Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 26, 2014, 12:00:13 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It will not get torn up or crushed if you back over it with your bus.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Converting a MC9 to 12v?  (Read 1092 times)
Jeremy

1987 Bedford Plaxton

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2013, 04:45:29 PM »

Just to add that the term 'converter' also covers DC-to-DC units (eg, 24v DC to 12v DC converters, which are very common and probably exactly what is required here). But (to answer the specific question that was asked) a 24v to 12v converter isn't good way of charging the 12v bank as you need more than 12v to charge a 12v battery - there are proper 'battery to battery' chargers available for that purpose

(Just to confuse things further, in fact 24v to 12v converters typically do produce slightly more than 12v because car accessory devices are typically designed to run on slightly more than 12v - because most of the time (ie, when the engine is running) car electrical systems run at more than 12v. But a proper battery-to-battery charge is still what you want if you want to charge the house batteries directly from the chassis batteries.

Jeremy

A shameless plug for my business - visit www.magazineexchange.co.uk for back issue magazines - thousands of titles covering cars, motorbikes, aircraft, railways, boats, modelling etc. You'll find lots of interest, although not much covering American buses sadly.
Cecil The Diesel

Vagabond Dreamer, Rhymer And Singer Of Songs

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2013, 11:55:03 PM »

Yes thanks for those terms.

What about installing a secondary 12v alternator to charge the house batteries?

I'm pretty sure I'm gonna go with 12v LED's for the top running lights and just run them in a series so I can solve the two central side lights not working issue. Has anyone else went this route?

1982 MCI MC-9 8V71 5 Speed

Support Independent Outlaw Country
www.peeweemoore.com
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2013, 07:03:08 AM »

I know a lot of people that have converted their MCI 5,8 and 9 and 1 GM 4905 to 12 volt from 24 volt using the same wiring and it has never been a problem for any of those over the years  

I converted both our 8 and 5 using the factory wiring to 12 volt the last I heard both were still going I did split a couple of circuits 
« Last Edit: June 28, 2013, 07:22:32 AM by luvrbus » Logged

Life is short drink the good wine first
oldmansax
Tom & Phyllis

'82 Bluebird Wanderlodge PT40

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2013, 05:01:38 PM »

What about installing a secondary 12v alternator to charge the house batteries?

I had that on my old MC7 & it worked very nicely.

TOM

'82 BlueBird WanderLodge PT40 being rebuilt
Delaware

DON'T STEAL! The government hates competition!
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: