at least closely looked over.

Is there anything to keep in mind when doing so?

When is it better to replace versus overhaul?

Picture attached.

- Chris

Hi Chris!  Long time follower of your adventures, btw!  I dare say that right NOW is the best time ever to have the starter rebuilt.  What's $200 right now??? What a royal PITA to change out the starter on our 4106s.  If you haven't had any stater issues I recommend having the one on the engine rebuilt.  My issues are partly because I have no fear and will drive 1000 mile north into Canada in January.  Or cruise up to Vermont for BBQ, again in the dead of winter. 

Good luck with your project!   If you were in my neck of the woods we'd be rolling that 8v71 out in no time flat, dragging it down to Performance Diesel and helping Jim Mango build you any flavor 8V71 you want.  40 yrs experience and $65 per hour cash.   Don't tell anyone though. 

OneLapper
1964 PD4106-2853
www.markdavia.com
wg4t50

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2013, 01:35:03 AM »

Everyone has a different take, my take is after 20 years & over 250Kmiles on the same untouched MT40 Delco in the 8V-71, 12V-71 and the 8V-92, I don't get it.  How could anyone screw up a MT40 starter ?,, Lets see, low battery voltage, crank until you melt the solder on the armature, and sling the solder out ? , Geez, total amazement, maybe its time to fix the problem beforeyou need a starter. Nothing starts quicker than a mechanical DD IF it has compression, maybe a 3208 Cat, they are QUICK start engines too.  The bright bulbs think using either is the answer to their problem, it mostly weakens the comression rings, requiring more either.
Of course some have no understanding for the little things like starters, so they just get melted down.
ALSO, not all rebuild shops do even a half way job on rebuilding, most just fix the issue, and paint it,calling it rebuilt.  That is crap, a proper rebuilder never paints the starter and you can read the info plate/sticker and ti will appear nearly new.
Would ask around who/where for a proper rebuild, not a fix & paint. Yes, I am aware of the spray can rebuilds, engines, electrical, you name it. beware.
Cheers

« Last Edit: June 26, 2013, 01:43:04 AM by wg4t50 » Logged

MCI7 20+ Yrs
Foretravel w/ISM500
WG4T CW for over 50 wpm for ever.
Central Virginia
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: