Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
November 23, 2014, 06:42:34 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: By clicking on any ad, a hotlink takes you directly to the advertiserís website.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: CB Radio Recommendations  (Read 870 times)
ABart

Ignore
« on: June 23, 2013, 08:09:41 PM »

I am in the market for a CB Radio.  Does anyone have any specific brand or feature recommendations?

Thank you for your input.

Al
Dave5Cs

1979 MCI MC5Cs 6V-71 HT-740 Allison, Roseville, CA

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2013, 08:46:19 PM »

I got a used Cobra at an estate sale. works well. Paid 1.00 for it. Grin

Dave5Cs

luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2013, 08:50:01 PM »

They still sale CB's ? Midland and Cobra's are the only brands I remember 

Life is short drink the good wine first
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2013, 08:52:50 PM »

Cobra or Midland 40 channel with single side band. But-you'll find the air waves rather blank these days. CB's are good to have to monitor truck channels-but don't do it with children around (@#$%^&*z). Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
trucktramp

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2013, 09:20:42 PM »

Uniden is what I used in a truck.  It took the constant pounding on the dash board and never gave me a bit of trouble.  I think it was a PC 68 or 78 xl.  It looks like a Cobra 29ltd...which is also a good radio.  Galaxy makes a radio that can do a lot when a good tech works on it.  I don't know how well they hold up.  You don't need all of the "toys" that they have for them like echo, talkback, beeps, pingers and other noise makers.  A straight 40 channel AM rig will do most anything you want.  If you want to "talk skip" then get a side band (SSB) radio.  It gives you more frequencies to use but I don't think that many people are still on the air except truck drivers.  Watch garage sales or truck stops or radio repair shops  and you will find a radio for cheap so if it doesn't do what you want you won't be out much.

Dennis Watson
KB8KNP
Scotts, Michigan
1966 MCI MC5A
8V71
Spicer 4 Speed Manual
ABart

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2013, 07:37:08 AM »

Thanks everyone.  I used to keep a CB radio in the seat next to me when I drove long trips.  Primarily, to get a heads up on any police activity ahead of me. Secondarily, to get traffic work arounds.  I am kind of boring, so I do not expect to talk too much.

My old radio burned out a few years ago and I have not replaced it.  On my last long trip, I attracted the attention of a local Sherriff in the Emporia, Virginia speed trap.  If a CB saves me from another ticket, it is worth it.

Ed Hackenbruch

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2013, 03:52:35 PM »

Seems like most truckers are on their cell phones nowadays.

1968 MCI 5A with 8V71 and Allison MT644 transmission.  Western USA
harleyman_1000

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2013, 05:13:54 PM »

I just bought a realistic still unused in the box for a dollar at a garage sale. It even has the power plug that plugs into the cig lighter

Scott 
St.Louis Missouri

1958 GM 4104 Extended 2 feet, with a 6v92 and 5 speed automatic

http://s783.photobucket.com/user/harleyman_1000/library/Gm4104%20bus?sort=3&page=1
Bill B /bus

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2013, 06:10:50 PM »

Find a tech who will tune the radio properly. Ask the tech which to get from the shop or otherwise. Tune the radio. Tune the antenna(s) for  minimum (V)SWR. Then you will have a clean audio signal transmitting that will get out a fairly long way even at 5 watts. With a "good" tech you will be getting 15-20 watts at the antenna. I wrote antennas because with buses and mirror mounts you can run the matched pair at 108" apart. If you due then the cable length from the coupler/splitter has to be exactly the same for each leg.

Bill & Lynn
MCI102A3, Series 50 w/HT70
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: